Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your least favorite part of quilting? >

What is your least favorite part of quilting?

What is your least favorite part of quilting?

Old 11-24-2010, 10:24 PM

Marking before quilting - I usually end up complaining to DH or the tears start flowing - total frustration! This time I marked the quilt; the marks did not look right, so I thought I'd wash it (the quilt) and the marks will not come out.

Any suggestions?
Old 11-24-2010, 10:45 PM

Goodness, there's not one thing I really dislike. I guess it's not answering the question, but I really enjoy every bit of it. I just like handling fabric and seeing something come to life. Whether it's the pile of cut pieces or the stack of sewn blocks or the whole quilt, it doesn't matter so much. I just focus on what is building up at the moment. Okay, I do have to admit that I'm not crazy about ripping out mistakes. I don't like undoing my work, I'd rather move forward. And I'll admit that I've never, ever, completed a quilt without ripping some stitches out. Yeah, that's my least favorite part of sewing in general, not just quilting.
Old 11-25-2010, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by pstoner
Originally Posted by StitchinJoy
Originally Posted by janb
I love it all, but if I had to choose some part I liked least it would be preparing the fabric for cutting.
I hate to bind. I would rather move on to the next project.
BINDING, BINDING BINDING- no matter what, I always struggle to start the binding, and then to do it. But once it's started I finish it until the end before moving on.
The binding is the AMEN! of the quilt.
Old 11-25-2010, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by gramma8
Marking before quilting - I usually end up complaining to DH or the tears start flowing - total frustration! This time I marked the quilt; the marks did not look right, so I thought I'd wash it (the quilt) and the marks will not come out.

Any suggestions?
What did you use to mark it? I've been through something similar. I used washable markers that weren't washable.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:18 AM

Actually now as I just got back from the store I suddenly realized my LEAST favorite part, PAYING for the fabrics! Yup, that really outranks binding! lol

TreeFrog
Old 11-25-2010, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by gramma8

Any suggestions?
You could try white vinegar on a white cotton cloth, to gently blot on the marks. That does work for blue marker that's supposed to come off with water, ( but seems to return when it dries).
Old 11-25-2010, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Connie in Indiana
I am with you I really like doing anything but Least Favorite would have to be cutting the fabric. I have looked at everthing I could fine to buy that would make the cutting faster an easter to do got any ides?
I have seen that there is a small shape cutter you can buy. You put about 10 pieces of material and roll is through rollers and on the otherside there are your cut pieces. Ok, what it is called, i cannot help you there, but saw a demo on youtube a while ago. You can buy different shapes blades for cutting. Try look into that. Hope i have not confused you. The video will explain all. Try looking up Kate Wood videos. It was from her site i saw this! Good luck
Old 11-26-2010, 06:09 PM

My favorite part of quilting is taking my quilt off my longarm...my most favorite part is taking that last stitch on the binding. My least favortie part is the binding as it's hard for me to do close work.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:41 AM

Love it all, just some things are more of a challenge. Why pursue a craft if you don't love doing it?
Old 11-27-2010, 10:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by charismah
I hate borders....ONce i get to borders sometimes I have to let my project sit for a few days to "talk" myself into do them....Measure...cut ..measure...Measure again..UGH!
agreed.