Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What -"Why didn't I try that before" moment have you had quilting?

I buy metal Ginghers for utility scissors! They are heavy, cut through most anything, and no one bothers to look for 'good' scissors. DH will toss a pair of scissors if they don't cut through the fist time and he hasn't tossed the Ginghers yet. He bought the largest size for his shop after using the ones in the kitchen. I prefer the serrated blade scissors for my best sewing scissors. I have serrated blade scissor in all sizes. My favorite fabric scissors now are the Elan serrated non stick made in Japan. Some popular serrated scissors have very thin blades and using them for anything other then fabric will warp the blades. Havel seems to be the sturdiest of the serrated blades. I use them when I have fabric thickness to cut.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I think buying things you use all the time ahead is my favorite a ha. when you begin a project, it is so nice to have everything right there and ready. I live up out of town and driving in for just this or that was such a pain in a snow storm. Now I buy by the bolt or big lot of things like white beige and black fabrics and threads, lightweight and medium fusible, lightweight Foam for purses, sewing machine needles in many sizes and embroidery stabilizers. And the biggie, battings and backings for finished tops awaiting quilting.
    Last edited by RedGarnet222; 06-09-2019 at 11:35 AM.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    Actually read the instruction books that came with my machines.

All sorts of useful information in them.
    this is me too! Who knew all that writing was actually useful?
    I learned to keep mine under my extension table for immediate
    access.
    It is a blessing, to be a blessing !
    ~Quilters are warm people!!!~
    cheese brings parties together

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...HJV/weight.png

Quote Originally Posted by RedGarnet222 View Post
    I think buying things you use all the time ahead is my favorite a ha. when you begin a project, it is so nice to have everything right there and ready. I live up out of town and driving in for just this or that was such a pain in a snow storm. Now I buy by the bolt or big lot of things like white beige and black fabrics and threads, lightweight and medium fusible, lightweight Foam for purses, sewing machine needles in many sizes and embroidery stabilizers. And the biggie, battings and backings for finished tops awaiting quilting.
    living rurally we had to learn to "stock up" to save time and gas, gas, gas!
    When it comes to quilting, having to wait can really take the steam out of
    my motivation sometimes. I see lots of squirrels!

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Mousie View Post
    living rurally we had to learn to "stock up" to save time and gas, gas, gas!
    When it comes to quilting, having to wait can really take the steam out of
    my motivation sometimes. I see lots of squirrels!
    Do you chase them, too?

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    Do you chase them, too?
    these days I am way too slow!

How does this work?

Quote Originally Posted by scrappingfaye58 View Post
    How does this work?
    how does this thread work?
    You tell about something that you'd heard about but never did and it
    was your "aha" moment. Or it could be something you figured out on
    your own etc.

I figured out years ago that I got way more done in my sewing room as
    long as I kept my husband out of there.
    He has to rib me about everything!

Quote Originally Posted by donna13350 View Post
    Mine was using a kettle bell on my long ruler. Never cut such accurate strips until I used one.
    I keep meaning to pick up a weight at the Dollar Tree for this!

Quote Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
    I removed the "top" rail from my LA. I've always floated my quilts and left the rail unused, but then always had to be tucking the top and batting under and it made it hard to adjust as I was working. I figured I needed it as it helped to add tension to the quilt, but then realized that I always loosened the quilt enough before quilting (my machine likes a rather loose quilt) and at that point it was doing nothing.
    I fought with that rail for several years - and it is sure nice having it gone and the quilting is not affected by not having it there.
    Thank you for this. I'm going to try it as I float my tops as well. Great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by IrishMom View Post
    I keep meaning to pick up a weight at the Dollar Tree for this!
    I been using a 8lb dumb bell like I saw on Jordan fabrics youtubes. It really helps when you are using the 24in long ruler

Had always wondered about what the big "To Do" was about Feather Weights. After many years, I got one. Why did I wait so long!!?? I love that little guy!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-11-2019 at 01:09 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps

Quote Originally Posted by love to sew View Post
    I been using a 8lb dumb bell like I saw on Jordan fabrics youtubes. It really helps when you are using the 24in long ruler
    I really should try this! Hubby has an entire weight set, but I don't think he uses the five pounders in his workouts. I'll ask him if I can borrow one.
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

Making string quilt blocks! So easy and fun!
    Quilting is definitely not for the faint of heart.

Finding out there is a walking foot for my sewing machine and now sewing binding on is not such a problem.

Mine was investing in a better sewing machine. My little Brother always, even new, struggled with a straight stitch. It pulled my fabric off to the left. I loved the idea of sewing and creating but I felt like I was fighting with my machine. Even after a trip to the repairman, it stIll did it, though it was lessened. I finally made the decision to upgrade for bigger harp space. I narrowed down my choices reading the threads here, researching online, and speaking to the local repairman. After that, I went into some dealers to try machines. What a difference it was! I have finished 4 quilts since I bought my machine in December when I had previously only finished a table runner and some placemats. I even started free motion quilting. Iím so pleased with my machine.

My next was learning about chain piecing. Now it seems like such a ďduhĒ type of thing but I didnít learn about it until I watched online tutorials.

Thank you, IrishMom for such a useful thread. I got several ideas of things to try.

I've gotten so many tips from board members that I would never have known.
    One of my favorites is using Elmer's Washable School Glue for basting. I love that technique!!
    But there are many others, all thanks to all of you.

My abilities and desire to quilt can be directly related to this board and the members on it. Before I found it I would do a tee shirt quilt once every two or three years. Then I discovered these boards and they gave me the technical suggestions and the creativity spark needed. Especially having joined in some of the swaps. Although my husband might just call these boards my enablers!

And Michele, I'm with you on chain piecing as well! That and strip sewing and cutting - so fast but you get so many pieces when you are done!

And thanks csstexas -- so many good things to try!

Susie - I've read about that and need to research it more. Last week I spray basted a quilt with a different brand spray since my favorite was out. Well the house still smells of it, as I am constantly reminded by my husband and daughter! And after spray basting I can't go back to pinning.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2