Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What would you do?

Blog Entries

What would you do?

I just finished a baby quilt for my ggd. While picking up the scraps, I came across a message on the white strip at the edge of the fabric that I used for the back of the quilt. It says "not intended and not suiltable for use in children's sleepwear". My favorite quilt shop ladies thought it would still be OK to give. They seemed to think the fabric is no different from many cotton/blends on the market. What would you do? Thank you for your comments.

Blog Entries
    is it sleepwear you made? some fabrics catch fire and melt on the wearer. mainly polyester. if it's a quilt, you can say not to use it in the crib during the night. otherwise, buy something else.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

Blog Entries
    all flannels in the U.S. have that warning on them- unless they are made for childrens pj's...flannels marketed for childrens pajama's have a special chemical added to them to make them flame retardant...and fyi- this added chemical washes away after about 20 washes...if you used it for a quilt it is fine...(and some of us have made our kids/grandkids pj's with that same flannel--- personally I don't buy the flannels with the added chemicals. it is nothing to worry about in your quilt- the child is not going to be wearing it- and it is no different than any other cotton fabric you use for quilts
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

You made a quilt not sleepwear. Normal quilting fabric is intended for sleepwear either. As soon as he is walking, he will be dragging it around with his thumb in his mouth being very happy with life from his point of view !!!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

It should be fine.

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    I would be comfortable using it since the child won't be wearing it!

Power Poster
    A lot of juvenile cotton prints have that warning. I would not be concerned with using the fabric for a quilt. They will be using cotton sheets on the baby bed, right?

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    that label is on most fabrics. but think about it. Now a days who smokes around small children and how many children smoke. But if I see fabric like that, I move on. Not taking any chance with anyone.

Don't worry about it! I've never seen the stuff that IS recommended for children's sleepwear in a fabric store. . .

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    And the "not intended for children's sleepwear" means that the fabric that IS is treated with chemicals to prevent quick burning in case of a fire. I'd rather NOT have the children I know and love and sew for have to snuggle with "chemicalized" fabrics if I can help it! I'd rather be careful of my surroundings than rely on chemicals for safety, wouldn't you?

Go for the regular cotton fabric with confidence and wash it before gifting.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Blog Entries
    I can't help but think what an overly cautious, litigious society we have become. Of course cotton is flammable. So is the batting. But think back over the hundreds of years children have slept under quilts made of cotton or whatever was around. Did their parents need warning labels? Of course not. In a society where we need warnings on a cup of hot coffee telling us it is hot I'm not surprised that anyone would be alarmed at the "not intended for sleepwear" warning. Personally, I'd be more concerned about the chemicals in the fabrics that ARE intended for sleepwear.
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

They put those warnings on to avoid lawsuits. Fabric made for children's sleepwear is treated with some flame retardant chemical. The fabric itself, will not harm the baby, it's just not flame retardant. If a child is playing with matches, the fabric won't catch on fire. If the child is in bed asleep and the house is on fire, and the flames get that close to him, he is mostly likely already dead.

Amen, all of the above. Sad how "intelligence and common sense" has been replaced with labels. But someone has to protect their behinds from those that need more than they're willing to work for, and the courts are agreeing!
    Last edited by MartiMorga; 07-28-2013 at 06:04 AM.
    God Bless Quilters and Sewers
    Marti

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    all flannels in the U.S. have that warning on them- unless they are made for childrens pj's...flannels marketed for childrens pajama's have a special chemical added to them to make them flame retardant...and fyi- this added chemical washes away after about 20 washes...if you used it for a quilt it is fine...(and some of us have made our kids/grandkids pj's with that same flannel--- personally I don't buy the flannels with the added chemicals. it is nothing to worry about in your quilt- the child is not going to be wearing it- and it is no different than any other cotton fabric you use for quilts
    I agree with this post!

I always make a remark to the clerk in the fabric store regarding that message on flannel fabric in particular. Why do they make it in childish prints if it is not for children? Is it any wonder that we as a society don't trust our government officials? Everything these days is to CYA.

Thanks for the post cybermom. I've also seen this more lately and wondered why quilters fabric would have it.

Well, if the new mom is following current advise, the quilt won't be with the child at night for a long time. I wouldn't worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by cybermom2 View Post
    I just finished a baby quilt for my ggd. While picking up the scraps, I came across a message on the white strip at the edge of the fabric that I used for the back of the quilt. It says "not intended and not suiltable for use in children's sleepwear". My favorite quilt shop ladies thought it would still be OK to give. They seemed to think the fabric is no different from many cotton/blends on the market. What would you do? Thank you for your comments.
    Don't sweat it. The manufacturer is simply covering his butt.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
    I can't help but think what an overly cautious, litigious society we have become. Of course cotton is flammable. So is the batting. But think back over the hundreds of years children have slept under quilts made of cotton or whatever was around. Did their parents need warning labels? Of course not. In a society where we need warnings on a cup of hot coffee telling us it is hot I'm not surprised that anyone would be alarmed at the "not intended for sleepwear" warning. Personally, I'd be more concerned about the chemicals in the fabrics that ARE intended for sleepwear.

Amen sister. Great post and sadly, so true.

The fanciest stuff is heirloom sewn with pintucks, lace and embroidery. You use good cotton or Swiss Batiste.
    None of that says anything about flammability. I dislike flannel sleepwear and blankets. All ours is cotton, broadcloth, batiste, or Tshirt fabric. I've used quilting cotton for shirts as I like to color block. I've used some for nightgown bodices.
    I haven't seen any warnings for fleece, either. People use that for bathrobes.

Power Poster
    That warning is for sleepwear, not quilts, as sleepwear would be directly next to the child's skin. It should be fine.

You made a quilt not sleep wear. Give the quilt that you lovingly made. Bless the child and the mother with your gift.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    And the "not intended for children's sleepwear" means that the fabric that IS is treated with chemicals to prevent quick burning in case of a fire. I'd rather NOT have the children I know and love and sew for have to snuggle with "chemicalized" fabrics if I can help it! I'd rather be careful of my surroundings than rely on chemicals for safety, wouldn't you?

Go for the regular cotton fabric with confidence and wash it before gifting.

Jan in VA
    I totally agree. Besides, many pediatricians are advising parents to put babies to bed with no covers. They're supposed to use sleep-sacks that can't come up over the child's face. Quilts these days are intended as play mats under babies when they are down on the floor and closely supervised. If it worries you, tell the parents that it's for playtime - not bed. Also, there is some question of how sleepwear is defined. I'm pretty sure there are store bought 100% cotton sheets and quilts that do not fall under this warning. "Sleepwear" means clothing that is worn for sleeping.

Here is some specific information from the Consumer Products Safety Commission: https://www.cpsc.gov/PageFiles/98883...msleepwear.pdf
    “You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.” ~Maya Angelou.
    One's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions. ~Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.