Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would you do? >

What would you do?

What would you do?

Old 11-23-2011, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by majormom View Post
I have looked all over the 'pictures' section and I can't find the picture of your quilt! What is the title you used?
I added pictures on this thread, I think they are on page 3.
I don't know how to edit the original post to add them there.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by majormom View Post
I have seen the photo of your quilt and it is beautiful! Don't think the white for the border is a good idea at all! Since your sister says to do whatever you think is best, you should go with that! Actually, if it were me, I'd stay away from a light border all together.
What kind of border would you use?
Old 11-24-2011, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by kiesh View Post
I'm making a quilt for my sister. It is her birthday present from our mom and me. (My mom bought all of the fabric, batting, thread, and I'm doing all of the sewing.) When we bought the fabric, we got all of the fabric except for the border and backing fabrics. Last week my mom was going to see my sister and I asked if they could pick out fabric for the border and back. I gave them my recommendations and sent pictures of the quilt in progress. They picked out a white for the border and honestly, I don't like it and don't know how it will turn out. I don't know what to do because I don't want to offend them by not using the fabric and I don't have an alternative fabric. Do I just use the fabric and hope for the best? Or should I find something else? The town I'm in doesn't have a quilt shop besides JoAnn and there isn't anything I like there....
What would you do?
Sorry if I sound gross, but a white border will show all the dirt, lipstick, greasy fingers. Maybe you could suggest that and advise on another color, perhaps a main color in the quilt. Edie
Old 11-24-2011, 06:13 AM

Love the quilt!!! I agree the white does not work - the body of the quilt is darker tones/visually "heavier", and the white is lighter in tone and visually. It doesn't add balance visually and probably why you don't like it.

My suggestion is to pull one of the colors out of the quilt, or you can take it to the quilt store and see what "speaks" to you. If you find another border fabric that you really like and give your mom & sister a choice, they'll probably choose the same fabric as you.

When you quilt - agree w/ the stitching away from the ditch...it's easier to keep the stitching straight. Pick a color that will disappear in the quilt if you want to minimize being able to see it. If you're machine quilting it, choose the color of the backing for the bobbin thread.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:19 AM

Actually, looking at the quilt again, I'd use the solid brown as a border. I do think maybe you need another color between the "sashing" & the border. The quilt top is busy, so a simpler border wouldn't detract from it...It is gorgeous!! Google "quilt borders" and see what inspiration you may find. I find lots of ideas that way.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:48 AM

I agree with the ones who suggested that you send a photo of the top with the white, it's just too stark a contrast, maybe you could suggest a very thin (1/2 to 1 inch) border in the white with something darker, or even pieced border from the fabrics in the quilt, as the outer border- I agree, it's not the right border for your masterpiece.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:29 AM

Just wondering if you could add the white border but a narrow one with another of the sashing and the end is another narrow white. The white would brighten the quilt which might have been the intent on choosing white, but it wouldn't look so out of place if it is no wider than the brown in both places. It would look like a mirror image to what is already on the quilt. Maybe more work than what you want to do.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:32 AM

Kiesh - What a beautiful quilt! After seeing a picture of the quilt top, and reading that you are relatively new to quilting, I started wondering a few things. First, your quilt top doesn't look like it needs a border. It looks great as it is, and I see your dilemma with the white fabric! Second, if I were buying the fabrics for this particular quilt pattern, it would have been unusual for me NOT to have bought the border fabric at the same time since the border is an integral part of the quilt top. I would have been more likely to not buy the backing and BINDING fabric at the same time. That's a more common practice picking out your fabrics. You don't mention what fabric you have for the binding, which makes me think that perhaps you meant you asked your Mom and Sis to pick out the fabric for the backing and the binding, instead of for a border. That being said, if I were to put a border on this quilt top, I would pick a green and blue solid fabric from the original fabrics and make a small border (1" finished) in green, then a larger (3" finished) in blue. Bind in brown. GOOD LUCK!
One more thing -- Stitch in the Ditch quilting isn't a good choice for your first quilting experience. I do a lot of straight line quilting. If I were to quilt this top, I'd do a grid pattern, starting in the middle and stitching 1/4" along the seams of your "filmstrips" side to side. Turn your quilt around and do the same from top to bottom. Then I'd consider marking and quilting down a straight line right down the middle of your larger blocks, using the same top-to-bottom, side-to-side method.
Let us know how it all turns out!
Old 11-24-2011, 10:26 AM

They picked it....it's what sis wants. Go with her wishes. We all tend to make quilts WE like. No wonder people are not always thrilled to get our quilts...
Old 11-24-2011, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Just Me... View Post
I would lay out the pieced top with the white fabric just laying out beside the quilt. Take a pic, then ask them to look at it. They can help decide if it is the wrong fabric. Explain that you just want it to be perfect and that there may be a better choice for a border....
I think this is really a good solution. I can see why your reluctant to use the white. I think we are all looking forward to your end product. Your quilt looks great by the way, really like the colours.