Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your first quilt memory? >

What is your first quilt memory?

What is your first quilt memory?

Old 05-14-2015, 03:18 AM

My first quilt memory is this: My sister and I often spent time with maternal grandparents. Grandma was a quilter, and all the beds had wonderful quilts. One day, as I was "napping" I discovered that I could pull out the threads of the quilt, and spent much of nap time un-quilting a beautiful tulip applique quilt. Grandma noticed it some weeks later and gave me a stern scolding. She requited the part I'd torn out, and I still own the quilt today. It's nearly 100 years old.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:37 AM

My mom made the most amazing quilts for us when we were kids. Mine was applique nursery rhymes. Each block was traced or enlarged from a coloring book, and appliquéd using double knit fabrics from old clothes. It was heavy, warm and wore like iron. When I outgrew Nursery rhymes, Mom made us all sunbonnet doll quilts, also appliqued with double knits, many of which were from dresses she had made for us.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:39 AM

I had, years ago, decided to make a hope chest for my three grandchildren. Oh, I made dishtowel sets, dresser scarves, sets of pillowcases, little doilies, etc. Then keeping the embroidery in as the hard part, i decided to make a quilt with imps and fairies (the fairies for the girls and the imp for the boy. I got all 15 squares made with my mother's instructions planted firmly into my brain and that was back in l996 and as of today, the quilt has gone through two children and the other Hope Chest boxes are filled waiting for the 14 and 12 year old. I have been making quilts for the past 19 years and love every moment of working on them. Mom was a quilter, Grandma was a quilter and now us three sisters are also quilters. My daughter in law is a quilter. So it is being kept in the family quite strong.

We three are made out of the same cloth and Mom is now in Heaven collecting pieces of fabric for us to make quilts when we get there. I have three generations of quilts on my quilt rack and really means a lot to me. Edie
Old 05-14-2015, 05:31 AM
shy

I think I put this on here once before..mine was my grandma..collected bushel baskets of ribbons from stores for years..in the early 50s she made 2 quilts from them..nothing fancy..very plain..but as a small girl and to this day ..I remember the colors..the shine ..and the feel..
Old 05-14-2015, 05:34 AM

I remember having a hot pink and white drunkards path, it was faded (probably was once red) and had holes in it around the longer edges. It even had a few cotton seeds in it.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:35 AM

I had a sunbonnet sue quilt on my bed.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:49 AM

I visited my greatgrandmother in a convalescent home when I was nine. She could barely see. Someone came in and threaded twenty needles for her every morning. She was quilting a large quilt when I walked in. She was trying to make a bed sized quilt for each of her grandchildren. I now have my father's quilt. It is beautiful.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:39 AM

You all have such wonderful stories!! I could sit and read them over and over.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:39 AM

The quilt I remember from childhood is one made from wool squares from a sample book from daddy's store. It was very heavy and had flannel on the back and was tied. I don't remember seeing my mother work on it but it came from her.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Skylark53 View Post
My baby "blanket" that got taken everywhere was actually a little quilt; I know I still have it somewhere but it has been m.i.a. lately. I also had a crib size quilt, and I remember my uncle wrapping me up in it and swinging it back and forth like a hammock, I loved that! I'm very peculiar about texture and I love the way that quilts don't tend to pill like blankets, and I've always found their cool touch refreshing in the summer. I used that crib quilt as a throw/pillow on my bed until I was in my early 20's and realized it needed to be "retired" for it's own good. In a stroke of luck I found a full 2 yards of the fabric that it was made from online recently; I bought that so fast I bet my head spun.

So I've always loved their feel and comforting nature. But only recently have I actually started attempting to make them.
I love this story!