Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's the Most Unusual Item You've Ever Made? >

What's the Most Unusual Item You've Ever Made?

What's the Most Unusual Item You've Ever Made?

Old 11-11-2011, 05:58 AM

I made a fabric coconut tree 8' tall. It had a 2"x 2" upright on a stand wrapped with batting and covered with brown duck fabric. The leaves were wide with a channel in the middle for #9 wire which gave them their "drape." The wire fit into holes drilled at the top of the 2 x 2. The tree decorated a corner of our family room as an accent piece with our Peace Corps Philippines mementos.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:05 AM

I made a palm tree that was 6 ft tall and put stuffed monkeys in it. Oh and some coconuts.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:10 AM

I have a friend who had a lump on her breast removed and she was always so COLD!! I crocheted what I called a 'booby hatch'.......a round, breast shaped cup and put a crocheted cord on it so it could be worn around the neck and held in place. It was sort of a joke to begin with but she found it really worked and wore it a lot until not needing it any longer
Old 11-11-2011, 06:40 AM

A quilted 'holster' for my massage therapist's lotion bottle. They wear them around the waist.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Helovesme View Post
I made a custom pool table cover out of upholstery fabric. I made it match my decor in my game room. The upholstery remnants were inexpensive compared to the 9 yards of fringe I put on it.
Just curious how hard it was to recover your pool table. I need to do the same thing.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:52 AM

Caulking bags, and my oldest son requested a purple long fur suit, (pants and a pull over top) and he did wear it! lol
Old 11-11-2011, 08:28 AM

Default funny stuff

I have made some funny stuff.
I made a tuxedo for a 3-month-old baby for my husband's cousin to take her baby to Senior Prom as her DATE I based it on a onesie sleeper and matched her dress with the cumberbund and tie. It was adorable and he was the HIT of the Prom but the principle was NOT amused.I have a picture somewhere, but how to download it? I need a genius.
Then I made my son an Indian headdress and breastplate for a contest. He won first place and then ate most his costume, since it was mostly dyed bread. Again, a genuis to download.
When my husband retired from the Navy and went to work for the Feds, I made him some ridiculous ties. There were several different camouflage ties, the Groucho Marx nose/mustache tie, the flannel baby animals tie, the Mexican flag tie, "just say NO" tie, Frogs, French love letters tie, pieced/quilted ties, a tie with his baby picture printed on the fabric. He was a hit!
My favorite, I made a cake hat for a hat constest, and won first place. It was based on a small basket with a cardboard brim, and was mostly plaster-of-Paris over the base with cake frosting over it and candles burning on my head. My daughter-in-law was behind me with a fire extinquisher. I DO have a picture of that online and will try to download it later.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:28 AM

"A Cross-eyed Bear" I have a dear friend, who as a child, remembered singing a church hymn which included the words, "cross I bear". She couldn't understand why they sang a song in church about a cross-eyed bear. Later in life, as she developed struggles & trials in life, especially those relating to health, she called them her "cross-eyed bears". She had a sweet sense of humor! One year for her birthday, I bought a teddy bear, dressed it in ruffly hat & skirt, & repainted it's eyes. It was indeed, her crossed eyed bear, & she loved it. Helped her to keep the right perspective & still helps me.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:33 AM

I made a bag for my alto recorder, it has 3 sections and the top of each section is closed with velcro.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:19 PM

To all who responded a big thank you for the fun. This was a delightful sharing of amusing memories. Thanks for the fun afternoon. I had to rest this was a wonderful chat to get to enjoy while resting.