Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Tips would you give to a New Quilter? >

What Tips would you give to a New Quilter?

What Tips would you give to a New Quilter?

Old 08-14-2011, 09:38 AM

Learn the basics. Learn about straight of grain and bias cut. Do a 9 patch, rail fence or a log cabin. Measure twice, cut once. If you know any quilters in your area, ask for help. I can't believe any quilter would charge or refuse your request. Follow this board, you will learn a LOT! Best wishes on your quilting future.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:34 PM

A walking foot is a good investment.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:38 PM

don't be afraid to trust yourself and how creative you actually are. Learn the basics... 1/4' seam and so forth..but most of all HAVE FUN!
Old 08-14-2011, 05:51 PM

Relax and go with the flow. It doesn't matter what others think, as long as you like what you've created.
In the Grand Scheme of Things, which is going to matter more? That all of your points matched or that your quilt kept someone warm and let them know they were loved?
Old 08-14-2011, 06:13 PM

I just purchased my first walking foot. Is it for quilting only, or do you like to use it to piece, as well?
Old 08-14-2011, 06:16 PM

All these tips are good and I agree on them. I read all of them and you will notice one person said to throw out the rules and be creative, and another person said she disagrees...they are both correct, in my experience.

When I first learnt to quilt, it seemed like a lot of things to remember and I guess it was a bit overwhelming. Then, a few years ago I picked up a quilting book and the author explained at the beginning of her book that people have different learning styles. Some of us tend to be more technical, while others are more creative. And we probably or can have a blend of both styles. She wrote and illustrated the book with both types of learning preferences.

What that book did for me was to identify my comfortable learning preference. I can't draw a decent stick figure but I can follow instructions, practice and gain confidence. In life, I'm a rule keeper...not so bad, it probably keeps me out of trouble! But I also appreciate and love the creativity and freedom that other's have in creating their own quilts. Getting out of the "box" is a push for me and is rewarding as well.

In a nutshell: Learn what your own quilting style is.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by NatalieMacDonald
All these tips are good and I agree on them. I read all of them and you will notice one person said to throw out the rules and be creative, and another person said she disagrees...they are both correct, in my experience.

When I first learnt to quilt, it seemed like a lot of things to remember and I guess it was a bit overwhelming. Then, a few years ago I picked up a quilting book and the author explained at the beginning of her book that people have different learning styles. Some of us tend to be more technical, while others are more creative. And we probably or can have a blend of both styles. She wrote and illustrated the book with both types of learning preferences.

What that book did for me was to identify my comfortable learning preference. I can't draw a decent stick figure but I can follow instructions, practice and gain confidence. In life, I'm a rule keeper...not so bad, it probably keeps me out of trouble! But I also appreciate and love the creativity and freedom that other's have in creating their own quilts. Getting out of the "box" is a push for me and is rewarding as well.

In a nutshell: Learn what your own quilting style is.
I'm a lot like you. Thanks for the advice. Do you remember the name of the book?
Old 08-14-2011, 06:59 PM

Take a class if you can afford it and get the basics. Use the "search" on this QB for what ever you want to know about and you will be shocked at how many answers you will find! This board is a great resource!!
Old 08-14-2011, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by quiltmouse
I just purchased my first walking foot. Is it for quilting only, or do you like to use it to piece, as well?
I like to use a 1/4" foot for piecing so I know it is accurate. There are a couple different kinds out there. I only use the walking foot when I am sewing more layers...like a quilt or today I should have used a walking foot when I put a strap on a tote I was making - it would have been neater.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rona thickpenny
Buy two rubber door stops place them at the back of your machine to prop it at an angle , helps to ease nexk ache.Best tip I ever had .
Ooooh I have to try this one! Thanks :)