Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would you do? >

What would you do?

What would you do?

Old 07-31-2018, 02:48 AM

What have you got to lose? You're already entered. Enter your quilt and see what happens. Even if you don't win, you'll learn something that will help you improve your quilting and do better at next year's fair.
Old 07-31-2018, 02:57 AM

ENTER YOUR QUILT! We are our own worst critics most of the time. What you think is not good, someone else will see as a work of art.

I, too, have difficulty accepting that the work(s) I have done are worthy of being taken seriously. I've never entered anything in a county fair or a quilt show, but I've heard people say that they are awesome, or wonderful, or perfect. I can't convince myself of that. My wife says that I should quit being so hard on myself. Maybe you should take her advice, too.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:09 AM

Quiltlady1941-I am entering for the first time next month. I am a little nervous, but please enter yours and let me know how it goes!
Old 07-31-2018, 03:33 AM

What do you have to loose? It can be a very good learning experience. Different judges look at quilts differently. It will also give you a chance to look at other quilts and possibly obtain some important pointers and ideas.
Old 07-31-2018, 04:06 AM

Yes definitely enter. I am entering a large quilt and 3 small works. I do my own FMQ on my domestic and am by no means real good at it. That is only one aspect of the quilt judged and except by the judges and any quilt police out there, others won't even notice so go for it. Good luck!
Old 07-31-2018, 05:51 AM

Enter it. Not only will your entry inspire others to quilt, it will give you immense satisfaction to have brought so much joy to others regardless if you win a ribbon or not. The more quilts there are on display the more visitors the exhibit will get. So go for it and enjoy the experience.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:19 AM

Enter it, you are your worst judge. You will receive constructive information from the judges to help if you need it so you can do better for your nest one. You may be amazrd at how well you have done. You will never know until you try. GO FOR IT!!
Old 07-31-2018, 08:31 AM

On behalf of all newbies out there, Please enter it. sometimes I go to a quilt show and think...I will Never be at that level and it gets a little disappointing. I mean, some of those quilts look like professionals spent years on them they are so ornate and detailed. Sometimes seeing something that is "good" but not quite "perfect" is JUST what we need to see, so others can realize there are all Kinds of skillsets out there that are still really very perfect. To us

Good luck and please let us know how it goes.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-01-2018 at 01:43 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 07-31-2018, 09:57 AM

My personal contest entry story is I made a jacket to enter in the Sulky Challenge back in the day. I works SO hard on it. I had it done a week or so before it had to be sent off and was very disappointed. After all that work, I didn't think it was good enough to enter. I hung it up and just left my sewing room for a few days. I went in one evening after work and flipped on the light. There was my jacket hanging right where the light shone on it. It looked so pretty! I decided then and there to enter it. I sent it off a few days later and out of all the entries from all over the country, I got 3rd place! I was so excited!

Sometimes I think we work so hard on things and have such high expectations that we are disappointed and don't see our work objectively. Enter it and see how it goes. You'll probably be surprised at how nice it looks on display.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:06 AM

Enter it and be proud it is finished. You will love seeing it hanging. Most people will never notice any mistakes anyway.