Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: What's the longest it's taken you to complete a quilt?

I started working on one the year I conceived my eldest (1983) and he just turned 28. Still not done!

Senior Member Cheshirecatquilter's Avatar
    Well, I'm 62 now, so.....

I started making hand-embroidered quilt squares on denim in high school ... I graduated in '78. They are still in a box in the garage. And I have an even older UFO started by my mother. She started a hawaiian applique wall hanging when we lived on Oahu in '72-73. She finished the applique and basted the sandwich, then we moved back to California. We made a trip to Hawaii together 5 years ago and were admiring some hawaiian quilts we saw in a museum. I said I'd like to do one someday ... and she said I'll give you the one I started. And do you believe she knew right where it was after 35 years? Too bad I opened my mouth because it is 70's gold and brown. After looking at it for almost a year, I decided to add a batik border that has the gold and brown it it. I've figured out a quilting pattern and started the center. Then, I took a hand quilting class from the ThimbleLady but tore out what I had done so far because my stitches did not penetrate well. I figured out it was because I had put that batik on the back too and it is too tightly woven to quilt easily. I replaced the batik back and am ready to start again. I'd like to put it in my guild quilt show when I get it done as a two person quilt ... LOL
    Last edited by Skyangel; 06-01-2012 at 04:47 PM.

Hi I learned how to quilt in Ohio about 2.5 years ago, and the teacher had us make Log Cabin. I didn't know a thing about quilting. After two week everyone in the class was finished with their quilt, but I was still cutting out. They all machine pieced theirs and machine quilted their also. I used a rotary cutter, cut strips, and pieced it entirely by hand, and of course, quilted it my hand also. It took me more than nine months working out 4-5 hours a day. I never want to make a Log Cabin Quilt again. I am now living in Stockton Ca, and I am taking classes at Joann's with a fabulous teacher, Kristi. I have learned how to square my blocks, machine piece, and still had quilt. Kristi has encourage me to design my own pattern and I will be finished with the square by the end of June, and be ready to hand quilt it. I love batiks and made another quilt using Bali Pops and that will be hand quilted also. I figure about six months to quilt each quilt. I will probably work on both quilts and should finish them both in six months. I enjoy had quilting, but the Bali Pop quilt is almost queen size, and the one I designed myself is slightly smaller, but not by much. I know I need my head examined, but I can't financially afford to pay someone to machine quilt it, so I am going to hand quilt it. I am going to try to use a stencil on the borders and shashing, but I am not sure yet. I will send a picture of the quilt if I can figure how to. Thanks Lois Buncher lbmyway

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4