Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your opinion of the quilt fabric from Walmart? >

What is your opinion of the quilt fabric from Walmart?

What is your opinion of the quilt fabric from Walmart?

Old 08-16-2013, 12:09 PM

Well, I found that our Walmart had exactly the same Ohio State Fabric that was online and in JoAnn's. It was $1.00 to $5.00 less expensive and exactly the same fabric depending on the other sites. I know because I had purchased 4 yards on line on one site at $12.99 per yard that JoAnn's didn't have but did have 2 others and I bought them. I didn't have a coupon that week and paid more. I compared them and the Walmart was a different pattern than I could find online (had to pay shipping on that one and shipping on one at Jo Ann's online as well). Evidently the company is spreading the different fabrics out to several places so I have had to buy it here and there. Good fabric and great OSU bed runners are in the process for Christmas for 5 friends. I have found good fabrics at all places, you just have to use good judgement.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:41 PM

I don't think there is a one size fits all answer on this one. I have found some very nice fabric at Walmart and some of the cheesiest. I do think sometimes they get closeouts from some top names. My Walmart is mostly miss than hit these days.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:15 PM

Walmart fabric worked great in my dog lap quilt. The dog fabric, yellow dots and brown dots were all from Walmart. It hasn't been washed 100 times yet but it feels sturdy to me. http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...34918-124.html
Old 08-16-2013, 01:49 PM
Power Poster

I have lots and lots of fabrics from Walmart. Joanns sell some of the same fabrics Walmart sells. It just cost more. I buy only 100% cotton and I go by the feel and thickness of it. The same way I do no matter where I buy it. Buyer beware.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:36 PM

Same here. I shop WM fabric and LQS, and sometimes they have the same fabrics at different prices. Also, I make a lot of charity quilts and can't afford to buy $10 - 12 fabric. If I had to do that, there'd be a lot fewer charity quilts.

My grandsons each have a quilt I made them using mostly WM fabric 6 years ago. Both are used daily and both are holding up fine.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:05 PM

In Canada Walmart doesn't have fabric by the metre any more. When they did, it was poor quality. If you're making a quilt with poor quality, it's harder to match seams due to the stretching. Batting can poke through the low thread count. Crafting cotton is what they had. I hear Joanne's is more crafting cotton but we don't have Joanne's in Canada. Generally all the independent quilt shops have the quality you'd expect to make a quality quilt. Wait for sales if you're on a budget. Ha, as if we could ever wait!
Old 08-17-2013, 02:37 AM
Swap Hosts

Our Walmart fluctuates ridiculously. Sometimes it's well stocked and the fabric is quite nice. Other times, shelves have the most awful junk. Best bet: feel it. If you like it, get it.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by bizzibee View Post
They have some pretty patterns, just wondering what the quality is like. Has anyone used theirs?
I have learned to stay away from Walmart for fabric. Yes, you may save some money but is it truly worth it in the long run. Shrinkage rate is high, if you must use fabric from there I advise to wash first as there is so much sizing added. I personally go to my local quilt fabric store and find fabrics that are reduced. I know that I am then getting a high quality product from reputable manufacturers. JoAnn's is now carrying a line of quilting fabric but there prices are no better than your local quilt shop. I also believe in supporting my independent quilt shops opposed to chain stores. Its just a personal choice.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:48 AM

I look at the weave and suppleness as quality. I've found a few nice bolts at a Walmart near em but I don't shop there frequently. I know I am getting quality fabric at a quilt shop so that is what I prefer.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:14 AM

I have fabric from everywhere, scraps given to me by friends, pieces inherited from my mother, Walmart, garage sales, quilt shops and shows, on line, etc. You learn after a while to judge quality and use it all in one way or another. If I think it is a little thin or gauzy I will use it in a project that will not be washed often, otherwise it's all good to go.