Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would you consider charging? >

What would you consider charging?

What would you consider charging?

Old 07-30-2013, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by mom-6 View Post
I don't do sewing of any kind for the public. Friends and family I usually do whatever I do as a gift. Occasionally I will do something that I get paid for.

If a "random person" asks me how much I would charge to make a quilt my standard answer is my prices start at $350. Haven't had any takers! Thank goodness.

And I'm trying to break my daughter's habit of telling people "oh my mom can. . ."

It's not so much not wanting to do it as fearing I won't get it done in a timely manner.
I like the way you said that. Soon sorts the wheat from the chaff. I prefer to make for friends as a gift.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:37 AM

Crafters used to use a formula of 3 times the cost of materials. So your materials are $45.00 get that paid up front then the cost to make is $135.00 for a total of $180.00
Old 07-30-2013, 10:31 AM

The way I price mine is estimate the yardage for top & backing plus batting & thread. When I estimate the yardage, I use the higher price for fabric, but always tell them if I can get the fabric on sale then the price will be a little lower. If they don't like my prices, then they can buy all the materials themselves. Then I double that price & add 20 % to that. I also insist on half down ( non refundable) before even starting the project. That way I am not out anything if they decide not to finish paying for it. I have never had a problem with the rest of the payment as they don't want to lose what they have already invested in it. Always insist on full payment before handing over the quilt.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:51 PM

Wow, what ever happened to the fact that you love to sew? My baby quilts I make I charge $20.00 to a friend at work whose family is always having babies. I have more than enough fabric that will probably still be around long after I'm gone, my quilts are usually 45" by 45", sometimes a 45" x 36" or 40" and I just made a quilt for someone who needed one for a baby shower I charged her $30.00 and I thought that was a lot! My fabric sources come from all over, estate sales, rummages sales, thrift shops, quilting shops, shops going out of business, people getting rid of their fabric, sometimes it's even just given to me!
Old 07-30-2013, 02:21 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by leatheflea View Post
I've done a few baby quilts on commission. No less than $150. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...e-t192511.html Here's one I did for $160, only because she is a good customer, and orders often.
Gorgeous quilt.
peace

EDIT: $100. 00 easy, just to start.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Just Fabric View Post
Wow, what ever happened to the fact that you love to sew?
Just because I love to sew doesn't mean people should be allowed to take advantage of my work and skills. My nephew is a wonderful graphic artist, but that doesn't mean he should give his work away for almost nothing. I have a friend who is an electrician, but I don't expect him to do work on my house simply because he enjoys it. I WILL pay him, whether it be money or some kind of trade. I think "how much to charge" is a fair question. If you can get inexpensive or even free supplies, that's great, but my time and knowledge are worth something too.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:33 PM

People open quilt shops because they love the craft...maybe fabric should be free!!

They ask "how much".....give them a fair price that includes cost of materials and cost for your talent and TIME. If you want leather interior in your new auto....you pay for it!

Sandy
Old 07-30-2013, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by leatheflea View Post
I've done a few baby quilts on commission. No less than $150. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...e-t192511.html Here's one I did for $160, only because she is a good customer, and orders often.
That is the most precious baby quilt I think I have ever seen. The colors are wonderful and your design is just perfect.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:29 AM

When I am asked to make a custom piece (of jewelry) I ask for half the cost up front. Why not do the same with quilts etc?
Old 07-31-2013, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by MartiMorga View Post
I get a kick out of people who think they do such a good job that they need to be paid the top dollar for a hobby. Sorry, but unless you are doing this as a business (which I could not do, don't like making two of the same thing), you should be happy to have the materials covered. . . . . So - some of us are pretty proud of our work, but are we all we think we are?
Not sure I agree with only charging if it's your business. It's not "my business" but I do a lot of quilts for other folks who can't or don't sew. I don't charge by the hour -- but by the heart.

But I keep thinking about folks that do want to go into a business. They have to start somewhere, somehow and would certainly hate to dissolution them. Hey, if fast food workers can ask for $15 an hour why can't a quilter ask for $10? Time is time.