Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you do?

keep going. it is beautiful and I am sure you can make it work

I would finish it doing just as you have been. It's just part of the process to develop more skill. More skill doesn't mean what you have done before is bad just on a different level. Celebrate where you are at and work towards improving the craftsmanship.

By the way, I think it's awesome.

Finish it! To pretty to quit, Just keep all your seams the same. nether you or anyone else will see the seam side, and it doesn't change the look of the Quilt, your points look like they match, everything looks like it is lining up correctly.

I'd continue...it is beautiful and no one will know about the seam allowance unless you tell them.

If the quilt is fitting together fine, don't worry about the seams. its more important to have consistent seams. you can adjust your needle for your next quilt
    Brother XL-3500i, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D, Juki MO-2000QVP

For what it's worth, Yael: There is no law that prescribes 1/4" seam allowances on quilts. If everything fits together or can be tweaked to fit together, who cares what the exact measure is? Folks have already said that.

Now looky here. I've completed 5-6 quilts. None of them used a 1/4" seam allowance. Mostly they used 1/2". That's what I felt like using, I cut my pieces for that allowance, and it worked fine. Of the two quilts I'm working on now, one is using mostly 1/2", and one is using 1/4" except for the piece I'll probably cut at 1/2" because I want a little leeway there.

And the one that's mostly using 1/4"? I didn't measure it. I'm not going to measure it. I'm using the 1/4" line on the sewing machine plate and whatever thread I happen to have that's strong enough and not so fat as to cause big lumps. The stuff that needs to fit, fits.

If I were hand quilting (as I intend to do on one of the current projects), I might want to trim any big seams down to 1/4" so there's less in the way. My previous quilts with the humongous seam allowances were machine quilted, by me, with no difficulty whatsoever.

The seam allowance doesn't make the quilt. YOU do, and you're making a beautiful one.

Blog Entries
    a beuatiful piece and finish it the same as you started. Just add a border or so extra if you want it bigger to fit your bed or whereever you plan on using it. Wish I had the guts to make one.

I would definitely continue with the same allowance, it's beautiful!

One thing I would do is square it up before moving on to any other pieces that go onto it.

Sharon Schamber has some videos on shrinking blocks.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6apl...C6C3CBD760D867

Video on squaring up a quilt.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQnHLkA7bTs

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pittsburgpam View Post

One thing I would do is square it up before moving on to any other pieces that go onto it.

Thank you so much for the info. Also thank you everyone for all the encouragement to proceed.

I agree. Finish the quilt with the original seam allowance. It's still a beautiful quilt and you are doing a fantastic job. Now you'll know for the next quilt. Just remember the learning process is suposed to be fun.

Blog Entries
    Definitely would finish and no one would be the wiser about seams, unless you tell them. It is too pretty to not finish. Hang in there and let us see this when done, please.
    sew1

Quote Originally Posted by pittsburgpam View Post

Just watched the video of the quilt being basted. Does anyone really do it this way?? Seems like an awful lot of work! I guess I am not that much of a perfectionist! LOL!!
    Julie
    Good friends are like stars; you don't always see them, but you know they're always there!

I agree that if all your seams are the same it will work out. Your quilt looks great. When you complete this one then change to 1/4" seams. Some use an old credit card to lay down on the bed of the machine to give you something of a guide for your 1/4" seams.

Continue, it is beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Continue as you have been doing keeping 1/4 as you have. Any alterations will affect the whole quilt. I was told just after I started quilting to even keep to the same sewing machine to piece a quilt as there could be thread differences in the seam. 1 thread on each piece makes a big difference over 60 inches. This was my excuse to buy more sewing machines. One for each project. Quilting also keep to one machine as stitch length has a variant as well.
    Your work is beautiful so remember the class info and finish this super quilt. Can't wait to see it.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Jim
    As long as you use the same seam allowance on the entire quilt it will come together fine
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort :lol:

I am sure that no two people sew the same 1/4" seam. If all the seams are consistent then I can see no problem.

BTW it looks lovely.

It looks like you're doing an excellent job. I would continue with the measurements you've been using on this quilt and worry about your 'scant' 1/4 later. As long as things are lining up with your current settings, there's no need to worry. I am a self-taught quilter. Mostly (like many of us here) from watching Simply Quilts with Alex Anderson on HGTV. She had on a guest at one point that stated something to the effect of using 'your PPM'...your 'personal piecing measurement'. This guest, if I remember correctly, was a leading log cabin quilter. Her feeling was that as long as your seam measurement was consistent throughout the project, getting that elusive 'scant 1/4" ' was not nearly as important as all of your seams being consistent. Words I have lived by in my quilting career!

I agree that you need to finish your beautiful work. The difference in the seam allowance has not affected the shape or beauty of it. you can give your next project the quarter inch seams. looking forward to seeing your post when you are done. I too am in awe of your work.jan
    vichyquilter

This quilt should be finished. It's quite pretty and it deserves a home.

what matters most is consistent seam allowances. No quilt police will come after you because your seam is not exactly 1/4". Finish with what you were using, even if it is larger, then change on your next quilts. It is a beautiful quilt and those who have commented before me are right--it deserves to be finished.
    Laurie in NYC

Banned
    It's absolutely beautiful!

Your quilt is looking beautiful. Please finish it with the seams you have been using. Besides I didn't think there were any quilt police. To me that also applies to the seam allowances. It may change the finished size some so just add more or bigger borders to get the size you want then it is more your on creation. That is my story and I'm sticking to it.

It is very pretty AS IS. Nothing wrong with it as far as I can see. "A finished quilt is better than a perfect quilt." You are the ONLY one who will know that it is not perfect!

oh wow . . .this is just amazing, please do finish. don't be discouraged. don't look at the 'trees' . . step back and look at the FOREST! It is beautiful, keep going!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast