Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Would You Do With This? >

What Would You Do With This?

What Would You Do With This?

Old 08-01-2011, 10:04 AM

I was so thrilled to see your antique material! I bought some of this material in 1964 or 1965 when my youngest daughter was a baby. My mother made lined draw drapes and covered a straight cornice board for the nursery. She also made a small baby quilt that was about square using just a panel of the material! A year or so ago I was asked by my daughter to mend her baby quilt. It had been sewn pillowcase style (no binding around edges) and the edges were worn to a frazzle! The back of the quilt was sateen (I think) and was also worn out, so I added a new back (pink flannel), trimmed the edges and put a pink binding on it. Thinking that I was really doing something fancy, I put an overlay of tulle on the front to protect the quilt and then tacked everything in place (it was machine quilted). When I returned it to my daughter she was disappointed in the tulle I had added. She wanted to just feel the softness of the special baby blanket she remembered! With manicure scissors I was able to cut away the tulle where it was tacked! I still have a small piece of this material and have wondered if I should try to work it into a small quilt for my granddaughter. I did fussy cut three (I think) of the designs and put them on white cardboard/poster board and framed it for a picture in my daughter's nursery. Hope you will come up with a perfect idea for this very special piece of material.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:06 AM

It is very cute fabric! It would look nice in borders, with contrasting corners.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:07 AM

I agree, I would hate to cut it up, but fussy cutting sounds like a good idea. It's adorable fabric.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:40 AM

I wouldn't cut it. I like the idea of using it as a center panel with borders in colors picked out from the fabric. They can be prints too, just not large ones.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:33 AM

Hudgoddess is right, don't rush, you will find the right pattern. If you decide to fussy cut, you might lay paper frames around the cuts to see what you come up with before you make the actual cut.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by DonnaFreak
Howdy y'all :-D

I was given this adorable piece of antique fabric. Isn't it just the cutest thing? But obviously, there's nowhere near enough of it to make a quilt with. Maybe a wall hanging or something? Should I fussy cut around each cute little print and mount it onto something or other, or what? Any ideas? I really would like to make SOMETHING with it, but don't have any clue exactly what. Help!

Donna :roll:

I think I'd cut around each scene and then applique each to a bigger square---------set together with pastel sashing maybe.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by oatw13
That is super cute! I would hold onto it until the perfect idea hit me.

Some log cabin type blocks would be cute.
How would you "log cabin"? Use each scene for the chimney block?
Old 08-01-2011, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Tweety2911
I think there would be too much waste if you fussy cut it. Either use it horizontally and build up the top and bottom with lots of different designs such as flying geese on top/bottom, then a layer of HST's and built it until you like the size of the quilt to add borders all around. Or put it away until inspiration strikes you:-)
there appears to be enough room to freehand cut around each scene, then applique!
Old 08-01-2011, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by DonnaFreak
Originally Posted by bearisgray
How big is the piece you have?

Maybe use it as a wide band in one of those wide band/strip quilts?

Use it as the center strip/band and coordinate for the rest of the pieces.
The piece is very small. It's only about 30" wide and maybe 12" to 14" tall. There's not a selvedge to be seen anywhere. So even though there are several of the little pictures in it, there's not much width/length to it at all.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh, that is small. Still I'd freehand cut around each scene and bring it to a white square to be included among others in a pattern.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by luvspaper
I'd go with it as a full horizontal width, no cutting. then I would add other horizontal borders to get the height and then add framing borders.
:thumbup: :thumbup: Certainly would not cut it up!!! You would lose so many of the designs cutting large enough to have a seam allowance. It would definitely be a piece used as a centerpiece of a quilt...just think of all the cool blocks you could make to surround this lovely piece of history! You could even begin a hunt for similar material and put them together in wide strips across your quilt, separated by sashing or rows of pieced blocks.