Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is this tool? (Handquilting) >

What is this tool? (Handquilting)

What is this tool? (Handquilting)

Old 02-25-2011, 07:28 PM

i wonder how dipping the plier part of beading pliers in that plasti kote stuff they use on tool handles would work? wouldn't damage the needle.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:48 PM

I haven't seen one before, but it looks like some type of needle puller
Old 02-25-2011, 08:20 PM

It grabs the loaded needle and pulls it thru.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
Quickie youtube video...what's the yellow thing? Is it a common handquilting tool? I think it would be UBER helpful for me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oh_g...eature=related

I checked out some sites and apparently the tool {aka hedgehog) is new to the US. (It was developed in 1998 in Holland.) I've seen them as low as $10 so far.

"[The needle puller]Enables [the] needle to be pulled through when loaded with up to 7 stitches."

It looks like the convenience is that you don't have to pick up another tool while quilting, millinery or dollmaking.

http://gomestic.com/consumer-informa...ller/#comments

I'm a gadget person. I go to the hardware store all the time and look at tools thinking how can I use them in other ways.

I thought about using the needle puller for dog grooming when my farm dogs shed their matted winter coats and for removing ticks. ;-) ok...someone said "yuck"..... ;-)

What other ways could it be used?
Old 02-25-2011, 08:59 PM

It is a needle puller, I have had 2 of them and although they work well for a little while, they break easily. I now use a needlenose pliers if I need help. I have a lot of arthritis in my hands and sometimes I do not have the dexterity to pull the needle through the fabric. I won't purchase another one because the break too easily.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:14 PM

Here's the translation from Dutch: Demonstration of the Needle Tractor, tool for hand quilting. No more sore fingers and aching muscles at the quilting! No more sore hands constantly quilting with this Needlepuller. See the demonstration of how the Neeldepuller is Used.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:39 PM

I, too, have used needle nose pliers, which means time to pick up, put down, etc. I ordered one as I do hand quilting most of the time. Looks like a bargain to me! Thanks for all the help from you nice people. I love this forum. Bless you all.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:49 PM

I used to use a small pair of needle nose pliers when hand
quilting to pull the needle.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
Originally Posted by ptquilts
$12.95 for a screw and a tiny piece of plastic???!!!! Wow.

Jan in VA
I'm with Jan. Not only is it expensive, it looked like it was slowing the quilter down quite a bit. This is why I almost always wear a surgical glove (50/$5.00 from the pharmacy). It gives me a sure grip on the needle at all times. I believe someone else mentioned cutting the tips of fingers out of rubber gloves; that works, too. Recycling dream ..... wear out the glove in the dishpan; then re-use the tips for quilting!
Old 02-25-2011, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
never seen it before, it is used like a pliers to grip the needle and pull it through. I usually use my scissors to do that on the rare occasion when it gets stuck.
I had to watch it twice to see what she was doing.
I thought it was a needle puller of some type, then you found it on Clotilde, and that's it's name. It sure is a cheap little jewel isn't it? I bet it works great though.
When I finally have to get the binding finished and MUST sew by hand I use a thinble on my middle finger and a rubber thumb thinble I call it on my thumb and use both to pull the needle through if it gets stuck. I has worked for me, not practical perhaps but, then I do as little hand sewing as possible.