Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to use to transfer designs onto a quilt top?  Ponce suggestions, tips?? >

What to use to transfer designs onto a quilt top? Ponce suggestions, tips??

What to use to transfer designs onto a quilt top? Ponce suggestions, tips??

Old 06-02-2012, 05:29 AM

For large areas, yes, i just wash the quilt. For small things, I still use water, but I paint it on just the lines. I've found that erasing the lines, even with a very soft eraser, tends to stretch the fabric too much. (I do not use the colored leads, just the white and rarely the gray)
Old 06-02-2012, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
For large areas, yes, i just wash the quilt. For small things, I still use water, but I paint it on just the lines. I've found that erasing the lines, even with a very soft eraser, tends to stretch the fabric too much. (I do not use the colored leads, just the white and rarely the gray)
I currently have a 'sample' square marked in green (the white is not visible, it's too light a fabric) and after letting it lay for a week or three I'll see what works and what doesn't in getting it off. I want it to 'set in' a bit, as I'd like to mark my quilt in larger pieces instead of small bits at a time, so I need to know how it reacts after it's been on there a while.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:22 AM

Good luck. I've heard the green is particularly hard to remove, pink too. Sewline marks have never rubbed off in the process of quilting for me and I don't baby it at all. It isn't chalk, it's ceramic and does not rub off like chalk. A gentle hand is all you need for the marking, not a heavy line, just enough to see it.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Good luck. I've heard the green is particularly hard to remove, pink too. Sewline marks have never rubbed off in the process of quilting for me and I don't baby it at all. It isn't chalk, it's ceramic and does not rub off like chalk. A gentle hand is all you need for the marking, not a heavy line, just enough to see it.
Yeah, it's hard to remove. That's also why I'm trying it out on a seperate piece first. I'm thinking of maybe using a blue chalk my mother uses for marking when she's making clothing. I also have a pen that disappears when water's added, but I've had trouble getting it to disappear on light fabrics before. I had to spray with water multiple times, because it kept coming back. So I don't want to use that one.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:07 PM

Thanks, feline fanatic, for the great pounce directions. Think the literal pouncing motion has been the reason why a lot of quilters have not had much luck with it. I had never heard of the ultimate pounce powder but I will look for this now. Again, thank you!

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
The above suggestions are for machine quilting. The OP asked about hand quilting. The pounce pad will work but you need to use the ultimate pounce powder, the kind that stays until you wash or remove with an iron. The regular pounce chalk will rub off too easily and most of your marks will be gone, unless you mark as you go which is quite do-able, I have hand quilted many quilts that I marked as I went.

I believe the only pounce powder available in ultimate is the white, so if your quilt is light colored you will have to use the blue powder and then you will need to mark as you go. I have heard if you spray your chalk mark with cheap hairspray once applied to the quilt it will stay until you wash it out. I have not tried this myself but it certainly sounds like a good idea that would work.

Contrary to what the name of the product implies, you do not "pounce" the pounce pad over the stencil, you rub it over the stencil like rubbing an eraser over a chalkboard. You first "load" the pad with chalk by giving it a sharp rap against a hard surface with the cover on. Then you gently swipe or rub the pad over your stencil.

You can use any stencil, not just Pounce's own stencils but I have found stencils that have pointy bits tend to bend and snag on the pad sometimes. It is a bit of an annoyance and you just have to remember to go carefully over those parts of the stencil and try not to rub into the point. Hard to describe in the written word. Once you do it you will understand what I am talking about.

Pounce is a quick and easy product to work with. Much less time consuming then trying to trace your stencil with a water soluble pen. I have found that many of those pens points don't fit nicely in the stencil cut out.