Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your first quilt memory? >

What is your first quilt memory?

What is your first quilt memory?

Old 05-12-2015, 07:00 PM

I remember napping on my Mimmy's (great-grandmother's) bed when I was very young. I don't know what the quilt pattern was, but there was a tiny square with a tinytiny black dog printed on it. I would search for the dog every time I visited.
Old 05-13-2015, 02:07 AM

Roll back to the summer of 1976 when I graduated from high school. A Lady came to our house selling blue jean quilts out of her car. My mother and I decided to take a look at her quilts. I decided I would love to have a denim quilt to take with me to my first year of college in the mountains. The quilt I chose was the perfect size to fit my college dorm bed. The front of the quilt was squares made from many shades of blue jeans. Some of the squares included the pockets of the jeans used. The back of the quilt was a red denim. I used the quilt all four years of college....got married and used the quilt for picnics, baseball games to sit on and football games to cover up under. Now its 2015 and the quilt is still with me and looking great!
Old 05-13-2015, 03:17 AM

1955, winter, northern Arizona. Don't know who made it, maybe my Grandmother on Mom's side, but it was a heavy, hand tied with red, black and brown squares. Like others have said, once you got under that, you kept warm, but no turning over
Old 05-13-2015, 03:19 AM

No one in my family quilted that I know of so I am the first. My first memory of a quilt is in the late 1970's I was newly married and came upon the new magazine The Quilting Newsletter. I devoured every new issue. Then when I was pregnant with our first child while stationed in Texas, I ordered a baby quilt kit for $12.00. I made it and was hooked!!

Last edited by nygal; 05-13-2015 at 03:23 AM.
Old 05-13-2015, 03:27 AM

When I was a girl my DM had aceazy quilt om her bed made of silks and satin and other fabric. I think it was made by my GM Lizzie. I don't know what happened to it . I'm guessing it got thrown away on one of our many moves.
Old 05-13-2015, 03:47 AM

My first quilt memory was a crazy quilt that my grandfather brought to our house and left it because it had been made by someone in the family. It had lots of different fabrics. Over the years the silk pieces just fell away because of mordant salts used in years long ago. I remember it had big patches of maroon drapery fabric also. I started quilting the late 60's when our first son was expected. Love quilts and fabric!
Old 05-13-2015, 03:47 AM

Quilts made by Great Aunt, who lived with her brother and his second wife (my grandparents). One was a Victorian crazy quilt with silk backing and all the embroidery stitches, second crazy quilt wool with striped backing thick batting. Both used to pieces, alas!!
Old 05-13-2015, 04:47 AM

Over 60 years ago I remember seeing a quilt on this big "quilting rack" at my grandmothers house, the rack was hand made my by grandfather. I remember seeing my grandmother and my mother spending hours hand quilting one of their many quilts. I since inherited that same rack and it sits in my sewing room and is used all the time. I have the last quilt my grandmother started, my mother and she worked on it and I finished it.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:09 AM

I remember going over to a friend's house who lived across the alley. Her parents were from Tennessee and her mother quilted all year long. She made all her daughter's dresses better than any designer without patterns. She then cut up the old dresses and made the most beautiful quilts ever. She sewed everything on a small black singer in a cabinet and hand quilted all her quilts. She also crocheted beautifully. I had never seen a quilt before and we never had one in our house. She started me sewing when I was 11 years old and I went on to learn to knit from an aunt and crochet from someone else, then just eventually got to quilting when I was much much older.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:52 AM

I remember the first quilt when I was about 6 months old (from pictures). It was a red, white and blue quilt in a Trip Around the World. My grandmother had made it and my mother said I drug it around everywhere. When it started showing wear - years later - she mad a cover for it and tied it. Quilts can last a very long time and I did love that quilt! Susan