Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Would Be Your Ideal Dream Space For Sewing and Quilting >

What Would Be Your Ideal Dream Space For Sewing and Quilting

What Would Be Your Ideal Dream Space For Sewing and Quilting

Old 06-10-2016, 07:15 AM

I have a little space about 10x10 which is my sewing area in the front room. It faces East and I can watch the sunrise. I have feeders for some of the birds, watering/bird bath hanging from my birch tree, juice for the hummers.s I live on the top of a 13 step hill and I see the neighbors walking their dogs or kids or themselves and to the right of my machine, I have a Yamaha keyboard and practice at least one hour every day - Am working on Pachelbel's Canon in D and Bach's Toccata and Fugue in Dm. And close out the day by playing my favorite hymns. I have some of my mother's quilting work on the walls, I have my two parakeets and two finches on the book cases attached to the archway. And best of all, Miss Bess lays down by my feet when I am doing my sewing or pinning. Today, none of that!!!!! I am transplanting bulbs, perennial plants, weeding, putting down Cypress mulch. Am about 1/4 done and hope to get most of it finished by tonight. Right this minute, I am taking a much deserved break. I'll have a few lemon cookies and some Diet Mountain Dew. Have a great day. Oh yah, did any of you see the show where this woman had a tiny house on wheels made for her and it was all designed with her quilting work inside of the 2 hundred and some square feet to make a complete home. It was ingenious, but just a tish too small for me. Our home is all of 744 square feet. Tiny little house, but big enough. Edie

Last edited by Edie; 06-10-2016 at 07:17 AM.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:23 AM

I have a dream space. But I would love help to get the walls insulated and finished. It is 2 stories the upstairs is twice as big as the down stairs. Down stairs is the class room where I have 4H meetings and sew with friends. Right now I do all my sewing there since it is an oven in the summer and a freezer in the winter up stairs. Down stairs I have 3 design walls a long counter for sewing machines to work with cabinets placed high on the wall for project storage and fabric. Under cabinet task lighting for those sewing, 2 ironing stations 1 cutting station. I love my classroom but have just 12 more feet of wall to finish. Yes it is very eclectic, nothing matches I have collected items from all over. But it works and we have a lot of fun sewing and sharing there.
Old 06-10-2016, 08:42 AM

A 16x16 square room, with Billy bookcases with doors along one wall for fabric, magazines, books, projects. A deeper cabinet with solid doors for batting, and UFOs and extras. A large cutting table in the middle of the room with storage underneath and hangers on the side for rulers and cutters. Two large windows facing north (best light) looking out on water, grass, flowers, woods in the distance, and access to a sunny or shaded deck with a couple of chairs and a table, a folding sewing machine table with insert for machine in an L shape so that it supports fabric to my left and to the left of the machine, other machines ranged along a wall, two comfortable rolling task chairs for use at the machines, a stool...just because, an ironing station and iron, a comfortable but smallish recliner, a good lamp beside it, task lamps over machines, good lighting over all, a cabinet with drawers for thread and other odds and ins, a walk in closet to hide the messies and for more storage, a big wastebasket, plug receptacles on every wall, a design wall, and laminated flooring. And everything I've forgotten!

Last edited by Friday1961; 06-10-2016 at 08:46 AM.
Old 06-10-2016, 08:44 AM

Jan's list is better and more thought out than mine. I realized what I left out, reading her's!
Old 06-10-2016, 09:26 AM
Power Poster

Working on mine. Not a whole lot. removing the shelves from both walls. DH has built a large 3'x2'x6' cabinet with doors. My stash isn't as large as most of yours. I can store 6 14"x14" scrapbook boxes and other clear containers on one shelf and a few bolts of fabric. 5 shelves to go. I have one shelf with rows of fabric on comic book boards. Some things are put away and some I want to wait until it's been painted. It will be painted a paie yellow. I have a large double window with blackout blinds. No matter where I decide to put the cabinet the fabric shouldn't be affected by the sun. I have a chest of drawer, I've put some supplies in. DH made a 4'x 28" cutting board and put it on top of 2 cabinets. I have little chests on casters and the cabinet is on casters, making it easily mobile. I wanted to be able to easily turn it into a quick guest space so I can atleast open up an air matress and we have a foldaway platform for that. Hardwood floors for easy cleanup and I will be able to keep Brutus out. He's not much into that room anyway. Not since he saw a large spider that scared the bejeebers out of him. It was plastic but he didn't know it. It just looked so much bigger in his little eyes.
Old 06-10-2016, 12:15 PM

We moved here to this house 8 months ago, so I have a tiled den with two large closets a big window, and room for shelves for my vintage machines, a desk and computer area, with a t.v. A designated sewing island, that doubles as a cutting space and a pressing place. I would love to add some white cabinetry with drawers about vanity high and a nice top over them with some electrical a little higher on the walls. I'm a happy camper as is and the rest will come. Oh yes, laundry is around the corner and a bathroom across the hall.

Last edited by csharp; 06-10-2016 at 12:18 PM.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:12 PM

I am in the process of planning mine. I just bought a long arm and am converting my ex's office into a new sewing/quilting room for me.

My old room had pale yellow walls, almost a buttery cream colour. I will use that colour again. I will get an electrician in to put in more outlets and lighting. I do not like florescent lights (migraine trigger), so I will go with track lighting, so I can swivel the light to where I need it.

I will use vinyl plank flooring. I have not decided what colour yet, I will decide after I have painted the walls. I also want to see if I can put something under it as the floor is concrete. I will have anti fatigue mats at my long arm. I will continue to use my old sewing room (it is almost next door) for storage and ironing. The family room will become the new office.

Although the room is in the basement I have a wide but short window, that looks out into my front yard. I will put up net curtains, so I still get some light. I had made exh curtains that have cigars and cigar boxes all over them. I want something light and airy.

If wishes were fishes, I would take out the wall between the two rooms and have a huge open space, but the wall is load bearing and although possible to remove the engineering cost would be too much. The also are electrical wires running through the wall that would need to be rerouted.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:31 PM

I got to design and "build" (have built) my dream studio...I posted pictures earlier...but here's a link:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/mission...ml#post7465327

I have plenty of light....I think my fabric is protected enough from the light so I don't worry about fading. I am an "organizing freak" so it always looks about like the pictures....except when I'm sewing a furry jacket for my granddaughter. LOL
Hope this gives you some ideas.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:37 PM

Everyone's spaces sound nice. I think mine would be a lot like Jan's, but carefully placed to have excellent views (I'd like a lake or large river to one side, mountains and forest to another, and maybe some kids playing with a herd of cats out the third side. Yes, at least three of my walls will have windows). I don't know where I would have to move to, but I'm sure my dream location is out there somewhere.

Originally Posted by Tothill View Post
I will use vinyl plank flooring. I have not decided what colour yet, I will decide after I have painted the walls. I also want to see if I can put something under it as the floor is concrete. I will have anti fatigue mats at my long arm. I will continue to use my old sewing room (it is almost next door) for storage and ironing. The family room will become the new office.
Tothill, look into Dri-core subfloor, or something equivalent. It gives a bit of cushion and warmth (plywood instead of concrete), and protects flooring in case of a flood. I lived in a basement suite where they had installed it, and it made the floor much nicer to walk on.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:46 PM

i can see you've given this topic a lot of thought, Jan. The only thing I would add to your list is that it be close enough for my grand kids to come over and ask me to play with them!