Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would you do? >

What would you do?

What would you do?

Old 01-06-2015, 06:19 AM

Check the sports store to see what they sell for ladies Penguin fans. Maybe they have 'feminized' the goldenrod color of the uniforms?? I like the other ideas to put lace but maybe find a fabric that looks like lace rather than actual lace. You have taken on quite a challenge! keep us posted.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:20 AM

Christmas sales are on! How about blue (light blue), with snowflakes and also the tonal white on white with snowflakes. You could do a solid backing with (as maryb119) appliqued Penguin or Penguins on the back with 'PINK' scarves and hats ice skating. Just a thought. Good luck.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by meyert View Post
I like to put ruffles on little girl quilts.. maybe a light blue ruffle?

I like the BQ2 quilts to use with focus fabrics
I like this idea. Blue can be made to look very feminine.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:50 AM

I can't believe they would pick material like this for a girl! I have used sports materials but only for my grandsons, 6 of them. Why would anyone pick these??? Maybe it is just me but I don't think there is a whole lot you can do "to make them look girly." Could you suggest something more appropriate to them?
Old 01-06-2015, 06:56 AM
shy

Truth be told ..u have mayor work ahead making this girly in anyway...girly doesn't always mean pink..I think I would try to find some light pastels to match..my very first thought was use white with it...
Old 01-06-2015, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by phrogldy34 View Post
I've been asked to make a quilt for an expected Granddaughter. The Grandparents gave me this material with the instructions to 'make it girly'. I thought about using pink and black flannel to make a rag quilt...but that's too easy. Any ideas? What pattern would you use?
Finding the right girly color will be a challenge, but I think what I would do is use the "block" fabric as sashing, and the fabric w/ the blue as the background fabric for the blocks. I would use a WOW fabric w/ snowflakes since it is hockey and penguins (or even better if the wow fabric has little gold in it like a lot of holiday fabrics do) then I think for the pop color I would use a coral orange. I think I would look for a pieced flower or equally girly pattern and use the wow and coral fabrics to make the flower and the other fabric for the background, do a narrow border around each block of the coral or wow then the blocks as sashing.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:05 AM

Grey is a popular baby color right now...you could probably pair the fabrics up with grey and pink. Good luck!
Old 01-06-2015, 07:23 AM

First of all, I would thank her for the material, then get down to basics--how about she and you take a trip to the fabric shop and choose a more feminine, although sporty, fabric. Surely you and others could consider a different and appropriate fabric. Good luck - that fabric, which is very nice, is NOT good for a new born little girl! Good luck!
Old 01-06-2015, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by phrogldy34 View Post
I've been asked to make a quilt for an expected Granddaughter. The Grandparents gave me this material with the instructions to 'make it girly'. I thought about using pink and black flannel to make a rag quilt...but that's too easy. Any ideas? What pattern would you use?
Here is the official website of the Pittsburgh Penguins infant wear: http://shop.nhl.com/Pittsburgh_Pengu...orn_And_Infant

It appears the grandparents are genuine fans so I would nix the color pink and use the white or gold color that is used in the 1st fabric as the background and use the printed fabric to construct whatever block you decide to use. The 2nd fabric that is really busy looking I would use as the backing or make panties with ruffles, burp cloth, or diaper bag.

Also, using "large" white or gold rickrack will make the quilt "girlie looking".

I must admit, I do love the penguin applique suggestion.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:37 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. The Grandmother has decided on a rag quilt.