Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What's the longest it's taken you to complete a quilt?

Get rid of it and free your mind!
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Anne View Post
    I can't beat twenty years :-) but I can come close, think it is about 18 years...and I still haven't finished it and never will! Detested the colors when I started it but wanted to use up my stash leftovers...still detest it! LOL

In 1974 I bought a pattern for an appliqued Hawaiian quilt when we were in Honolulu. Started it the next year, finally finished it in 2008! It was too ambitious for a beginner. 34 years to make a quilt sounds terrible, but it's the unfortunate truth. As long as I am confessing, I started a Trip Around the World quilt in1981 and finished it in 2001. All hand quilted. Since then I've not taken over a year to complete a quilt.

I'm seeing many Lone Star quilts on here! That worries me, because that's one of my to do projects and it's at the top of my list. I LOOOVe that pattern, alas, I know I'm nowhere near capable of doing one yet. I just recently started doing triangles that I was so scared of. Squares, lots of nice, even squares is what I like, LOL!

I love hearing these stories! Especially the 42year old baby quilt! My first grandson is 4 months old and I'm still working on his!

I started a State Flower quilt in 1978. I was doing all hand work on it. In 2005 I finally finished it. I did Hawaii and New York and decided it wasn't something that I wanted to do. I was telling a dear friend about it and she asked me to bring other the blocks I'd done. I did. She got interested in it and said she wanted to do one. I decided that I would do the blocks so that winter we did hand embroidery. My aunt and another friend got interested so we were all working on one together. The friend that wanted to see mine made 4 of them. She had 4 daughters. She got a lady to quilt hers. My aunt got my granny to do hers and another person was going to do my other friend. Katie passed away and Debi never got her finished blocks back. My is all hand embroidered and hand quilted....but machine pieced. I look back and boy have I come a ways since then with my piecing!!! I think that's over 25 years. Anyone beat that? LOL\

My first quilt was a trip around the world. Cardboard templates, every stitch done by hand. I made decent time on the quilt top but discouraged immediately when I started the handquilting. Tossed it in the back of the closet and didn't touch it, or anything else related to quilting for more than 10 years. Hubby and I built a second house and moved into it. My new neighbor encouraged me to jump back into quilting. The rest is truly history!

gin
    does not yet finished count -- started one in 1989 and it is still not finished -- maybe I shouldn't be telling on myself!!!!

That's easy. It's my Double Wedding Ring that I bought the fabric for in September 1989. I think the class was the first week of October. All was going well until it got packed to move the following summer. My biggest issue was accurate cutting, and then back then the stitching. A friend's husband made me acrylic templates which fixed the cutting and then it was a breeze. OK, maybe not a breeze, but at least no longer impossible. I had to go back and fix a few spots to keep it from falling apart before I got it quilted. It's been in the quilting hoop now for 3 or 4 years. I'm not that far from finishing the quilting, I just need to sit down and do it. My goal it to have it done this year -- but admittedly I've been saying that for the past couple of years.

Well ladies I am ashame to say this but my first quilt took me 35 years to finish. My Mom gave me the hand made butterfly blocks in 1953, I made a quilt out of them in 1988. that is after getting married, 6 kids and +++years of working full time did I finale
    sew it. Now I wish I had waited a few more years and had the experence of quilting maybe I would have done a better job on it.
    This quilt has been passed down to a grand daughter .
    Freedom is costly and quilting keeps us busy...

Blog Entries
    Thirty years!!!!!!!
    "Love and kindness are never wasted. They always make a difference. They bless the one who receives them, and they bless you, the giver." Barbara De Angelis

I don't know if this qualifies for I didn't start the quilt my grandmother did before I was born in the early 1920s or before. After my mother died the top laid in a brown paper bag for more than 40 years. I found it, didn't even know what the pattern was (went to the library and found it was feathered star) took it from California back to the Ozarks to ask relatives about it. My mother had never mentioned it to me.

"Oh your grandmother made quilts for all her daughters and that's the one you were named for! Her name was Sarah Elizabeth and she had 11 children and made quilts all the time." All of this was news to me so I got backing, batting and finished the quilt and had it hand quilted where it all began in Ozark, Missouri. So it was finished in 1987 and begun in about 1919. It had value to me and I started quilting myself but it had no value apparently to my mother for whom it was made.

I have written about the quilt, the woman who made it and my mother's life and times. I still write, quilt, volunteer and garden and I am older than any of the other people I have mentioned. I was inspired by the quilt. But I do NOT hand quilt I only piece and love working with colors. I am a great grandmother 86 myself now!

I embroidered (sp?) the nursery ryhme blocks when expecting my first child. She arrived in May 1970 (42 years ago) and the blocks are still one panel. Haven't cut them apart and made it into a quilt yet!

I also started a quilt for my sister four years ago and it still needs binding.

Also hand pieced a bowtie pattern blocks while sitting in the hospital with my father-in-law. He passed away in 1996 and the bowties had to be taken apart because one was a stripe and the stripes were going everywhere. Couldn't arrange blocks into quilt like that! That 16 years ago....and I know where they are stored and waiting on me.

Does this post come under how long it takes me to quilt, or UFOs? Like everyone else....there's has been a lot of living from start to finish of all of our quilts.

Linda

Sew little time and sew many ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
    I can tell its going to be the Dear Jane I'm doing now! I'll let you know in a few or 20 years!
    LOL Same here
    Eat, quilt, bike, sleep and repeat

I have a giant, scrappy log cabin that I cut and started sewing probably 18 or 19 years ago. I did not know to use a quarter inch seam. Mine are a half inch. They are also all pressed open. I know I owned a rotary cutter then but I think I may have used scissors to cut it.

I know you all will laugh but we all used rotary cutters for cutting out garments. I rarely knew where the ruler was because I didn't use it for anything.

Back to that quilt.....I keep meaning to finish it but I don't know if I have the heart. I guarantee you that if I had to hand quilt anything it would never ever get done. That gives me a sick feeling just to think about!

Ha ha! I have you all beat! Mine is 85% hand quilted since 1989. Now carpal tunnel keeps me from working on hand stuff. Sigh!
    Keep smiling, it makes others wonder what you're up to!

Two years, I was hand quilting it and we redid the kitchen, cabinets, floor and all. Now I only machine quilt and about six weeks is the longest it takes. I can do one in two weeks, if I only work on it in the evenings and on weekends.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

8 years! I didn't work on it all that time. I made the top and set it aside. Then I took it out a couple of years later and tried to hand quilt it. I'm not that great at hand quilting and the batting was too thick for me to handle. Put it aside again. Tried hand quilting again. Put it aside. Then finally bought a quilting needle, and did it on my domestic machine. Had to have the machine serviced after that was done. I did a wobbly stitch in the ditch. With the thick batting, it looked very nice.
    One step at a time, always forward.

It's over 20 years for me. I made two "bunny" quilt tops before my grandson was born. Finished his up and kept the other one until last winter when I finally dug it out and hand quilted it. It still needs a label, so isn't finished yet! He will be starting his 2nd year of college this fall and will be 21 in January...I have several more that are getting whiskers and need to get them done. I'm much better at making quilt tops than I am at the quilting.

Blog Entries
    I have 3 quilts that I started in 1986 and not one of those is finished...I'm doing better on projects started more recently. Someday I will get those 3 done.

Well, I've only had it about 25 years, but... My grandmother started on a large Dresden plate in the 60s. My mother took it over in the late 70s. I've had it for about 25 years and it still isn't done. Maybe the fact that the sashing is the color of Pepto-Bismol has something to do with it. For some reason, they decided that it needed to cover something the size of a large Buick! It is all basted and about half quilted, so maybe one day!

Quote Originally Posted by T-Anne View Post
    I just went to your blog to snoop around. :-) I love, love, love that black and white quilt!!!!
    Me too!! The applique over patchwork technique is wonderful, and I love the colors!!
    -Chris-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Blessed are the children of quilters, for they shall inherit the quilts....

It does not do well, Harry, to dwell on the dreams....and forget to live. - Albus Dumbledore

The largest I have done was a twin size for a elderly man I known since I was 12. His daughter and me are still best friends. No one ever made him anything so I did. Since his wife died he sleeps in his recliner so I made it to match the recliner and furniture in that room. I hand quilted it so it took me almost a year. The center was miniture bird houses since he loved to sit and watch the birds outside his window.However I was told he loves it but won't use it. instead he has it on his bed and shows it to all that visit. I keep telling him it is for using and is washable but he is now 94 so I guess he is enjoying in his own way.LOL

I started a bi centennial quilt in 75 but as I progressed, I learned to rotary cut, piece strip, etc and was far enough in to it that I didn't want to go back and correct all the little corners that weren't perfect and yet didn't want to give it up. Plus, it's a pretty large one and once I got my little squares cut out, I just really wanted to finish it, perfect or not. That's when I thought all quilts should be perfect. I have not touched it in several years now and have too many other ones going to backtrack that far. Hopefully. I will find a happy medium and work on it again eventually.
    http://lyndaswhoknew.blogspot.com/

I'm not sure how long it will take me, but I have a few that are at 5 and counting.

Blog Entries
    I started to travel for my job from NJ to San Francisco every week in 1985, before cellphone and laptops. So I decided to hand hand piece and quilt a quilt. Around the world, in green, red, and white, and with no knowledge of quilting. Well, all the blocks are done, all wonky (didn't know to iron them, leave 1/4" at all ends, etc. And it sits in the UFO tub - so 27 years and still not done. Everytime I look at it, memories of friends and fellow workers make me smile. It is worth every stitch to me.
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

Quote Originally Posted by justme CA View Post
    I don't know if this qualifies for I didn't start the quilt my grandmother did before I was born in the early 1920s or before. After my mother died the top laid in a brown paper bag for more than 40 years. I found it, didn't even know what the pattern was (went to the library and found it was feathered star) took it from California back to the Ozarks to ask relatives about it. My mother had never mentioned it to me.

"Oh your grandmother made quilts for all her daughters and that's the one you were named for! Her name was Sarah Elizabeth and she had 11 children and made quilts all the time." All of this was news to me so I got backing, batting and finished the quilt and had it hand quilted where it all began in Ozark, Missouri. So it was finished in 1987 and begun in about 1919. It had value to me and I started quilting myself but it had no value apparently to my mother for whom it was made.

I have written about the quilt, the woman who made it and my mother's life and times. I still write, quilt, volunteer and garden and I am older than any of the other people I have mentioned. I was inspired by the quilt. But I do NOT hand quilt I only piece and love working with colors. I am a great grandmother 86 myself now!
    This story warmed my heart! It made me think of my granny, I remember her hanging quilts on some kind of frame from the ceiling. Did you write a book? I'd love to read the stories you have!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast