Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: what's the most you would pay for a yard of fabric?

Blog Entries
    dh says he has some old underware he'll sell cheap !!!

Insane!!!!
    Linda

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    Hancocks of Paducah has home dec fabric as well as a huge collection of quilting cottons. The first home dec roll I fondled was $80 per yard. I dont go to "that side" any longer.

LOL! Wandering thru the home dec department will sure give you an appreciation for quilting cotton prices! Denver Fabrics has a huge home dec and fashion fabric department and some of the prices are astonishing.

Blog Entries
    Well, I personally love Ralph Lauren designs, however I buy my RL fabrics at thrift stores! A little washing and cutting and I'm ready to go. Also it is very hard for me to buy something that is not on sale! I keep looking at some beautiful hand dyes that are so expensive I don't even remember the price - $20 or $30 but I just can't justify that for the quits that I make. I really like my fabric outlet fabrics that go for $2.50 to $3.50 per yard. They may be a year old (or older) but they make me happy and I can buy a LOT.

Quote Originally Posted by SWEETPEACHES View Post
    http://www.interiormall.com/cat/nsam...=196343&t=4394

oh my! I was looking for "romantic or French words" fabric and this is what I found. If you don't want to go to the link, it's $204.00 a yard. You read that right.

I'm out. I'd spend $15 per yard for something I couldn't live without! Not much more.-----------for cotton that is.

Now, if I were making a purse or pillow or such, I'd go higher for a small amount of fabric
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Not a chance would I pay that much for fabric. My limit is $12 and it must be something special for a special quilt. I have wa-a-a-a-a-ay to much in my stash that will do without expending large $$$ for fabrics. I absolutely understand why a quilt artist would spend more for an art quilt. That is whole different genre. I make quilts for daily use and to just be an outlet for my creativity.

Quote Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
    Not a chance would I pay that much for fabric. My limit is $12 and it must be something special for a special quilt. I have wa-a-a-a-a-ay to much in my stash that will do without expending large $$$ for fabrics. I absolutely understand why a quilt artist would spend more for an art quilt. That is whole different genre. I make quilts for daily use and to just be an outlet for my creativity.
    You know that the fabric in the link is upholstery fabric, right? Why would you use upholstery fabric in a quilt?

Blog Entries
    not in my price range. I visited a high-end fabric shop here in MI (Haberman Fabrics in Royal Oak) and their cottons were going for around $40 / yard....that was about 5 years ago. Didn't look or feel any different than the LQS.

What's the most I'd pay? The highest I've paid was $14 / yard only because it was out of print and I really needed it for a specific themed quilt. On a daily basis, I think $11 is my limit.
    Life's More Fun with a Doxie !!
    ​Have a Great Day !
    Vicki G
    https://www.facebook.com/vickigdesigns
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VickiGDesigns

For upholstery fabric I have paid almost $100/yd for small amounts of something I really wanted. For quilting fabric I have a hard time wrapping my mind around anything over $10/yd. Sometimes if I want it badly I will just buy and look at the price after. I think I have paid $12/yd a couple of times recently but I barred myself from that store.

I paid 50.00 a yard for Ultra Suade, 3 yds and made a suit. For 3 days I didn't even look at I so shocked myself. The suit was beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by carolaug View Post
    they can ask for it...but what idiot would pay that
    Maybe the US Olympic Committee who purchased our teams uniforms from Ralph and who had them made in China...that's who

I sold a two yard cut of fabric on eBay a few years ago to a gal in Japan. There were two Japanese gals bidding on it and the final bid was $405.00 + shipping!
    Proud Navy Mom!
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/ChatterBugQuilts?ref=pr_shop

It's embroidered and Ralph Lauren. The embroidery, width, and the fact it's upholstery fabric (abrasion resistant, etc) plus Ralph Lauren design are all part of the price.

That is definitely expensive. Couldn't afford that now, but I remember paying $59 a yard for this beautiful tapestry fabric for my boat cushions back in 1992. I absolutely loved that fabric and enjoyed seeing it every day.
    When a dying man asked his pastor "How long does it take to die?" his pastor's heartfelt reply was "A lifetime." Live life to the fullest, but stop now and then to enjoy the sunset.
    Lynda

Quote Originally Posted by SWEETPEACHES View Post
    http://www.interiormall.com/cat/nsam...=196343&t=4394

oh my! I was looking for "romantic or French words" fabric and this is what I found. If you don't want to go to the link, it's $204.00 a yard. You read that right.
    i wonder what a "double rub" is in reference to durability.

Quote Originally Posted by kalady View Post
    I once had a bridal client that had commissioned me to make a rehearsal dress out of $78 a yard beaded fabric. I looked at the layout for a week before cutting it.

In 1989 I paid a pretty good price for some fabric for my DD's wedding dress-------up around $30 a yard if I recall-----------but all in all, not a bad price for a wedding dress. I think it ended up costing around $150 when I was done.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Blog Entries
    Is this really real ? Maybe I will start saving now ! {no, not really}

Well with what he has done with the Olympic costumes..he can keep it all!

Blog Entries
    thinking about this i started thinking about costs...i do have a skirt that is probably 1 1/2 yards of fabric- it cost $389 (and no --- i didn't buy it- my mother did- but i wear it.
    i also have a jacket that may have 2 1/2-3 yards of fabric the jacket cost over $500...so i guess that i have spent alot for a yard of fabric
    as for yardage- i think the most i have spent on any yardage was around $60 a yard- it was a fabulous wool!
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3