Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would you do? >

What would you do?

What would you do?

Old 12-09-2011, 06:35 AM

Put both your names on the card.......won't you both be sleeping under the quilt? It can be a gift for the two of you to enjoy.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:59 AM

I would tell him that gifts don't have to be bought they can be made and that is what he should give you. A hand made gift. And you will do the same - make him something. You don't have to tell him yours is made already. That way you both have something under the tree.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
give it to him. my hubby stopped years ago and doesn't celebrate any special occasion. shame, but that's him.
That really IS a shame. Life is too short not to celebrate it! Please give him a gift, and if he feels bad, ask him to do something for you as his gift. Even make suggestions if you have to, just to make him feel better. Christmas is about the giving, not the getting. JMHO
Old 12-09-2011, 07:35 AM

Why not ask him for the gift of time? Either spend a quiet evening together at home, or go for a walk, or .... He is probably worried that he won't be able to get you just the right thing.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:50 AM

Put it under the tree with a tag on it "From Santa" he will know where it came from!!! If you have no tree up this year, put it in his favorite chair....and don't say a word!!! Or you could tell him in advance that you made him something with love...and if he is so inclined he can make you something or go purchase something small in return so he doesn't feel bad.....but we all know that that isn't what it is all about...or you can hold it till his birthday, anniversary, Valentine's day....whatever!!!
Old 12-09-2011, 07:53 AM

I would give it to him. Giving is about love, not about receiving. It is a good lesson for us all to learn. Some of the best gifts I have received have been absolutely free. When my daughter was born my brother came to visit for a week and put in a rose garden for me (I already had the roses just not the time to plant them). One Mother's Day my kids painted the bathroom. One birthday my dad built a children's table and chairs so that the kids would have a place to color that was just the right size for them. He made it all out of "scrap" lumber that he already had. Giving for "free" just takes a little creative thinking.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:34 AM

Now if we were talking about my husband my answer would be no, don't give. He hates shopping that much.
You can always tell your husband that your part of the gift you received was being able to make the quilt. We all like fabric and quilty stuff for gifts. The stuff you used for his quilt just came to you a little ahead of Christmas. The giving of a handmade quilt is defintely a gift to yourself. I guess it really all boils down to how will it make him feel if you give it to him and he has no gift for you? As said earlier in this thread maybe wait till New Years and then it can be a "just because I love you gift".
Robin in TX
Old 12-09-2011, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt View Post
I don't believe its in the receiving but in the giving for the holidays, and this is giving of your heart.. You took the time to make him something precious.... I would give it to him, early if you want to avoid it being a 'gift'..
I think this is the best way to handle this situation. Either give it to him right now, saying "Look what I just finished for you!", or wait a while after Christmas and give it to him saying the same thing. We don't celebrate Christmas, but we do things for each other during the year. It takes love to make a quilt for someone, and no matter what the date, it will give him a warm loved feeling when he receives it. That's the important thing. The date you give it is not important.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:43 AM

I agree with you.....100%.....
Originally Posted by Mickey1 View Post
If this was my situation I would respect his wishes. I'd put the quilt out now, wherever you could both enjoy it,
knowing there won't be any awkward moments on Christmas that could ruin the holiday.

Right after New Years I'd ask what his thoughts were for Christmas 2012!!
Old 12-09-2011, 09:48 AM

Like lots of others, I would say give it to him, you didn't make it in anticipation that you were getting something in return other than the love and gratitude of the recipient. If you don't want to make him feel awkward, you could wait this after the holidays or just put it on the bed with a romantic note attached ;-)