Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you do?

Blog Entries
    your quilt looks absolutely wonderful nothing wrong with it or your seams I started quilting years ago with Mary Ellen Hopkins teaching and the book "It Is OK To Sit On Your Quilt" and her method was called PPM personal private measurements and it always worked I made a lot of sampler quilts that way the only way it does not work is if you get involved in a block exchange and then I have found that hard for not everyones blocks comes out the same size finish your quilt and enjoy it is beautiful

Blog Entries
    Oh, finish that beautiful work. It's too far along to quit. Those points are gorgeous. I say that because yesterday I spent 3 hours working to get 4 points to come out right on a 6" block!! So go for the finish...as long as your seems are the same throughout, it should be okay. Add a border if it's smaller than you want.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Continue with the seam you are using. It is not 'wrong' it is just wider than the conventional size ans nobody need know when the project is finished, unless you have the desire to tell them.

Your quilt is very pretty and deserves to be finished and enjoyed. There is a real economic loss to UFO's that just get stuck in the closet. By taking the class after you started the quilt invited self-criticism. I learn new things with every class, video or from friends. But it is important to finish things, learn from them and move forward. To stop and not finish does not necessarily guarantee a perfect outcome on the next project. Moving through the challenges is a great teacher. Keep going!

Blog Entries
    Finish it ... you will most likely learn something new with every quilt you make.

Blog Entries
    I could be wrong here, but isn't the center of this quilt done with paper piecing? If so, a quarter inch seam isn't an issue. It was built into the paper piecing design and only becomes an issue if you are adding blocks now that have to be quarter inch seam so that they match up to the center section's seams. sounds to me like you learned where your 1/4 is right on time!
    We are here to learn how to live in heaven - I'm still learning.

Beautiful quilt...I hope you decide to finish it!

Have you used this 1/4" foot to make other quilts? And have they fit together ok? I agree with others that what is most important is "consistancy" in your seam width. Do not change the seam width on the middle of the quilt but continue to sew with this same foot. On your next quilt change the foot or make adjustments if you want. Seam width may be a problem if you are sharing /making blocks for others.
    "In the crazy quilt of life, I'm glad you are in my block of friends."

I would continue to finish this quilt with the same seam allowance. It is looking fine.

Finish this... It's too pretty to toss out. There's a lot of trial and error in quilting. Every time you make some mistakes in making quilts you can't just throw it aside and start over. Learn from those mistakes. Plus people will look at your quilt and never see the mistakes you see. Yep...if I were you I'd finish this and be proud.
    sandysews

A merry heart doth good like a medicine.

Wisdom is too high for a fool.

Finish it!! That's what borders are for!!
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Why stop now? This is gorgeous as is.

I would continue just what you are doing. If at the end it is not quite the size that you want you can increase the size of your borders. That is a really beautiful quilt and you are doing a beautiful job.

By all means FINISH it. This quilt is just to pretty to end up in a UFO pile. Looks to me like you are doing a wonderful job piecing it. Only you will know the seam is not a scant 1/4 inch. Good job, keep going.

Finish its too beautiful not to.

amh
    That is a beautiful quilt. You must finish it. You are so close. Use the same seam width that you have been using for it and all will be fine. Change to the exact 1/4 inch for the next one. There are no quilt police in your house.

If we did not learn something from each and every quilt we made, and each and every quilter we meet, we would get bored with the activity and go on to something else. Every time you see this beautiful quilt finished, only you will know what you learned -- sometimes the 1/4 inch isn't all that important.
    Aileen
    Saskatoon SK Canada

Blog Entries
    You go girl; this is getting better all the time!
    GramMER to eighteen, plus two great-granddaughters and four adopted greats soon we hope!

All machines are different...you can take two identical machines, identical feet, and sew a 1/4" seam...they won't be exactly the same...it's just a fact we live with. It's why once you start sewing on one machine, you don't switch to another.

You quilt will come out perfectly fine, just smaller than intended...so what? Add an extra border all around!

Quote Originally Posted by yweinst View Post
    I've been working on a quilt for about a month right now and have almost finished piecing it. Around a week ago I ran into problems decided to take a class to help me trouble shoot and planned on finishing after the class.

After taking the class I learned a lot and discovered some of my largest issues including finding out that my 1/4" seam allowance from my 1/4" presser foot isn't a 1/4" and is too wide.

Now I'm stuck in this situation where I want to make a beautiful quilt and I'm almost done but every seam I'm sewing I know is wrong but if I want to continue with this quilt I have to continue with the wrong seam.

I have two choices I can continue and make this quilt knowing all the mistakes or I can stop go buy new fabric and start all over...

What would you do?

Here is an image of my quilt plus the block I did after learning a lot yesterday...

Thanks for your input.

Yael

Attachment 408311
    Attachment 408312
    Marge Campbell
    TL18LS/Qbot automated quilter
    http://www.Lmcampbel.com

Blog Entries
    After all that beautiful work, I would continue. Use your new found knowledge on another project. It is very nice work.
    TxCaRose

Blog Entries
    That is just beautiful. No way would I take it apart. Just finish it and enjoy.

Power Poster
    Please continue with your beautiful quilt by all means. In her books Mary Ellen Hopkins talks about "PPM" your personal private measurement. She goes on to say that as long as you use the same machine, and continue to keep the same seam allowance in all your blocks your quilt will be fine. It's all about being consistent. After you finish this beautiful quilt if you want to go ahead and figure out a "perfect 1/4 inch seam" then do so, otherwise continue as you are doing. From my perspective you're doing a fantastic quilt - you go girl.

It's just horrible...finish up those few blocks so it isn't wonky and send me that hideous piece of fabric so it's out of your house and you'll never have to see it again (rubbing my hands with glee at my under-handedness)
    Lisa L.
    Howdies from Possum Trot (yes it does exist)
    My most recent swap - Boomerang 16

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I think you have done a wonderful job. The 1/4 inch seam allowance is important if you are doing different blocks/sashing so they all fit together. If you have started with another seam allowance, then finish with the same allowance. "Don't change horses in the middle of the stream" It is more important to have a consistent seam allowance than the 1/4 inch. From what I can see on your design wall, it is coming together beautifully!
    You know everyone's quarter inch is a little different. That is a beautiful quilt you are working on and your quarter inch has been consistent other wise it would not fit together and lie flat. Grow and learn from this experience then read the thread on good, better and best. Your good is better than a lot and so you only grow by learning and doing.

Continue.

The thing about an accurate seam allowance is that above all it needs to be consistent.

You've picked an incredibly challenging quilt for your first quilt and you've accomplished quite a lot on it.

Look at the quilt as a teacher. You will make mistakes and learn on every piece you pick up. In this case, you are also getting to learn about making adjustments in order to accommodate the larger than planned seam allowance in order to preserve your points.

Also - you will almost always be your own worst critic. I think your quilt looks great.

Cheers, K

Way too beautiful to abandon and no one but you will know its smaller. Just lovely work.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast