Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's the issue with Purple? >

What's the issue with Purple?

What's the issue with Purple?

Old 10-08-2010, 06:30 AM

I feel the same way about white. There are lots of creams and off-whites, but not a lot of pure white. I'm trying to find small prints on white backgrounds, and I'm having a heck of a time.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:33 AM

Catrancher, If you can find a shop that carries Kona Bay or Seattle Bay you will probably find great WHITE ON WHITE fabric. They offer this with their tone on tone collection. I used it when dyeing cotton for quilters.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:55 AM

For a long time, my favorite belt and shoes were purple. It is a surprisingly versatile color that works with almost everything. That said, I don't have nearly enough purple in my stash at present - must correct that ;-)
Old 10-08-2010, 07:29 AM

Finding Purples....
I think the real true purples end up looking kinda DARK on the bolt.. its the medium and lighter purples that seem to show up on the shelves. When you put some blue with the purple it maybe shelved with the *purple blues* shelf, and when you put pink with it, it gets shelved with the fuchsia-purples and lavendar purples... i.e. when does it stop being blue and become purple ? or when does it stop being *off pink and become purple* ? Try looking in those overlapping areas, pull the nearest purple bolts off the shelf and take and put someplace else to compare, they get *more purple* sometimes depending on what they are next to.
Some newer fabrics are kept together for a while with a new *moda line* for instance... look at the shelves with newer lines, see if that line included something with a purple background and some coordinates colors that could be *purple* on that shelf.
If you do this, move the purple-blue bolts and purple-pink bolts, and *new lines that include purple* you may double or triple what you think that store has....
Old 10-08-2010, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by stitchinbee
My favorite color is purple, however when shopping for fabric in a brick and mortar store, there will be several feet of every color of fabric under the sun, except for purple. Online shopping provides the same results as well. I am especially fond of blenders and tonals, I don't really care for batiks, and try to stay miles away from broadcloth. Hobby Lobby carries kona cloth, but not in purple. What is it with purple? Hmmm....
If you are ever in NC, Mary Jo's has everything you can imagine. You can check it out on line. I get lost[and a little broke] every time we go there. It is a giant and wonderful place to visit. You can even e-mail her and ask about certain fabrics. She buys from and sells to all over the world! HUMMM I am getting the urge to visit her.[She is always on the floor to help]
Old 10-08-2010, 08:26 AM

I'm currently finished a Purple/lavendar quilt.... and while topping off the resto f the fabric needed for this project my local fabric store ( The Fabric Warehouse, in Willmar, MN) had a WHOLE table of nothing but purples and lavenders!!!! I tried to restrain myself... so I only ended up with 18 different patterns.... sigh.. but there were SOOOO many pretty ones......sigh
Old 10-08-2010, 08:52 AM

I love purple too. I haven't noticed that is hard to find. I buy a lot of batiks and there is a lot of purple in those. I will have to pay attention to that the next time I am in a fabric shop.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:19 AM

Rit dye?
Old 10-08-2010, 09:58 AM

I don't like Rit, it fades before your eyes. I use Procion dyes bought from ProChem. They are so nice, helpful and lots of free info.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:11 AM
Dkm

Growing up my mother use to say "Only crazy people wear purple". For many years I wouldn't even think of buying anything purple. I finally decided I was going to use some in a quilt. Guess what my husband said "Only old people likes purple". To each his own. Have fun girls with all that purple.