Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: what would you do with these?

I think embroidering the names woulf be a wonderful touch. I would also sash the blocks in a green. I hand quilt so I would quilt around the flowers and hatch up to the flowers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    do you think I should hand embroider the flower name on the block?
    That would be cool. Mygrandmother did one with state birds and labled them. I was fun to look at :)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by desertrose
    I think embroidering the names woulf be a wonderful touch. I would also sash the blocks in a green. I hand quilt so I would quilt around the flowers and hatch up to the flowers.
    I am thinking of shadow quilting the flowers for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Anna.425
    I would make a magnolia block. If you go to the search button and type in magnolia it will take you to a post on this site that shows a wonderful picture. The address is below.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-9272-1.htm
    Love this idea. Magnolia block is perfect for these beautiful flower blocks. Would really set them off.

I found these at an estate sale and just had to have them.
    I spoke with the daughter of the lady who made these and she said her mom stenciled them then painted over them as well to add the highlights etc! They are cotton muslin. The daughter also said that her mom made a set for each of her 2 sisters and none of them ever made a quilt out of the blocks! How sad is that.

They are really stunning, the lady was a painter and it shows in these blocks. These were made in the early 70's!

I hope they are cured enough, I am chicken to water test one!

I am playing with some ideas in EQ but wondered why you all thought might could be done to really show case the blocks, not distract from them.

I also want hand quilt them simply.
    As is, it is an akward layout...What do you think about adding two squares, to make 30 = six by five blocks,
    and printing her name - and/or story of the quilt (using your printer and fabric to do it) on the extra two blocks. then add the borders.

Thinking it over, those very beautiful blocks could make two smaller wall quilts, that use could avoid the wear and tear of a bed quilt that might cause the paint to chip off.

what great squares!!!...to know they were hand painted, that makes them special.....i would keep whatever you do simple so the blocks are the highlight...maybe a darker color sashing so the blocks pop.........cant wait to see the finished quilt.......gina

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat-w
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna.425
    I would make a magnolia block. If you go to the search button and type in magnolia it will take you to a post on this site that shows a wonderful picture. The address is below.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-9272-1.htm
    Love this idea. Magnolia block is perfect for these beautiful flower blocks. Would really set them off.
    I tried for an hour in EQ and this blocks is great by itself, but it is terrible when set in a quilt using only this block!

I am going to stick with the snowballs for the flowers and maybe the Quatrefoil for the secondary block.

First, I would iron all the blocks with a dry iron set on cotton, using a pressing cloth.
    Second, (pray and grit my teeth), water test a block to be sure the paint is heat set.
    Third, I like the idea of sashing with green, or a green on brown print.

those are beautiful

a regular here
    Maybe a light green ., then a simple stiple or cross hatch. nothing to detract from the flowers as they are soooooooo beautiful.

Kas
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose L
    Being a cottage style decorator, I would frame them and hang them all together on a wall in a large, even grouping. They would look gorgeous on a green or yellow wall!
    This was my thought, too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat Sews
    I think they would look good in an attic windows setting
    Love this idea!!! Also they make fabric that looks like a trellis and it comes in many colors would probably go with a green or maybe even the neutral. I also like the idea of framing them - you could still quilt around flowers!!!

Beautiful!

cjr
    Hi Jacqui,
    I've been following this and have previously commented. For some reason your blocks have been on my mind. The 9 patch idea is pretty, but I personally think it overwhelms the flowers. If you need to enlarge this, how about something simpler?? Maybe a 4 patch or solid blocks between the lovely florals. Maybe a pink or burgandy solid block with green sashing. Double border of same colors. Since there is such a variety of flowers represented, you can go with almost any colors you like. But as stated earlier, Green is a natural.
    Good luck with your decision. Are you more confused now then ever?

YOu are so lucky! What a find! I like the quilt idea with green sashing. Show us your finished or FO!

I like the idea of a simple sashing, maybe a soft green, pink or violet, that doesn't overwhelm the flowers, which should be the stars. Complicated quilting patterns are great for so many things, but I think in this case the flowers should take center stage, not the block designs. I wouldn't want thick bands of color, no matter what shape, to come between the flowers. Pretend each one is a framed picture and they're all arranged together on a wall, maybe.

When I was into painting on fabric several years ago, I would use a vinegar/water mixture in a spray bottle to dampen the blocks and then iron them dry. It worked well.

Blog Entries
    I would sash them in dark green or black and find a pretty flowered fabric for the outer border. They are beautiful! Maybe put them on point? :-D

I would set them on point to showcase them and use a lovely neutral champagne fabric. It will really come alive with the right quilting.

Blog Entries
    I don't think I'd sash them with green. Sometimes that is a hard color to match and there are so many shades of green. Maybe a stripe that contains a green, pink and yellow for in a stripe it will not have to match perfectly and make a small sash. Then maybe a pink flowered border. These colors together I can see.
    Rita

Blog Entries
    You are so lucky --- me thinks I will now be going to Estate Sales. Keep it simple, green sashing, no embroidery - that would take away from the painting. Try to heat set and maybe ahnd quilt echoing the flowers. If too many for a quilt top --- use the rest in hanging pictures or pillow tops .

I too would maybe add a small sashing, or matts, and frame them either in a group or individually. They are beautiful !

I spoke with the daughter of the lady who made these and she said her mom stenciled them then painted over them as well to add the highlights etc! They are cotton muslin. The daughter also said that her mom made a set for each of her 2 sisters and none of them ever made a quilt out of the blocks! How sad is that.

They are really stunning, the lady was a painter and it shows in these blocks. These were made in the early 70's!

I am playing with some ideas in EQ but wondered why you all thought might could be done to really show case the blocks, not distract from them.

They are beautiful.

I'd almost be tempted to frame each square then hang them as a quilt. I'm basing this on the assumption the blocks may not hold up to washing.

So beautiful and springy!

I think I would sash 20 of the blocks for a quilt and then take 2 groups of 4 and make either 2 framed pictures or maybe a picture and a wallhanging....something different....

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 LastLast