Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: What would you do with this fabric?

Quote Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics View Post
    The heart with the swan in it is about 5" across, and the (vertical) repeat is 24".

It has hearts... but the colors aren't traditional "Valentine's Day" colors.

Does it come across as seasonal to you?

How would you use this?

Not seasonal at all, IMO!
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

pal
    Love it. Coverlet of Triple Irish chain using white as the basic and every one of the colors in the fabric in the chain. Use your Fabric for the backing. This way you have choice of which coverlet to use. Would do same with dust ruffle, one side white and the other side the fabric. Also, fabric valance and bows holding back white curtains. Sounds great to me.
    PACE - Positive Attitude Changes Everything

"All things are literally better, lovlier, and more beloved for the imperfections that reflect the human effort that went into their making."

I vote for a cheater quilt and I don't think it looks like a seasonal fabric....

I would cover a hat box with it.
    Yooper32 aka: Donna B

I would love that as my shower curtain.

Blog Entries
    I'd leave it in the store. It is just not my style of design. Don't care for oriental type, but also don't care for all the busyness of it.

Blog Entries
    I would get the book by Judy Sisneros, 9-Patch Pizzazz, and cut it up and make a beautiful wall hanging. Her theory is to choose the focus of the fabric which will be cut into the larger pieces, and the rest will then cut into smaller pieces and then pieced together. I know it sounds sacrareligious to cut this but trust me, her results are really beautiful, plus its fun to do. The colors you have in this fabric are beautiful.
    Laugh, Love and Quilt

I agree with Dina - I'd just quilt it. To me it is very romantic.

Vat
    I would do a One Block Wonder or Stack 'n' Whack.

Quote Originally Posted by jodimarie View Post
    OBW or a 4 patch posie with dark blue sashing or connectiong blocks!!!!!
    That sounds good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Penna View Post
    I would get the book by Judy Sisneros, 9-Patch Pizzazz, and cut it up and make a beautiful wall hanging. Her theory is to choose the focus of the fabric which will be cut into the larger pieces, and the rest will then cut into smaller pieces and then pieced together. I know it sounds sacrareligious to cut this but trust me, her results are really beautiful, plus its fun to do. The colors you have in this fabric are beautiful.
    Just checked her books out on Amazon and they are amazing.

I would definitely NOT cut this gorgeous fabric. I would do some type of outlining/quilting around the major areas...the butterfly, swan, etc. for a framed wall hanging.
    Maryann Maki
    www.maryannmaki.com

what a beautiful pattern, can you share the fabric name and company who made it?

Pat
    Patsy

Can be found at favoritefabric.com by Hoffman

That is gorgeous fabric!! It definitely does NOT look like Valentines fabric to me. I would use it in a quilt that requires large blocks so I can see a lot of the fabric pattern or a large border. Kaleidoscope or stack-n-whack would be pretty but I would be sure to use the fabric in the borders. Just lovely fabric. I would buy some.
    Diane
    If you want to make God laugh, just tell him your plans......

Don't know what I would do with it but if I saw it in a quilt shop I would buy it and figure it out later. Maybe something for a wedding or aniversary gift.
    Quilter in training.
    Pat

Maybe just quilt it as is? It's so pretty! I bought some pretty rose fabric and some multi-colored thread and intend to do that with it. I bought the panel that has the roses centered, and some of the fabric in the same line to use as borders.
    :-)
    CAS

Blog Entries
    I would make one of those kalidoscope quilt. There are so many possibilities with this rich fabric.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Not seasonal, just very romantic. Would be beautiful for a young girl's bedroom, quilt, pillowcases, wallhanging, whatever.

It looks seasonal to me: June, when spring is ending and summer begins. It 'feels' like a furnishing fabric; as previous posters suggested, I see bolsters, bed ruffles, valences, ottoman covers with ruffles. I could see it and a complementary fabric dressing up a wicker porch set or gracing a swing. I am not inspired to use it for quilting unless as a french-style bed covering--a lavender stripe or small figured print in a coordinating color with the swan/rose fabric a simple wide border.

It's very romantic and belongs with lavender sachets and doilies. My tastes run more to balsam and penny rugs.

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    FavoriteFabrics ... You often put threads like this about fabric ... what would you do with this? how would you use this fabric? etc.

Do you do this to get an idea about what people think about fabric, to decide whether to order it?

I don't think I've ever seen you say your opinions about the fabric. And I know some think it's because you have the fabric and don't know what to do with it yoursself, though I don't think that's the case.

Hope you will share a little ........ Thanks!
    You have guessed right, that sometimes I do post pictures of a fabric because I'm trying to gauge whether it has a wide appeal, or whether I'm the only one who likes it. And that is exactly why I don't put in my opinion at all, because I don't want to color the discussion one way or the other.

Then again, sometimes I post pictures of fabrics that have me so confuse that I have NO IDEA why they are made, and no idea what people would do with them.

In the case of this particular fabric, I ordered it for my shop a couple of months ago ... absolutely a knee-jerk reaction, because I like purple, and roses, and swans are graceful and pretty, the gold metallic makes it even better, and... well, you know how it goes when you just like a fabric.

And then it arrived, and I got to wondering whether it was too Valentines-y, or maybe only would appeal in springtime... and I'm not really ready to think about spring sewing projects right now, as summer is only a month old.

But then, if the Christmas fabrics start showing up in stores in May, then I suppose it follows that Valentine's fabrics would make their debut in July.

Personally, I'm not even in the mood for fall projects yet, much less spring ones. Maybe it's because I haven't gotten to go to the beach yet this summer. I'm just not ready to move on yet.

:-)

My first thought is use it to make an OBW with it. Who is the mfg and what is the name of the fabric? I am interested.

I was interested enough to search for it on your website. It is soo pretty and soo far out of my usual color pallet. Thinking hard about it.
    Last edited by Caroline S; 07-21-2012 at 06:49 AM.
    Sweet Caroline

Make blocks the size you show an go from there. Colors to match an soon its a quilt. joyce j

I think the fabric reminds me of spring and summer. Attic windows with a fussy cut or use as a panel with borders.

I love the colors! Use it as nearly whole as possible.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast