Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would you do? >

What would you do?

What would you do?

Old 07-28-2013, 05:20 AM
Swap Hosts

I can't help but think what an overly cautious, litigious society we have become. Of course cotton is flammable. So is the batting. But think back over the hundreds of years children have slept under quilts made of cotton or whatever was around. Did their parents need warning labels? Of course not. In a society where we need warnings on a cup of hot coffee telling us it is hot I'm not surprised that anyone would be alarmed at the "not intended for sleepwear" warning. Personally, I'd be more concerned about the chemicals in the fabrics that ARE intended for sleepwear.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:52 AM

They put those warnings on to avoid lawsuits. Fabric made for children's sleepwear is treated with some flame retardant chemical. The fabric itself, will not harm the baby, it's just not flame retardant. If a child is playing with matches, the fabric won't catch on fire. If the child is in bed asleep and the house is on fire, and the flames get that close to him, he is mostly likely already dead.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:02 AM

Amen, all of the above. Sad how "intelligence and common sense" has been replaced with labels. But someone has to protect their behinds from those that need more than they're willing to work for, and the courts are agreeing!

Last edited by MartiMorga; 07-28-2013 at 06:04 AM.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
all flannels in the U.S. have that warning on them- unless they are made for childrens pj's...flannels marketed for childrens pajama's have a special chemical added to them to make them flame retardant...and fyi- this added chemical washes away after about 20 washes...if you used it for a quilt it is fine...(and some of us have made our kids/grandkids pj's with that same flannel--- personally I don't buy the flannels with the added chemicals. it is nothing to worry about in your quilt- the child is not going to be wearing it- and it is no different than any other cotton fabric you use for quilts
I agree with this post!
Old 07-28-2013, 07:13 AM

I always make a remark to the clerk in the fabric store regarding that message on flannel fabric in particular. Why do they make it in childish prints if it is not for children? Is it any wonder that we as a society don't trust our government officials? Everything these days is to CYA.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:57 AM

Thanks for the post cybermom. I've also seen this more lately and wondered why quilters fabric would have it.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:05 AM

Well, if the new mom is following current advise, the quilt won't be with the child at night for a long time. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by cybermom2 View Post
I just finished a baby quilt for my ggd. While picking up the scraps, I came across a message on the white strip at the edge of the fabric that I used for the back of the quilt. It says "not intended and not suiltable for use in children's sleepwear". My favorite quilt shop ladies thought it would still be OK to give. They seemed to think the fabric is no different from many cotton/blends on the market. What would you do? Thank you for your comments.
Don't sweat it. The manufacturer is simply covering his butt.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:39 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
I can't help but think what an overly cautious, litigious society we have become. Of course cotton is flammable. So is the batting. But think back over the hundreds of years children have slept under quilts made of cotton or whatever was around. Did their parents need warning labels? Of course not. In a society where we need warnings on a cup of hot coffee telling us it is hot I'm not surprised that anyone would be alarmed at the "not intended for sleepwear" warning. Personally, I'd be more concerned about the chemicals in the fabrics that ARE intended for sleepwear.

Amen sister. Great post and sadly, so true.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:59 PM

The fanciest stuff is heirloom sewn with pintucks, lace and embroidery. You use good cotton or Swiss Batiste.
None of that says anything about flammability. I dislike flannel sleepwear and blankets. All ours is cotton, broadcloth, batiste, or Tshirt fabric. I've used quilting cotton for shirts as I like to color block. I've used some for nightgown bodices.
I haven't seen any warnings for fleece, either. People use that for bathrobes.