Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what are your thoughts on... >

what are your thoughts on...

what are your thoughts on...

Old 03-26-2012, 04:39 AM

I have not read all these posts and have not attended many shows, but I think different aspects of a quilt can be judged on different levels.
Design
Complexity/difficulty
Use of color/fabric
Piecing
Quilting
Binding
Overall finished product
Other?

Seems to me hand quilting should not be judged with machine quilting: two very different skills and end result
Some quilts have great color choices but may be pieced badly (or just not perfect)
I think it should be broken down and separated. If one quilt wins several areas, then it is '"best in show." Or something.
Do they allow for visitors to vote on their favorite quilt?
Seems to me all these areas are noteworthy. Beginners might have a category of their own?
(went to a robotics event recently where the rookies got recognition for their first accomplishments)

There is room for lots of people to be rewarded for different levels. Different strokes for different folks...

There are always some folks who win everything: I saw the Mona Lisa in Paris and was not impressed. Couldn't even get close but I understand the value of the painting in history. I prefer the Impressionists. Even so, Monet was not the only one! I don't expect to win anything, ever. For anything I do. I do it because it makes me feel good and because I like to create. Period. It's too bad some folks get ignored. That's just the way it is.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:49 AM

This is called ethics. Some folks operate with ethical behaviors naturally and others do not because they do not understand the implications of their actions. I would hope that the guild organizers would graciously address this with the quilter you referenced and suggest how she could make some changes in her actions making it more fair for everyone to participate in the "competition of quilting."
Old 03-26-2012, 05:14 AM

I am curious about this. Suppose I want a beautiful whole cloth quilt. I buy white fabric and send it to a LA. She does a wonderful job. I enter it into a show, giving her credit, and win.
All for my 2 checks and no effort. Could it happen?

Last edited by TanyaL; 03-26-2012 at 05:22 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:20 AM

I do not go to or enter quilt shows anymore because of these many reasons at one time I was very involved with quilt shows I made quilts for shows even had one go to paducah one time but that was in the days before the computers and each person truly made their own quilts it was fun to work as a scribe but now very few people make their own quilts from beginning to finish and they are designed by computers the show that truly turned me off was won by a quilt completely computer done machine embroidered and machine quilted beside it was a beautiful hand quilted quilt without a mention and I just decided this is not for me anymore I still enjoy making quilts but I do not enter them
just my thoughts thanks for letting me vent
Old 03-26-2012, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
Having seen great quilts made by locals get trumped by professionals who have already won many or much recognitions. It is sad that they feel the need to play their quilt like a trump card. I think well written rules regarding the entry or classification can go far in if not eliminating or reducing this from happening. I find the comparision of the olympics amataur vs pro to be spot on. In my day we all called it bringing in a "ringer". Such "ringers" often defeat the intent of the show, and leave a lasting "bad taste" for those who wanted to have a high ethical standard. But unless there is a statement in the rules of submitting works that encompass what is the exeptable submission , then those "trump" cards can hold there head up and say " I have done nothing wrong".
I have seen many shows that do not allow kit quilts, or at least put them in a seperate category so that in viewing and judging , the value for pattern and fabrics selected are not valued in the judgment.
I love going to Quilt National , all works must be original , never been shown , or published either via book, magazine , or any media.
There have been some shows in my area that ,previously judged and shown quilts are allowed in for viewing after a certain number of years , but can not be in the compitition. That way a wide number of quilts can be shown to the public but keeps the judging portion of the show to only new works.
I don't know beans about judging but do think that your National Quilt Show requirements are right on.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:42 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
I have great issues with a person who designs, and pieces a quilt, PAYS the quilter to quilt it and then has to give credit to the quilter!!!....If a person pays for the service to me that is a bought item like the thread, batting etc. Especially if the quilt is NOT being judged on the quilting, but on the design/piecing. SO I would say if a person PAID for the binding to be on, then it was like paying for the thread, and NO I would not consider that a "group" quilt!
If you go that far, then if the person used a jelly roll that was PRE-cut by someone else, and a store bought binding, would it then also be a Group quilt?

When does it stop?
Thread and batting are materials that go into the quilt, not the workmanship itself. Quilting and binding are part of the workmanship, not materials... Two different things. We all have our favorite part of the quilting process (the designing, cutting, piecing, quilting, binding...) but all of these are part of the process of making the quilt. If more than one person is putting workmanship into the quilt, then it's definitely a group quilt. I know nothing about shows and am commenting from a purely 'common sense' point of view, but it seems that if a person is going to enter a quilt in a show, they should do all of the work themselves. If they share the work, they should share the credit.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:53 AM

in our quilt show,a quilt can not have been shown in a any previous show.,unlessit is used as a" filler",thereforenot eligible to be judged or win ribbons.This year the quilt that I entered,I had professionally quilted,and it had to be entered as a two person quilt,whic is only fair.A lot of times the quilting makes the quilt
Old 03-26-2012, 06:13 AM

We had a SITUATION at our fair a couple years ago that sure got the fur flying. One woman had entered 8 fantastic quilts that year. She a well known very accomplished local quilter, but there were MANY LOVELY QUILTS entered in the fair from all over our area. The display areas are limited but someone had HUNG allll 8 of this woman's quilt entries while the other quilts (also with well deserved blue ribbons) were folded up on tables. People aren't allowed to touch the the quilts on tables so...basically it ended up being almost a private TRUNK SHOW for this woman. There were some scathing letters to the editor over that one. It wasn't her fault, but the supervisor of that project should have thought about HOW that was going to look to everyone. It did not fly well at all.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:17 AM

Also, I have my fair quilts machine quilted by a local lady who does a lovely job. The quilting is ALWAYS noted as having been done by someone else. I think that's only fair.

Personally, I think our fair does a fine job of taking all skill levels of the local quilters into consideration by the way they divide the entry categories. IMO.....a quilt that is completely hand quilted (by the person who made the quilt) should never be judged in the same category as a quilt that was machine quilted by a second party.

Last edited by Highmtn; 03-26-2012 at 06:34 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by caspharm View Post
I know the categories we had in the county fair, which one of our guild members (a former president and LA'er),is the coordinator for the Home Arts, has rules set up. There are categories for professionals, amateurs, whether the piecer had also quilted the quilt or sent it to a professional quilter, as well as computerized vs. hand guided quilted, hand-quilting, and group quilts.
I think that Professional quilters and amateurs should be separate in judging especially if a professional quilter uses a computerized quilting pattern which I think would make the quilt better. Surely much easier than someone doing FMQ on a machine or LA or a home machine.