Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: What would be the easiest way to......?

They have a transfer pencil at Joanne's. You trace the picture, turn it "on to" the fabric and iron...and it transfers. It comes in red and blue...for redwork, of course, you'd use the red one...it does NOT wash out well so keep the lines thin.

I think there is a "transfer" pen made for transfering patterns. I believe it's in the notions section of my favorite fabric store. I don't remember exactly how it works, but I probably have one - someplace ..(you know the logic...must have it "just in case one day I want to ....")

I use the new Sharpie pen, that doesn't bleed through, in red

Under the stars and the moon and the sun...
    I just did this day before yesterday....LOL....I put the picture up to my computer screen and used a transfer pencil to trace the pattern on the back of the original. Now all I have to do is iron it onto my fabric.....The pattern is for redwork and I have a kinda red colored heat transfer pencil. I dont have to worry about tracing the pattern going the wrong direction....Good luck with which ever procedure you choose...

I recommend using a transfer paper which can print out from the ink-jet printer then ironing on your fabric block. You may find that paper at The OfficeMax. paying some money but saving your big time.....

that little campbell soup boy is so cute...like the quilting, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Central Ohio Quilter
    Great idea! Thanks!

Any recommendations for what kind of marking pen that you like best, that washes out easily, but will stay on the fabric for as long as you need it to?
    I use crayola childrens washable markers. You can pick the color that works best for you and they wash out great. I am visually impaired and the blue just doesn't cut it for me. My Mother suggested this to me and it works great. I always take a piece of scrap material and scribble all over it and let it dry. Then wash it out to make sure it will wash out. Haven't been disappointed yet.

My husband made a light box for me. Just nailed 5 pieces of 1/2" boards together (for the 4 sides and the bottom and cut a small hole in 1 side for the cord. I set a very small table lamp (which I happened to have) in the bottom of the box and had a piece of glass cut for the top. I love it.

My "lightbox" is an old Betsy McCall Fashion Designer lit tracing box. I made hundreds of paper doll outfits with it, and now use it all the time for sewing and crafts. Did anyone else have one of those? If so, I know about how old you are LOL!!

Blog Entries
    I have some "redwork" designs that I printed off a web site that I would like to embroider for inserting into a quilt.

What would be the easiest way to transfer these redwork designs onto a piece of fabric to embroider?

Looking for ideas! Thanks!
    I once found a transfer pencil. The way it worked was, you traced over the pattern with the pencil, then flipped the (traced) pattern on to your cloth and ironed it on to your cloth just like an iron on transfer pattern. Problem is I have not been able to find any more of these transfer pencils anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    PiecesinMN - what was the purpose of using the two pieces of muslin? For greater stability?

Did embroidering through 2 layers of fabric make it more difficult to embroider?

Did you like using the double layers, or was it more of a hassle?

Sorry so many questions, but I just never heard of that before!
    I would like to know, too.
    I would also like to know starting a Christmas Redwork quilt I got from Grandma's Attic.

Quote Originally Posted by inletjerry
    I use Freezer paper cut to needed size, and iron muslin to it. Insert into copier the pattern that you want to copy, make certain that muslin/freezer paper is inserted with muslin side down in the paper feed, hit copy, and walla- ready to stitch after removing freezer paper. Works great for me. Good luck-
    This is a great idea, I will try it.

Blog Entries
    I have also heard, or read somwhere, that you cam make a zerox copy of your pattern, and use that zerox copy as a transfer iron on pattern. Has anyone tried this?

pal
    O.K. nobody asked but thought I'd give you the name of the stabilzer that I use when hand- embroidering on thin fabric. It keeps the embroidery floss from showing through when you
    "travel" from one spot to another. It comes in a plastic package and is called

Soft'n Sheer Cut-Away Permanent Stabilizer by Sulky.

Quote Originally Posted by pal
    O.K. nobody asked but thought I'd give you the name of the stabilzer that I use when hand- embroidering on thin fabric. It keeps the embroidery floss from showing through when you
    "travel" from one spot to another. It comes in a plastic package and is called

Soft'n Sheer Cut-Away Permanent Stabilizer by Sulky.
    Thanks for the sugestion I have written it down and will find some because I want the Christmas quilt to look great for several generations. Gail

pal
    Forgot to mention that the Soft'n Sheer can be found in the sewing notions dept of Jo-Ann's, not the quilting dept.

Quote Originally Posted by pal
    Forgot to mention that the Soft'n Sheer can be found in the sewing notions dept of Jo-Ann's, not the quilting dept.
    Thanks again. Gail

Banned
    Blog Entries
    they have transfer paper, and a transfer pencil, I have had a tablet forever, and love it, you just trace the pattern, and then iron it on, you can use the same paper with the design on it, a couple of times. God bless.

I have some "red work" designs that I printed off a web site that I would like to embroider for inserting into a quilt.

What would be the easiest way to transfer these red work designs onto a piece of fabric to embroider?

Looking for ideas! Thanks!
    I would first iron the fabric onto freezer paper then trace the patterns onto your fabric with marking pencil you like the best.

Super Member Central Ohio Quilter's Avatar
    Thanks so much for your ideas and help!

Blog Entries
    My light box is a clothes rack with a trouble light clipped to the rung and plexiglass across the top. Easy to put away too.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3