Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your take on 'modern' quilts? >

What is your take on 'modern' quilts?

What is your take on 'modern' quilts?

Old 12-13-2013, 09:45 PM

sing it sister ;-)
Old 12-13-2013, 09:46 PM

Have you ever tried straight line quilting in evenly spaced rows about 3/4 inch apart all across the quilt? I've seen it on lots of modern quilts and thought I'd give it a try. It's not as easy as it looks. Hopefully the baby I just made the quilt for won't notice my wavering lines.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:59 PM

I just like quilting I have made a couple of 'modern' quilts because I liked the design, one I did in Amish colours all dark and with a black background because it was for my son. I have also made traditional quilts and I've used MSQC patterns. Btw are MSQC modern or trad?
Old 12-13-2013, 10:08 PM

I think there is another category at play here that I think of as contemporary. Seems to be that you can take just about any traditional quilt block and turn it modern by the use of color and pattern. Personally, straight up traditional quilts are not my cup of tea because I don't like the colors. But take that same block and play with new colors - give it some negative space and all of the sudden it's gotten pretty darn modern. Strictly modern quilts, as someone else has noted, are more like art quilts - no pattern, just your own creative ability at work - very often does not fit into a handy block format. Modern is what peaked my interest and keeps me spending money all over the place for fabric and supplies.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:12 PM
Power Poster

I tend to do more modern quilting than any other style. (Looking at my album will tell you that!) If I do a traditional block I put a modern spin on it. Too much traditional just bores me stupid. I don't think 'modern' is copping out on anything. They rely more on creative design, which is harder to succeed at than making good Y seams and HSTs . Choice of fabric and placement will make or break a modern quilt. With traditional quilts you can grab any fabric, even make them scrappy which to me is a cop out on fabric artistry. There is a lot more artistry in modern quilting.

I think our personalities really come out in the kind of quilting we do.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:20 PM

great perspective.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:22 PM

sewbizgirl, oops, you had me until you said "With traditional quilts you can grab any fabric, even make them scrappy which to me is a cop out on fabric artistry. There is a lot more artistry in modern quilting."

and your last sentence concerning personality..What about personalities that love both/or all styles? some great works out there from people who encompass the old and the new.

Last edited by DebraK; 12-13-2013 at 10:34 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:51 PM

i don't "grab any fabric" when i am making my traditional quilts. i spend a goodly amount of time making sure there is harmony in my colours and pattern choices, no matter what kind of quilt i am making.

i like quilts. a lot. well made in any era stands out.

aileen
Old 12-13-2013, 11:06 PM
Power Poster

Quilting of any kind interests me. Modern, traditional, tribal, utility....all have beauty and various levels of difficulty in design and construction. I particularly like Waggas (traditional Australian utility quilts), these are made with a variety of fabric finds, certainly not beautiful quilting cottons and all vary in style and construction. I just think it's important to keep quilting alive and evolving....I have a Wagga in progress, as well as an EPP GFG, and a string quilt.....so a bit of everything.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:12 AM

I like most all quilts. It seems that modern quilts showcase quilting skills rather than piecing skills. I want to make one when I can do all the quilting and showcase my skills. To each his own -- there is plenty of room for quilters of all kinds. That is what makes the world go round.