What are your favorite quilting and quilt-organizing tools

Old 04-28-2019, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
Right off the top of my head:

Wonder clips
Machinger's gloves for FMQ
Matilda round rotating cutting mat
Comic book cardboards for folding fabrics

I'm not to good in the organizing department so I'm interested in what others do.
With the exception of the clips -- which I don't have -- these are some of my favorites, too. I asked for and was given the rotating mat for Christmas and love it. The others I've used for some time and now find indispensable.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by illinois View Post
Just this past week I used the piece of 1/2 round wooden dowel to press seams open. This can be purchased at any of the stores such as Home Depot in about any length you'd desire. The dowel lets the fabric drape enough that it's a lot easier to open those 1/4" seams to press them.
Cover the dowel with wool (attach with a hot glue gun) and your pieces won't easily slip off the pressing bar like they do with bare wood.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:30 AM
Power Poster

I have spoiled myself when I quilt. I have learned over my quilting life that the quality tools makes all the difference. I do not 'make do' in my quilt making. I will wear ripped underwear but I will not cut with a dull blade.
I really like the Quilter's Select brand of rulers, mats and rotary cutter. I have replaced most of my old ones with Quilter's Select. I love my Go and dies. My newest favorite thing right now is what I bought to go over my sewing cabinet. https://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/luminess.php

For storage I use the clear assorted size containers on the black metal standing shelves. Each shelf will hold up to 350 lbs. I keep my extra machines on one. No worry about sagging. LOL I have a display stand from a shop that holds all my rulers. I can see everyone at a glance. I asked the owner to order me one like she had in her shop.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:50 AM

Love this question! Like Onebyone, I have spoiled myself and it's special after some hardships. One of my favorites is a wall with shelves 16" deep going across it. That's where I keep a shameful (but delightful!) amount of fabric, ribbon and other sewing stuff. Two 4X8 insulation boards covered with batting go in front of it to block sun and prevent fading and are a great design wall. They're easy to move, with packing tape across the bottom so they slide easily. I also like Hobby Lobby's round carousel (about10" in diameter) with open pockets on the outside and a large space in the center for notions I use at my sewing machine. Another one I wouldn't want to be without is an ironing board I made, about 2'X5' according to Sharon Schamber's directions. It sits on two old and sturdy nightstands with lots of drawers, some of which have plastic shoe boxes for things like rotary cutters, etc. All of this makes me happy and is priceless.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:28 AM

1) My 1x6 inch quilt ruler - I use it for everything! 2) White quilt marking pens - again, I use it all the time. 3) Command hooks - Allows me to hang my cutting mats and rulers on the inside of a closet door. 4) Painter's tape - I use it to mark a perfect scant 1/4 inch seam guide on my machine and then add about 6 layers on top so that the fabric butts up perfect and I never have to worry about seams that are too wide.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:13 PM

I like to use the clean trays that ground turkey is sold in. They are good for organising my quilt block pieces.
Old 04-29-2019, 04:23 AM
Power Poster

When I'm working on a quilt with a lot of pieces I use plastic bags like baggies to hold them and mark each bag by number or letter of the piece on the pattern. I save the bags and then use the other side to mark the next time. It has saved me a lot of headaches.

I just ordered some magic tape after watching Mr. Domestic. He uses it for a lot of things.
Old 04-29-2019, 05:49 AM

My favorite is my pegboard - I can hang all my scissors, rulers, rotary cutters, thread cones that I use all the time. Everything is organized and easy to see.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:14 AM

I'm with maminstl: the first thing that popped into my mind was my pegboards. I have one for rulers and cutters, and one for misc tools. Love, Love, Love the way everything is in order, has a home, and is extremely convenient to find and use. My two boards are 2 ft by 4 ft and hold a plethora of items.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:32 AM

before all else:
Set in sewing machine
good office chair
working wall
good lighting