Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your take on 'modern' quilts? >

What is your take on 'modern' quilts?

What is your take on 'modern' quilts?

Old 12-15-2013, 07:04 PM
RST

I think making a modern quilt pattern using traditional fabrics becomes a simply pieced, traditional quilt. It's the use of solids and stark contrasts in very carefully considered color placements that gives most modern quilts their punch.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:31 PM

For myself, I find the modern quilting to be kind of boring, actually. But, as my Mom always said,"if everyone liked the same thing, it would be a very boring world.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:18 PM

I posted earlier a quilt that I made, with 'Wonky' in its name. Yes, it was a cop out. By making it I was freed from matching points
Attached Thumbnails image20.jpg  
Old 12-16-2013, 05:45 AM
Banned

It appears to me that the style has evolved somewhat over the past two or three years and has become more mainstream.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:13 AM

I kinda have my feet in both camps. I'm a history lover and finds beauty in vintage things. I love traditional for that very reason. I like the look of traditional quilts, of how uniform they tend to be. But I love modern quilts because of how colorful they often are and unique and simplistic they tend to be. When making my quilts, I like to use both of this ideas. I often like to take traditional patterns and use modern colors and fabrics to make them.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:04 AM

I'm drawn more towards the fabric and what would make it look best versus an actual quilt style or pattern.

I can look at a pattern and my brain immediately goes through what I have on hand and if it will make the fabric look good. I tend to purchase fabric first then look for a pattern or block style. I recently purchased some Anna Maria Horner, Tula Pink, Amy Butler and Riley Blake fq bundles. I have zero plans for the fabric right now. I am still hunting for the perfect look for all the fabric.

I did purchase the swoon block pattern and my plan for that is to do it in all bright solids with black as the background. My guess would be its a traditional style block with modern fabric style.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:11 AM

These quilts are the "quilts of the day" and they will be seen as the quilts of the early 2000s. I am not particularly interested in doing them but my DIL just finished a beautiful one and I love it. I am a traditionalist and even though I am "into" all of the new ways of making quilts, I still like the old fashion ones.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:38 AM

I do like this design, but did you have problems with the instructions? I made a quilt by the same designers a while back, and I was really disappointed. It was also a kit, and there wasn't enough yardage. But, I wasn't sure if I cut it incorrectly. As far as the modern, I am pretty eclectic - I just love textiles and the beautiful art that women (mostly but not always) make with them.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:08 AM

i wanted to add something about long arm and/or heavy, ornate free motion quilting. i remember the first time i saw a quilt with a complicated over all pattern and i didn't understand how it was made. now i do, but i increasingly find the quilting overwhelming. far too often it takes precedence over the piecing and composition of the quilt and frankly i find the machined precision cold and mechanistic, often in terrible collision with the harmony of the colour and pattern choices. this is not to say the artistry is less, or the skill somehow less than handquilting or anything of the sort. it's just one aspect of the evolution of quilting that i don't find at all alluring.

aileen

Last edited by stillclock; 12-16-2013 at 10:13 AM.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:26 AM

I am a modern quilter and I am very selective about the fabrics I choose. I ofter use traditional quilt patterns with modern prints. I have HST's and Y seams and I want all the seams and points to match. Precise piecing is important to modern quilters too. The last quilt I made was a modern quilt by Tula Pink. The blocks are on point. You can't get more precise than that. There is not a lot of difference between modern quilters and traditional quilters. We all love to quilt, love fabric and love gifting things we have made. The main difference I see is the fabric choices we make and the quilting we do. I see the beauty in both modern and traditional. An Improve quilt I made was one of the hardest I ever made. I don't think I am a lazy quilter.