Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What would YOU do?

Iíve been inspired by the below pattern from www.fatquartershop.com . I am going to use it to make a quilt with no wadding type duvet cover for my Mom.

I am a bit unsure about what size to make the blocks. The instructions for the pattern end up being 6Ē blocks, do you think this will be a bit small? It will be a twin bed size cover?

Iím concerned about any pattern on the fabric getting lost in such small pieces. But I donít want to do a very big block and lose the intricacy.

Iíve not bought the fabric yet, Iím thinking of chunky florals Ė probably poppies and sunflowers.

Your opinions would be appreciated Ė what size block would you make it with?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think a nine inch block would be fine. It would show off your fabric and you could make less blocks. Just my thoughts.

Blog Entries
    Love the pattern. Depends on the print. If small keep it that size. If larger try cutting out the pattern out of clear plastic. and put on top of fabric to see how it looks. Make different sizes too.

I was thinking 9" too. :)

Hello,
    I f you wondering what fabric would look cut up you can use this method
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/12489.page

Also you could fussy cut the center of the block and cut it where a flower can be seen.. Use a big floral some polks dots and other coordinating not all floral it will make it too busy.

Have any idea what fabric you are thinking about. Maybe if we see it we can give you more opinions.
    I have made that block in a 12 inch size. It leaves nore room to use larger prints that way.

Well that is my opinion!!! :D :D

bj
    I'd probably go with 9" blocks. You can cut a 3" square hole in an index card and take it with you to the fabric store to audition your fabric. Just hold the card over the fabric and you can tell if you'll lose your design or not. I have one I keep in my purse...you never know when a fabric opportunity will arise! :D

Depending on the size of the prints, but I would make it definitely 9" or larger.

Quote Originally Posted by bj
    I'd probably go with 9" blocks. You can cut a 3" square hole in an index card and take it with you to the fabric store to audition your fabric. Just hold the card over the fabric and you can tell if you'll lose your design or not. I have one I keep in my purse...you never know when a fabric opportunity will arise! :D
    What a good idea!

Thanks for that tip Bebe, and bj. I will def do that.

I was thinking my Mom would like the poppies/sunflowers/floral fabric here:

http://www.cottonpatch.co.uk/acatalo...r_fabrics.html

Instead of red and blue like on the pattern, the blocks will alternate red and yellow based. Using one type of fabric for the whole squares and a different fabric (but same shade) for the half squares.

Iím thinking 9Ē too. I have just drawn out on a piece of paper so I can visialise it. Twelve inch seems too big, not sure why!

I think 9" blocks would be good too. For some reason, quite unknown to me, I find the 9" block size very pleasing :wink: I think Mom will love it! :D

Power Poster
    Like many others have already said, 9" blocks would work,
    so would 7.5", 12" and 15".

Measure the duvet you want to cover - and post the dimensions. I'm reasonably sure there will be several willing to help you with the number of blocks to make.

As zyx quilts said, 9" blocks are very pleasing -

I find them comfortable to work with - big enough to get some area covered fairly quickly - and small enough to not look clunky/chunky.

Thanks bearisgray. I think I will go with a nine inch block, that seems to be the over riding opinion from everyone!

I already figured out the measurements and how many blocks etc. I did a spot of accounting last year in my old job, so it was a nice little mental exercise to figure it out. I've even figured out how much fabric I'll need, I'm quite proud of myself.

Thanks everyone for you advice, it's really helped. Of course I will post pics as I work on it, but don't hold you're breath as I have to finish my current project and save some money to by the fabric for it!

Thanks again everyone who gave advice!

I just looked at that pattern this morning! How funny is that??
    I second the larger block--you'll see more of your focal fabric AND make less blocks. you can always tweak your borders for the size of your twin.

good luck. Can't wait to see it--thinking about this pattern in the funky 1974 fabric (like that's OLD!!)

Very cute pattern.

Seems like you got an idea what your gonna do so I'll just wish ya good luck....

Blog Entries
    Very nice design, Pretty Kitty.
    I'm thinking about the Duvet Cover part of your project. You have to consider how you're going to prevent all those seams from raveling on the inside since you're not going to have batting and quilting to hold it together. I did that once, and the whole thing came apart after a couple of washings. One solution is to iron it to fusible backing. But you don't want it to be too stiff, either. Let's see if anybody else has some suggestions.

Power Poster
    Do you have a serger?

You could just line the whole pieced top with a sheet or muslin.

You could edge all the pieces with fray-check or something similar, but that would be a major drag.

My plan is to still quilt it with a backing but no batting inside. I think I will do smaller sections at a time, rather than all in one big piece.

Blog Entries
    Great - that should take care of the raveling!