Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would you consider charging? >

What would you consider charging?

What would you consider charging?

Old 07-30-2013, 02:50 AM

The smaller objects don't automatically mean less worth as they can and often take more time than a straightforward large object. For a baby quilt, I would ask no less than $100.
MaryKatherine
Old 07-30-2013, 02:59 AM

I always heard it was the cost of material Times 3 or 4. So that would be $105.00 to $120.00. A more difficult quilt would be 140.00 to 160.00.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:00 AM
Power Poster

this is why I really dis-like making baby/kids quilts- you really need to charge more than most people are really willing to pay. I have made a few- for a while everyone wanted me to make a game quilt for them- I could not find a way to make one for less than $150 - but felt bad having to charge so much- some people still wanted them and paid- but I find it stressful so I try to avoid the situation. now if I make a baby/kids quilt for a gift before I wrap it up I decide (just in case) what it would take for me to make another one- *hours spent, materials, quilting* - decide on a price (generally somewhere between $150 & $200) and if it's one I really don't want to make again I will double that-just to ward off the request...sometimes I make a really great quilt that I really hope to never make again.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Costs of materials is one thing ... and don't forget all the supplies that are used. It's not just fabric!

Your time ... consider how long you take to make a quilt. At $50 ... can you make that quilt in just 2 or 3 hours? Unless it is a very basic one, I doubt it! And even the simpler ones still take time thru to the end of sewing on the binding!

Next time you make a quilt, track how many hours ... it'll be an eye opener!!
And don't forget washing the fabric and cutting it out ready to sew ... all takes time!
I agree with QuiltE, 'all takes time'....just ask any car mechanic....ever get a bill from one of them? (their labor IS their time!) and no I'm not saying that a quilt is up their ($-wise) with what would be charged to fix my car, but quilting is very labor intensive with all that is needed to complete a quilt from start to finish. $150 for a baby quilt sounds reasonable....you could also check the price for baby quilts sold at higher end department stores - they aren't cheap!
Old 07-30-2013, 04:16 AM

Thanks again everyone, I sincerely appreciate all the comments. If she calls to ask about a price I think I will tell her how expensive the fabrics, batting and thread will be and then give her an estimate of time and at least a minimum of $100. I think that will turn her off, which is great because she is the type of person who thinks her kids are the best ever, her house is the greatest and everything she does is simply the best. She doesn't sew so she couldn't compare that, I did see her looking at the quilt very close so she must have appreciated the work. Again, thanks, you guys are so super, you really helped me make a tuff decision!
Old 07-30-2013, 04:55 AM

good posts and something to think about if you are asked to make a quilt for someone. Thanks all.
Pat
Old 07-30-2013, 05:14 AM

I am currently struggling with the same question. I have been asked to make 2 baby quilts for 2 different people. One has picked a pattern. I figure about $50 for materials for one. Was thinking of charging about $150 to $200. It is a pattern that is medium difficult. The other quilt we haven't even discussed much yet. She would like me to make it from her moms old scrubs. So minimal material costs. Both of these people are highly paid professionals. I wonder what they think my time is worth?
Old 07-30-2013, 05:21 AM

It doesn't sound to me like you really want to make this quilt for her. Here's my answer..Just say "No"!! It is certainly OK to say you only quilt for yourself. Its not worth the stress. We are not obligated to satisfy requests of acquaintances, friends, or even family.

On the price..I think many people assume they can get "homemade" cheaper than "store bought". If she really is concerned about the thought that goes into a gift rather than the cost and since everything she does is "the best", she won't really care much about what you charge her and should be willing to pay for quality.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:58 AM

I made purses for the daughters and DIL's. One of the other mothers asked how much I would charge, I said $300. Because I make and give from the heart, not the purse. I sew for my pleasure. She never asked again. Now what it really comes down to, "Do you want to make quilts as a business?" Because that is how you have to go into this. For me, NO!!!!
Old 07-30-2013, 07:32 AM
Power Poster

I only give my quilts to family, friends and relatives and some friend of relatives. I quilts my choice of who gets them and which ones. Charging for a quilt is more stress than I care to deal with. Plus keeping track of material costs and all that for taxes, is not worth it. My time is not worth a lot because I do quilt making instead of wasting time watching TV or something else.