Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's the best way to use a cone of thread? >

What's the best way to use a cone of thread?

What's the best way to use a cone of thread?

Old 11-04-2018, 06:02 AM

I use a come holder, but took an old, empty wooden spool and screw a small eye (from the hardware store) into it. That way I can put the spool on the machine with the cap and it feeds the thread correctly into the machine.
Old 11-04-2018, 06:10 AM
Power Poster

QIAD has the Superior Thread holder on sale today for 35% off. https://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponli...6ee49fd2-EMAIL
Old 11-04-2018, 06:28 AM

I'm with Gran.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:17 AM

Amazon has several at various prices.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ead+cone+stand
Old 11-04-2018, 07:19 AM

If you don't want to buy a stand you can simply sit the cone in a large coffee cup (or jar) and tape a large paper clip to the top edge of the machine. Run the thread thru the paper clip and then you can thread as usual. I have a small square bit of wood that I have screwed a dowel into and attached a cup hook to the top. I attach this to my table with a clamp. This allows me to remove it and take it with me to classes or retreats to use with any machine.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I also bought a cone stand. Superior has a good price on one. https://www.superiorthreads.com/thread-stand-metal
My husband used his 3D printer to make an adapter for my cone stand that keeps the cone from wobbling around. I love it!
Old 11-04-2018, 09:09 AM

Or plop it it a coffee mug and use a paper clip taped to your machine. It works very well and great for those on a limited budget! You can place the mug anywhere around the machine and may not need the paperclip.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]603451[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails thread-mug.jpg  
Old 11-04-2018, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by illinois View Post
None of the above for me. I have a Janome that the spool can either be sideways or upright and there are those cap things. I have the spool holder upright with one cap thing on it. Then an empty spool from invisible thread and the cone thread fits nicely over that. It's a bit loose but it works fine and is not noisy. Doesn't take up space around my machine either.
I do the same thing, love cone thread, it lasts forever!
Old 11-04-2018, 10:29 AM

I picked up a wooden paper towel holder at GW. Had DH put an eye screw at the top and use that. It has a spindle on one side I sit the thread on and a longer piece the paper towel roll would slide on. The screw went on the piece the towel would normally slide on to. It works perfectly and was a lot cheaper than the thread holders.

Last edited by MaggieLou; 11-04-2018 at 10:32 AM.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:49 AM

Default cone thread and thread stands

Originally Posted by osewme View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I will try the mug technique when I get my thread in.
If you use a container behind your machine instead of a stand, you may have to create your own thread path to make the transition from cone to needle nice and smooth.
There are many creative things you can use for this.
As Madamekelly (& Grann & klSwift) said, a safety pin or two taped to your machine at strategic locations can be perfect. Or you can use re-bent paper clips, or sections cut from a straw.
Before I bought a stand, I had both a paper clip and a straw taped down on my machine. I bought the stand(s) because I have several machines now, and didn't want to put that much effort into each machine.

I ended up getting one each of both kinds posted here, and then I found one like this... & couldn't resist:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Cone...w=1142&bih=621

turns out, the thread holder from Superior is my favorite too.

Last edited by mindless; 11-04-2018 at 11:55 AM.