Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is WRONG with my machine??? >

What is WRONG with my machine???

What is WRONG with my machine???

Old 12-21-2012, 05:57 AM
Power Poster

My solution that works every time is to have a back up machine. When a machine gets me frustrated I walk away and use another one. I take the machine to guild and say it won't sew right and we all figure out what is wrong.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:59 AM

I took the plate off last night and cleaned it all out. I got a TON of fuzzies out of the bobbin casing! (It was pretty gross, considering I've only had the machine about a month and a half!)

I am using the same cotton material that I've been sewing on for days, and the same thread I've been using for weeks. Same thread in the top and bottom; I fill the bobbin from the top spool when it runs out. The bobbin is about 1/3 full, though it was about 3/4 full when it started acting up - it's wasted that much.

The feed dogs are up, I even moved them up and down several times while cleaning to make sure they aren't clogged with lint. The needle seems fine, but I'll change it anyway, just in case.

I guess I'll have to wait and see what it does tonight when I try again. Hopefully the Gremlins are done playing around and will let me finish my project!

Thanks for all your help and suggestions! I was beginning to think I was losing my mind! Glad to hear this is a 'normal' thing. (I think? LOL)
Old 12-21-2012, 06:14 AM

So ironic..the same ugly gremlin also visited me yesterday. Not only on my machine on my frame but also my juki I use for piecing. I took them apart, cleaned, new needle, new thread, new bobbin and it still is doing it. FRUSTRATING. I was trying to fix all the areas that were messed up on frame and I think it is even worse on my JUKI. Maybe this is what the Mayans were trying to predict!
Old 12-21-2012, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by cheryl222 View Post
So ironic..the same ugly gremlin also visited me yesterday. Not only on my machine on my frame but also my juki I use for piecing. I took them apart, cleaned, new needle, new thread, new bobbin and it still is doing it. FRUSTRATING. I was trying to fix all the areas that were messed up on frame and I think it is even worse on my JUKI. Maybe this is what the Mayans were trying to predict!
Exactly! All the sewing machines are going ka-put, so we're all going to be cold and naked.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:52 AM

I wish I understood the mechanics better. Last week, my machine was going along just fine, then suddenly started skipping stitches. A lot. I hadn't changed the needle, thread, or fabric. So I rethreaded both top and bottom, oiled the machine, tried again. Still skipped stitches. I changed the needle to the same size I had been using. Still skipped. Then I changed it to a different size needle, and like magic, it started working again. Bizarre. So my advice is, just try everything that everyone suggested until it works again. Stay calm and know that this is just part of the joy of sewing. You're not doing anything wrong, it just happens.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:10 AM

That's a computerized machine, right? One thing I have learned (from bitter experience, believe me) is that computerized machines sometimes get wonky for no apparent reason. At times I have to turn off my Singer Quantum L-500 and just WALK AWAY for a while (before I toss it out the window). Sometimes I think they have to clear out their little computer memories in order to stop torturing us. Once I go back, I always change the needle (because at times needles can get those microscopic burrs that cause havoc) and generally it's okay.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:11 AM

Yes, it's computerized. I was wondering if that was part of the problem, and considered that it might just need to 'reset'.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:24 AM

Did you put the bobbin case back in the machine in the right order. You cant screw in the needle plate over it, you have to put the needle plate on first or it will keep jamming.. Rethread like others said, maybe the bobbin is in wrong.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:05 AM

Yes, those Grelins, got a new belt months ago, no problems sewing one or two blocks a week. Really have been pushing it the last couple of weeks, been bogging down and smelling. The belt really did not fit, got a new belt yesterday, sewing like a dream.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:33 AM

what machine? I have a Viking and a button was touched and I had a mess of nesting from the bobbin!