Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: what is too young?

Blog Entries
    i was encouraged at age 3 to sew buttons on a pc of fabric. i picked out antique buttons i liked and was able to keep them if i could sew them down. Boy, i wish i had those buttons now. i haven't stopped since. i waas lucky to have that neighbor Aunt Betty who taught me how to sew

Blog Entries
    I am sooooo glad I read this thread. My 11 yr old DGS bugs me all the time to let him sew. I don't have much patience, but he has been around when we have had sewing group and some of the other ladies are really good with him. I think this thread has given me some ideas to try and work with him. He is ADHD too boot, so not sure how it will go. He did make a pillow a couple of weeks ago and did a very nice job of it. Thanks for the encouragement!! I love this site!!

Quote Originally Posted by Riversong
    My grand daughter is 3. She just started her first doll quilt on her little Janome.Its all crooked but I am proud of her and she was so tickled. I am more concerned with her learning to opertate the machine than get seams right,and she is well on her way...
    Awww, she is adorable! She did a good job too!

If she is interested, find simple things for her to do.

For hand sewing, I too, suggest plastic canvas to sew together. She can make a box out of 6 squares. Leave the lid hinged on only one side, and she can put stuff in it!

Have fun, and when she is tired, let her go. Don't try to finish something when she is tired.

Enjoy!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2