Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What are your favorite quilting and quilt-organizing tools

What are your favorite quilting and quilt-organizing tools

Hi all! What are your favorite quilting and quilt-organizing tools? Most of my favorites are tools that help me quilt better. I love a quilt wall I made with with insulation and batting. I also love my big board and wool pad (both splurges) that make my pressing of seams and quilts better (I’m terrible with an iron and need all the help I am get). Would love to hear yours!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-27-2019 at 04:25 AM. Reason: remove font characters that do not translate on the QB and could be construed as cursing

My design wall is one of my favorite tools. I made it out of two sheets of insulation so it’s 8’ square.

For organizing fabric-plastic drawer units from Target to hold fabric- deep ones hold yardage wrapped on comic boards cut to fit in the drawers so I can see at a glance what’s in each; shallow ones hold scraps sorted by color and cut into sizes I use most.
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

I use the the small plastic boxes with dividers to store needle packages. Easy to sort by brand, type, and size. Another plastic box holds sewing feet. Plastic fridge bins are the perfect size to store fat quarters. Mine are 16 inches long and fit right on the closet shelves.

Double -sided fishing tackle box holds the sewing notions by my machine. It's easy to pack up for sewing class.

I search out containers for their specific size according to storage needs. Buy multiples so they can be stacked. Remember to label contents in order to easily locate the items later.

Organizing can be fun!

My favorite thing is two big closets with wire shelves. One holds most of my yardage folded with a 6" ruler. The other holds a small collection of Christmas fabrics and small rolls of batting. I can easily see what I have.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    Good question. A wealth of information. Thanks everyone.

Just this past week I used the piece of 1/2 round wooden dowel to press seams open. This can be purchased at any of the stores such as Home Depot in about any length you'd desire. The dowel lets the fabric drape enough that it's a lot easier to open those 1/4" seams to press them.

My Wahl Mustache Trimmer is my top favorite. It makes a fantastic and super fast seam ripper. Unfortunately, I use it much too often. My design wall is right up there on my favs list too. It has been so wonderful to have.

Right off the top of my head:

Wonder clips
    Machinger's gloves for FMQ
    Matilda round rotating cutting mat
    Comic book cardboards for folding fabrics

I'm not to good in the organizing department so I'm interested in what others do.

Clear plastic storage containers, with labels inserted in the inside front, so I can see my projects at a glance . Some hold many LOL They also hold my jelly rolls and layer cakes.
    Clear ribbon boxes, without the insert, hold my FQs by color
    Pegboard to hold rulers, glue, transfer paper, label paper, thread and fabric swatches by Kona & Superior, little boxes that hold needles, extra bobbins etc.
    Command hooks and baskets that hold scissors, rotary cutters, sewing machine oil, 505, FMQ rulers
    Comic boards to fold fabric

I use a wooden chopstick (the pointy end) for poking out corners and the square end for "finger pressing".
    I also like the cheap metal hair clips better than the wonder clips for holding down binding, etc.

These are just two of my favorite things.

Quote Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
    Right off the top of my head:

Wonder clips
    Machinger's gloves for FMQ
    Matilda round rotating cutting mat
    Comic book cardboards for folding fabrics

I'm not to good in the organizing department so I'm interested in what others do.
    With the exception of the clips -- which I don't have -- these are some of my favorites, too. I asked for and was given the rotating mat for Christmas and love it. The others I've used for some time and now find indispensable.

Quote Originally Posted by illinois View Post
    Just this past week I used the piece of 1/2 round wooden dowel to press seams open. This can be purchased at any of the stores such as Home Depot in about any length you'd desire. The dowel lets the fabric drape enough that it's a lot easier to open those 1/4" seams to press them.
    Cover the dowel with wool (attach with a hot glue gun) and your pieces won't easily slip off the pressing bar like they do with bare wood.
    People will see your quilts long after you're gone - NOT your housework!

I have spoiled myself when I quilt. I have learned over my quilting life that the quality tools makes all the difference. I do not 'make do' in my quilt making. I will wear ripped underwear but I will not cut with a dull blade.
    I really like the Quilter's Select brand of rulers, mats and rotary cutter. I have replaced most of my old ones with Quilter's Select. I love my Go and dies. My newest favorite thing right now is what I bought to go over my sewing cabinet. https://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/luminess.php

For storage I use the clear assorted size containers on the black metal standing shelves. Each shelf will hold up to 350 lbs. I keep my extra machines on one. No worry about sagging. LOL I have a display stand from a shop that holds all my rulers. I can see everyone at a glance. I asked the owner to order me one like she had in her shop.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Love this question! Like Onebyone, I have spoiled myself and it's special after some hardships. One of my favorites is a wall with shelves 16" deep going across it. That's where I keep a shameful (but delightful!) amount of fabric, ribbon and other sewing stuff. Two 4X8 insulation boards covered with batting go in front of it to block sun and prevent fading and are a great design wall. They're easy to move, with packing tape across the bottom so they slide easily. I also like Hobby Lobby's round carousel (about10" in diameter) with open pockets on the outside and a large space in the center for notions I use at my sewing machine. Another one I wouldn't want to be without is an ironing board I made, about 2'X5' according to Sharon Schamber's directions. It sits on two old and sturdy nightstands with lots of drawers, some of which have plastic shoe boxes for things like rotary cutters, etc. All of this makes me happy and is priceless.

NE California - no where near the Bay Area!
    1) My 1x6 inch quilt ruler - I use it for everything! 2) White quilt marking pens - again, I use it all the time. 3) Command hooks - Allows me to hang my cutting mats and rulers on the inside of a closet door. 4) Painter's tape - I use it to mark a perfect scant 1/4 inch seam guide on my machine and then add about 6 layers on top so that the fabric butts up perfect and I never have to worry about seams that are too wide.

I like to use the clean trays that ground turkey is sold in. They are good for organising my quilt block pieces.

When I'm working on a quilt with a lot of pieces I use plastic bags like baggies to hold them and mark each bag by number or letter of the piece on the pattern. I save the bags and then use the other side to mark the next time. It has saved me a lot of headaches.

I just ordered some magic tape after watching Mr. Domestic. He uses it for a lot of things.

My favorite is my pegboard - I can hang all my scissors, rulers, rotary cutters, thread cones that I use all the time. Everything is organized and easy to see.

I'm with maminstl: the first thing that popped into my mind was my pegboards. I have one for rulers and cutters, and one for misc tools. Love, Love, Love the way everything is in order, has a home, and is extremely convenient to find and use. My two boards are 2 ft by 4 ft and hold a plethora of items.

before all else:
    Set in sewing machine
    good office chair
    working wall
    good lighting

Love my Quilter's Select rulers and cutting board. Appreciate my husband made ironing surgace--3' x 5'--makes ironing whole flimsy and backing much easier. Husband bought me a nice office chair, and built me a nice big desk/sewing table insert that fits between the bay windows and installed fantastic lighting for me. After working for 46 years and not having the time to quilt, I am really enjoying being able to go into my quilting studio and do as I wish.