Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's the least amount of $ you've spent on making a quilt? Have you ever made one out of completely recycled materials, including batting (exception - thread)? >

What's the least amount of $ you've spent on making a quilt? Have you ever made one out of completely recycled materials, including batting (exception - thread)?

What's the least amount of $ you've spent on making a quilt? Have you ever made one out of completely recycled materials, including batting (exception - thread)?

Old 08-07-2011, 08:18 PM

My first quilt was a freebie. I used old clothing, scraps from DD dresses, old sheets, anything I got my hands on. The 'batting' was an old blanket, and the backing was a sheet. *First lesson learned-never use fabric from a sheet that tore during regular use. Every square from that sheet, disappeared by the fourth washing!
Old 08-08-2011, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by MissQuilter
I also love to make various projects out of recycled jeans. I have LQS fabrics and Walmart and TG&Y... Remember them, ladies??? .
I also remember TG&Y! Used to get fabric there. I'm sure it wasn't particularly high quality but they did have it, and the store was close by!
Old 08-14-2011, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
I actually recycle thread by taking old clothes apart, carefully, from one side of the seam and you can save the long piece of thread on the other side, wind it on a spool to reuse.

HAH - had you going there for a bit didn't I??!!
I can actually remember doing this way back in the olden days, must have been in the 50's, I lived with relatives who had gone thru the depression, nothing was wasted. I still try not to waste but no longer recycle thread, in fact I love buying expensive thread-LOL
I have made scrap quilts from scraps of the Christmas stockings our group made for the troops & much of the stocking fabric was donated. I did use new batting & backing though & the quilts were raffled & brought in approx $500 to be used to send things to the troops.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:12 PM

I never know exactly how much I spend on a quilt. Not sure I want to know.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:52 AM

Probably the only quilt I have no money in is my first and my favorite. It's made completely out of recycled materials including pillow shams, work pants, work shirts, a mattress cover for batting and a sheet for the back. I didn't even have to pay for the thread.