Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would be the easiest way to......? >

What would be the easiest way to......?

What would be the easiest way to......?

Old 09-09-2010, 08:17 PM

The permanent red pen is pigma marker, I believe. I've also used them in different colors for embellishing and writing on quilt labels....
Old 09-09-2010, 08:23 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ckcowl
for me (and my granddaughter and i both are always working on embroideries) always use a fine point pencil. the lines can be seen, do not rub off, but do wash out. i've tried dozens of different products out there, but always go back to a good ole pencil. and you can use a white pencil on dark fabrics.
I do this too...some products just don't work as well and the pencil is a lot cheaper!
Old 09-09-2010, 08:32 PM

I pin my muslin to my pattern so nothing shifts, then if I am going to do a red work like my campbells soup kid, I use a red jellyroll pen to trace the pattern with it on my light box.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:37 PM

i was shown something today at a LQS that has a new kind of transfer paper. You run it through your printer and then peal off the backing and it sticks to your material. Her stitch through the transfer and then place the project in water and it lifts right off. NO stickiness no lines.It's great new stuff......I don't remember the name though sorry.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:34 AM

I'm jumping in here too. Instead of basting muslin on the back of my embroidery fabric, I fuse a layer of light weight fusible on the back of the blocks, after I trace the design with a fine point pencil. All the handling it does pill a little but I think it is much easier to manage than the basted fabric. I use a hoop when I hand embroider, but a friend does the fusing, and likes it better because she doesn't embroider with one. Have fun, I love how relaxing the hand work is in the evening....and keeps me from snacking because I don't want to get the fabric dirty :)
Old 09-10-2010, 03:45 AM

There is a new pencil out there called Sketch and Wash. Need to give it a try!
Old 09-10-2010, 05:02 AM

I have a Bohin eversharp pencil with a fine lead to use, love it. The leads come in several colors, including white. Not available everywhere but ask for it in the quilt shops. There is also another Bohin transfer set that is used for quilting but the leads are very large, they work great for longarm guidance.

I do alot of transferring for embroidery and quilting and have found some pencils in the art dept. One is General's Scribe All, comes in black and white; another is Dixon Photomark. The General's pencils are water soluble and do go away with washing, although embroidery usually covers the lines.
A good and large light box is still a good investment, beats standing next to a window and copying designs.
Carol J.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:02 AM
pal

I use a light box and regular pencil, and a non fusible interfacing which I baste onto my fabric after so that you don't see the connections through the fabric.

Made a mistake on my current embroidery - which I'll never do again - but it is too late for this one. I used a really good muslin which is too dense, and three threads of embroidery floss. It's really hard to pull through and the three threads makes the picture look coarse.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:38 AM

When I was first thinking about doing redwork, Simply quilts had a show on it. You can see how long ago that was. She said she uses a pencil it is covered by the time you are done anyway. I have used a pencil for all of mine. Don't use it too heavy it will show, but pencil works best for me. Then I took a old scanner I had bought at a thrift store, bought some cheap light strips to go inside took out all the insides and I have a light box. It was easy to do and not at all expensive.

Rita.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:45 AM
PEP

At Jo Ann Fabrics they have pencils that once you have traced your pattern onto tissue paper (that's what I use)
then turn it over and use this pencil and retrace the pattern on the back, or what is the wrong side, then iron this onto your fabric. There are directions on the pencil.