Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: what would you do with these?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryAnnMc
    Omigosh, these are STUNNING!! I can see some lovely quilting or embroidery along the edges of the flowers to make them pop.

I love the top of your three snowball versions. I can't wait to see it finished.

If any of the sisters still has her blocks and wants to be rid of them, I volunteer to adopt!! :mrgreen:
    I would just love to have the other two sets..I have two sisters as well!

Beautiful blocks. I am glad that you got them as they now have a wonderful home.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ann clare
    Beautiful blocks. I am glad that you got them as they now have a wonderful home.
    oh wow, is that a TRUE cathedral window in your avatar?

I always wanted to make one. I helped my EX MIL work on one for 2 years...I am guessing she won't leave for me when she goes!

I agree with Sizzor Queen I think that a sash would be very effective to showcase each block. I just know the lady would look down and smile at seeing some of her blocks made into a quilt.

KLO
    Blog Entries
    Love the blocks! Because they are so beautiful, I think the simpler you can put them together, the better. That being said, I loved the Magnolia block also and think these would look wonderful in a block like that. Can you put that in your quilt program to see what it would look like?

I would do one of two things:
    Sash them with embroidered braid or my own cross stitched braid and have it framed with a glass front or put it under a glass topped table.

Embroidering on the block would detract from the delicacy of the painting and detract from the design.

P.S. I had not realised the size of the blocks when I first posted, as they looked like small blocks. Your idea of the quilt or something similar to the Magnolia quilt that was suggested.appears more appropriate now.

actually I HAVE a pattern that is similiar to these blocks! It is called "Colored Garden" by Liza Mitchell, Butterfly Stitches, 9082 Jason Dr Denham Springs, La 70726 225-667-7990 [email protected] #102. I got it when I was in Lousianna in Dec and saw the quilt made up it is beautifull! You trace the flowers on prewashed fabric and color them with Crayola or Prang crayons or tsukineko fabric ink using fantistix felt tip applicators. cost of pattern was $12 but I think it will be well worth it made up! I gave you all info in case you want to contact Liza to see if she still has it avaliable. ( or you can take trip to Lousianna and get it for your self. What fun!)

Pattern!
    Name:  Attachment-163790.jpe
Views: 20
Size:  31.3 KB

I like that idea. I've seen something like that in a stair case wall that was fabulous.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose L
    Being a cottage style decorator, I would frame them and hang them all together on a wall in a large, even grouping. They would look gorgeous on a green or yellow wall!

I would also border and sah in green, as that is a color that is common to each block. For added interst, you might use a strip of green, one of white and an other green, thus making 3 strips for each sash. At the intersection of each block sash, you could reverse and do white, green, white, thus creating a sort of 9 block effect. I believe the white helps carry the eye, whereas a solid green sort of stops the eye. I hope this makes sense! What a beautiful find! And isn't it wonderful that you can carry on and finish the handwork this other lady started, that it's not lost!

What gorgeous work. What ever you decide to do with them, (I agree, green sashing and hand quilting), we want a picture when you are finished.

I like the dark print sash, too. It contrasts with the white nicely.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    here I replaced the 9P with the Quatrefoil block. I love the lattice look it gives!

snowballs and quatrefoil blocks
    Name:  Attachment-116180.bmp
Views: 7
Size:  536.2 KB

the original laylout snowballs & 9P blocks
    Name:  Attachment-116374.bmp
Views: 5
Size:  536.2 KB

the blocks so you can see the real flowers not the EQ6 applique ones!
    Name:  Attachment-116580.jpe
Views: 5
Size:  73.6 KB

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Its Me Marsye
    I would send them to your new best friend.......ME! LOL
    these blocks have made me lots of new friends...which is why I have not shown them to anyone around here..hehhe

Need to get pix of the SBS blocks next.

I work estate sales for a company and when there is sewing/quilting stuff, they always call me in! Though these blocks were bought at a different companies sale. I would have paid 3 times what I did pay for them that is for sure....felt like stealing paying only $8.00 for them!

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    here I replaced the 9P with the Quatrefoil block. I love the lattice look it gives!
    WOW these are such beautiful blocks & such a treasure. So glad you found them & rescued them. Can't wait to see what you do. Like the 0P w/the Quatrefoil. That's very nice. Hand quilting for sure & cross-hatching sounds perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Its Me Marsye
    I would send them to your new best friend.......ME! LOL
    these blocks have made me lots of new friends...which is why I have not shown them to anyone around here..hehhe

Need to get pix of the SBS blocks next.

I work estate sales for a company and when there is sewing/quilting stuff, they always call me in! Though these blocks were bought at a different companies sale. I would have paid 3 times what I did pay for them that is for sure....felt like stealing paying only $8.00 for them!
    $8 was a steal! I purchased a SBS top for $1.50 once & felt the same way. Like they say "One man's trash is another man's treasure." Works for me!

I would do a narrow pieced sashing in greens plus all of the flower colors so it's a total celebration of spring. I would not do solid green sashing because the flower colors are so multi dimensional I'm not sure a solid color sashing would really compliment the depth of color in the painted blocks.

Personally, i think the Colored Garden pattern posted by BigSister63 would be perfect for those blocks. Just a simple sashing around the block creates a frame and doesn't detract from the beauty and detail of the images.

Blog Entries
    Oh so very pretty!! It will be lovely when you are done. I would sash with a light color so as not to detract from the block.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IT_Nana
    Personally, i think the Colored Garden pattern posted by BigSister63 would be perfect for those blocks. Just a simple sashing around the block creates a frame and doesn't detract from the beauty and detail of the images.
    the floral blocks I have are only 9" and the sashing alone would not make a queen size quilt for me bed!
    Attached Images Attached Images

What a lucky find that was! They are absolutely beautiful. Don't you wish you had the mother's sisters' blocks, too?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alondra
    What a lucky find that was! They are absolutely beautiful. Don't you wish you had the mother's sisters' blocks, too?
    yes, I do...I have two sisters as well and would love to have all 3 sets!

I made those... back in the 70's !! They are cured once dried they are ready to go.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mona Marie
    I made those... back in the 70's !! They are cured once dried they are ready to go.
    that is the time frame for these..what did you do with yours?

I would probably sash them but not sure what color.

Blog Entries
    I hope they are cured enough, I am chicken to water test one!

I would use a Q tip damped and touch a light area to see if the Q tip changes color before anything else.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast