Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the Web's latest Quilting Craze? >

What is the Web's latest Quilting Craze?

What is the Web's latest Quilting Craze?

Old 02-01-2012, 07:02 PM

Thanks I looked at the book info and reviews. Looks like you need software as well as pattern book. May put those on a
future project list. Thanks, Teresa
Old 02-02-2012, 03:33 AM

I would just buy the software of the DEar Jane. I have it and I just google the book and look at the pictures. You can get the software from the Electric Quilt company at a good price and it free standing, you don't need another program to run it.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:51 AM

I just finished my first bargello attempt. I did mine in pastels. I did enjoy doing it, and can see myself doing a more complicated one in the future. I do mostly charity quilts, so do strippy or patchy ones that go together quickly. I would like to try a star block. I'm not into anything too complicated, I lose interest too easily and get frustrated. I don't want to accumulate any more UFOs. I also want to do a quilt with all batik fabrics, don't know what pattern though. I also want to try my hand at an art quilt, and a landscape quilt, one of these days.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:22 AM

i'm not a younger quilter, i'm 60, but i am in love with modern quilts and liberated quilting. i also am dieing to dye and print my own fabrics. i told my dh last night that we'll be re-doing the kitchen so i might as well do the color work in there. he lost all the color in his face-- don't know why? anyway, i love this movement toward free expression, but i also love learning and making traditional blocks. still need to make my lonestar and carpenter's star. i adore art quilts and can't wait to make a slew of those, too. i want them to be bed size and used, not little and only good for wall hanging. it's an exciting movement!

Last edited by nancia; 02-02-2012 at 05:27 AM.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:24 AM

So many ideas, so little time. I think that crumb quilting is starting to become popular. It is something that you can do with mindless effort between the more complicated quilting. I find it is fun, and creative. It is a project that you can start and stop, and add to your blocks when the mood strikes. A great way to use up those scraps.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:42 AM

Thanks for the link to Modern Quilts - I'm not one of those "Younger Quilter" (LOL) but I also love the colors, contrast and the easy quilting on the quilts.

Originally Posted by dixie_fried View Post
Just about everything posted at Modern quilt guild makes my heart race. But, I think I'm one of those "Younger quilters" mentioned a few posts back. I love bright colors, lots of contrast, and some negative space in a quilt.

Here is the 100 days of modern quilts link: http://themodernquiltguild.com/
Old 02-02-2012, 07:00 AM

I would have to say for the last five years and growing by leaps and bounds internationally are MOD Quilters,i.e, modern quilters (improv piecers). It started online about 5 years ago and now quilds are forming internationally like wild fire.

They already have showings at tradtional quilt shows and also have there own going in line with fiber art groups.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
I have noticed, even in the most recent American Quilter from AQS, that scrap quilts are getting a lot of attention. I can only assume it's due the backlash from rising cotton fabric prices and the quilters's need to use stash more often.

Jan in VA
Scrap quilts and rag quilts and certainly rag quilts here in our area. I made a bunch of them last fall and now we have a ton of ladies from two quilt guilds I belong to making them. I also belong to a Wednesday sew group and I think most all of them have made them and are still making them.

I am pretty much an Improv Piecer and will sew tons of the material scraps and use it later in my one of a kind designs.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:18 AM

I've been reading and hearing a lot about Catherdal Windows.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:26 AM

I really like the spider web quilt that Missouri Quilt is doing with the foundation papers and the template.
Here is a link to the tute:

http://quiltingtutorials.com/all/spi...-web-template/

A wonderful way to use up the scraps.