Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the longest it's taken you to complete a quilt?

Quote Originally Posted by skowron5 View Post
    This morning I finished a wall hanging that I started in 1998.
    Ohhh... pictures please!!!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
    I can tell its going to be the Dear Jane I'm doing now! I'll let you know in a few or 20 years!
    Oh, but think of how fabulous it will be when it is done! I'd love to make a "Dear Jane" but I know I'd lose my mind long before I finished it!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
    The second quilt I made - about 30 years. Started it the day Ronald Reagan was shot and finished it during the 2002 Olympics. It was machine pieced and hand quilted.
    I can't believe I just read that! I was ironing some fabric for the beginner quilting class I was taking when I saw on TV that Reagan had been shot! Small world! I was also ironing quilting fabric & watching CNN when the Challenger disaster happened.
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Made one for one of my daughters that took 20 years...they got it for their twentieth anniversary and really loved it! (Not that I procrastinated or anything like that; life just got in the way!).
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

I have approximately 50 quilt tops and they all need to be quilted. I have learned free motion quilting by making doll quilts, table toppers and baby quilts but am afraid to tackle a large one on my home sewing machine. I purchased a Pfaff mid arm two years ago. It is set up in one of my sewing rooms and has a 12 foot frame but am afraid to try it. My husband says use it or move it. I hope to take a class soon so I can say I made my quilts from start to finish.

It took me 6 years to make this completely by hand (even the cutting):

Name:  DWR.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  4.3 KBName:  DWR2.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  4.2 KB

Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    18 years. And it still isn't done.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it difficult to plan the day.

Kris

I started collecting solids in the 80's for an Amish looking Ocean Waves quilt. I'm pretty sure I started it in 1990. Then life got a little crazy with teenagers and a divorce. I finally finished it about 5 years ago. Or so I thought. Then a couple of years ago I found basting in part of the border! A couple of hours later, it was finally complete. But not a new quilt by any means at that point!

I spent a year doing my first ever quilt.
    May you always have Love to Share , Health to Spare, and Friends that Care!

ha! I thought I was slow, taking four months to finish a lap quilt ... I hated that none of the seams matched! THEN I discovered a little thing called "scant" quarter-inch seams ... ...
    Liz / Calgary

13 years.

two degrees, 2 machine quilted bed size projects and a baby in the middle.

but it makes me really happy

Name:  5703899165_9fc84e6aba_b.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  940.8 KB

Name:  5704455168_b06aac8fc7_b.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  777.8 KB

aileen

A lonestar precut kit that I bought as my first ever quilt project (big mistake) The fabric was stretchy and I could never get the points to meet in the center. So away it went to storage. Just recently pulled it out again and asked for help, got it from an Amish lady I know and it is now a quilt top! I bought it I would say around 1992. I have fabric selected for the backing but not together yet. Hopefully it will be done by early Fall.

Somewhere in the 1970's I made a lone star in orange, gold, yellow, rust prints and plains (husband picked the colors) with unbleached muslin. I found a job, went to work and in the 1980's could afford a a local lady to hand quilt it. It still lies in it's cotton covering waiting for someone to do the binding. The colors clash with everything in the house.

14 yrs & counting! It's all sandwiched ready to quilt, but it's an oversize queen & I can't quilt it on my present machine. I have to wait until I get a new machine with a bigger throat area. Now, DH wants me to design a new quilt for him in a King size!!
    Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply,Speak Kindly, Leave the rest to GOD

My first and nearly only quilt took me 7 years to complete. It is a queen sized lone star that I made from a book I purchased at a fabric shop. It is machine pieced and hand quilted and bound. I had no idea what I was starting in 1992, but finished it in 1999 after learning how to hand quilt by trial and (many) errors. It is on the queen bed in our guest room and I love it. I took the plunge again last October and am quilting again.
    Wendy in FL

If I had a dollar for every time I got distracted I wish I had some ice cream.

Blog Entries
    I'm thinking it might be my "Fifty paper pieced stars"quilt. Life has started getting in the way, and since I had all ready started falling behind on the "one-a-week" deal, well..........

Queen size GFG....bought the hex templates in the early 80's (quilting was "calling" me then). Dug them out after an eventful decade or so...started sometime in early 2000's almost finished the "flowers" and ready to do the joining "stars". Is all EPP and I will be handquilting....it's been a long road, with many "rests" along the way...but it will get done. Have been many quilts completed before this one, so I don't feel too badly about my lack of speed

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Holice View Post
    I still have the box and two blocks and fabric from my Bi-Centennial quilt, started in 1974. Does this make it a work in progress, a work forgotten in the process, an abandoned quilt. Or, one that had good intentions to begin with but dropped by the wayside. Perhaps it is time to let it go and use the fabric for something else. But this doesn't answer your question which is about a quilt that is worked on periodically and not abandoned to the back of the closet.
    I have one that have been working on now for about a year and do pick it up occasionally to make a few new blocks.
    OK Holice...YOU win..hehehehhehe

Banned
    Blog Entries
    My Dear Jane was started in 2000! I have only 6 blocks done!

I don't know, there are several that aren't finished yet

DO finished tops pieced but not quilted count then a very long time

My son's baby quilt is still not finished and he is 42 years old. Oops! Guess that doesn't count.

My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA
    Blog Entries
    30 years, wall hanging, a sampler of : card tricks, honey bee nine patch, applique and dresden plate. My perfect stitching no longer matches. The facric stretched while stored in the extra large hoop. Didn't quilt the borders. Sad but hanging in my TV room..colors are back in style. Don't wait too long to finish your project !
    Sometimes you just have to sit in a chair and jog in order to get anywhere.
    Ell

Well, I don't know about a quilt, but it did take me 14 years to complete a cross-stitch. It's about a 16 x 20, and it hangs in my living room now.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

I started out mostly handpiecing and handquilting, but it does take a while and as you, i had to put it down for a while to take a break....took me at leat two years each quilt....but I`m a slow quilter....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast