Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what are your thoughts on... >

what are your thoughts on...

what are your thoughts on...

Old 03-25-2012, 11:58 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

duplicate post

Last edited by Jan in VA; 03-25-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:06 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
....I have great issues with a person who designs, and pieces a quilt, PAYS the quilter to quilt it and then has to give credit to the quilter!!!....If a person pays for the service to me that is a bought item like the thread, batting etc. Especially if the quilt is NOT being judged on the quilting, but on the design/piecing. SO I would say if a person PAID for the binding to be on, then it was like paying for the thread, and NO I would not consider that a "group" quilt!.....
Succinctly put, Jacqui, and my thoughts exactly.
For personal reasons and for many of those stated in this topic, I do not enter judged shows. But even when I enter our local non-judged guild shows, I do not 'credit' those extraneous "helpers" unless it's maybe a long-armer who has done an unusually interesting job, as in other than a pantograph or overall meandering design, and I want to promote her work in the community.

I'm really enjoying this topic and appreciate Holice's astute comments!

Jan in VA
Old 03-26-2012, 03:09 AM

Years ago, before I even started quilting, a co-worker bought an Amish made quilt. Then she entered it in the county fair where it won a blue ribbon. We don't know if she put the Amish person's name on as the quilter or not. All of us that worked with her were apalled because we thought that entries were supposed to be the entrant's own work. Were we wrong? If an entrant can pay for the quilting and binding, why not pay for the whole quilt and enter it? Of course credit should be given to the true maker of the quilt.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by KathyKat View Post
Years ago, before I even started quilting, a co-worker bought an Amish made quilt. Then she entered it in the county fair where it won a blue ribbon. We don't know if she put the Amish person's name on as the quilter or not. All of us that worked with her were apalled because we thought that entries were supposed to be the entrant's own work. Were we wrong? If an entrant can pay for the quilting and binding, why not pay for the whole quilt and enter it? Of course credit should be given to the true maker of the quilt.
It depends on the rules of the show, and sad to say, the honesty of the person entering.

The International Quilt Association has a rule that you can't enter a quilt where the top maker paid for someone to quilt it - if you don't do it all or enter as a group quilt, the quilt has to be a collaboration between two quilters. They did this so someone couldn't buy their way into a ribbon. But they're the only group that does this, to the best of my knowledge.

Janet
Old 03-26-2012, 04:06 AM

WOW, I think this is the only place I want to enter a Quilt.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:12 AM

Those of you who think credit does not need to be given to the longarmer obviously have never spent many hours longarming a customer quilt, doing a semi-custom or custom job (which works out to only a couple dollars per hour), only to have the quilter enter and win a judged show without giving any credit to the longarmer. I know a longarmer this happened to. It is dishonest, pure and simple. It is also a dishonest way to win, unfair to the other entrants who also used a longarmer and correctly entered their quilts in the group category. Of course credit should always be given where credit is due!
Old 03-26-2012, 04:15 AM

I think, as been stated in this post, that the rules of each show must be thoughtfully determined and published. That part can be controlled, but you can't control the integrity of the show entrants. There will always be a few people who will give false information or bend the rules in order to improve their chances of winning. The same is true in anything.
Dayle
Old 03-26-2012, 04:19 AM

God bless the judges !! I wouldn't want to any part of the judging process. Sounds too complicated for me. Maybe that's why I would never consider entering any quilt of mine in a show or is it because I would be laughed out of the country LOL !!!
Old 03-26-2012, 04:23 AM

I'd love to enter a quilt that I made because I am curious as to how a judge would judge it. I am a person who does the entire quilt from the piecing to the hand quilting and completing it w/ the binding. I don't have a problem w/ people using other's patterns - the piecing and choice of fabrics will make the final product look different.

I also don't think I have a problem w/ entering the quilt in multiple shows. Heck, if I had something that good, I'd want to show it off for all to see!!

I will say that I think there is a huge difference in competing w/ pros and those of us who quilt as a hobby.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:23 AM

I have never entered a quilt competition nor would I for this very reason. I have often thought that professional and semi-professional quilters do have an advantage and they should not be permitted to preview their work anywhere before a competition It would be different if they were competing against each other. We recently had television a series presented by a celebrity who entered various craft competitions at country fayres in the UK. The entrants were all anonymous so the judges had no idea of their identity. When she won a particular category (deservedly) she was genuinely surprised. Competitors should be allocated a number so that their identity would not be known to the judges. Obviously some judges will recognise the style of a particular artist, but they could never be certain if it was the same person. Perhaps there should be standardised and regulated entry levels for previous award winning quilts so that up and coming amateurs have a chance.