Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's the nicest thing that anyone has said... >

What's the nicest thing that anyone has said...

What's the nicest thing that anyone has said...

Old 07-10-2010, 09:56 AM

When I handed my first 9 block to my mother,, she smiled and with a lump in her throat, said" Danyl, thank you,,,, it is perfect"... even though I could see the mistakes,, she said they were not mistakes,, they were lessons learned for future quilts,, and she also hung it up and showed it off to everyone,, ( she was an avon seller at that time) and her customers loved it,,, it was the fact,, that even with the "lessons learned" my mother did not care,, it was because I made it all from my hands,, and that she loved it,, and to get my mother to cry,,wow,, thats an achievement!!! LOL!!!
Old 07-10-2010, 10:01 AM

The story of the daughter taking her quilt to college reminded me of something I had completely forgotten.
When my granddaughter was about 3 she decided there was a christmas quilt she liked nothing special it was a cheater. Any ways she took it home with her and carried it everywhere. It started to fall apart and she picked out fabric to make a new front it went right over what was there. About 3 years ago it was at the point where it was ready for the trash. I told her I would make her a new one. NOPE! this one had to have a new front and back with the old stuff inside. It is now on her college bunk. LOL Horrible looking thing but she loves it. She is 16 now just that age when everything has to be just so. So yeah that makes me feel good now that I think about it. lol
Old 07-10-2010, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by charmpacksplus
"Did you MAKE this?" Like there was no way possible I could have made something so lovely. (:
Yeah I get that a lot :lol: :lol:
Me, too. :D Translation: "You're a man, how could YOU make anything like this?" :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think the best reaction I've gotten was when I gave my best friend a quilt that I had made for him. He just immediately hugged me in a full hug, and he's not normally a real huggy person.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:04 AM

My Mother loved Light houses. For her Birthday I machine embroidered 12 different light houses on light purple fabric with a deep purple fabric that had silver threads in it as a spacing fabric. I looked up the history of each light house and made her a book to go along with the quilt. She called me when it arrived so she could open it while I was on the phone with her. When I sent it to her I tape the box with so much tape it took her 10 minutes to open it. She teased me so much about all the tape calling me her "rotten daughter" When she finally got the box open and saw her light house quilt,(after her sharp intake of a breath) Mother said. "I love You, This is the most beautiful quilt I have ever seen. I Love it so much."
Mother kept the quilt on a chair in her living room so whoever came in her front door would see her quilt.
I lost Mother August 24, 2009. I now have her quilt and the memory of knowing that her "rotten daughter" wasn't so "rotten"
So the nicest thing that was ever said to me was "I love you"
Old 07-10-2010, 11:52 AM

My family has quilted for generations and I finally started in my 40's. It was probably my third or fourth quilt and when I showed my mom she said that my great grandmother would have been proud of the job I'd done.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:39 PM

Years ago I made a tied panel baby blanket for a neighbor who had just had a little boy. When he was 17 I was at her house and saw her pull it out of the laundry. I asked, "Is that the blanket I made for Bryan?" She said, "yes, it's still in the laundry every week. He has never slept without it although now he wraps his pillow in it."

I made a fleece blanket for my daughter right before she was born. She (11) still sleeps with it every night.

When I made my Frames quilt and started using it as my avy the response was overwhelming! There were 4-6 boardmembers pm'ing me EVERY DAY asking for the directions. So finally I posted them on a thread so that everyone had access to it. I'm still getting 3-5 a week. Since all of you are fantastic quilters yourselves I feel quite honored that so many of you have liked my quilt.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:53 PM

Oh My goodness... you have brought me to tears.... what lovely stories you all have.

Personally, mine was another "did you make this" said in complete surprise! Still.... I look to the day that I make a quilt that somebody will treasure!

Hugs
Old 07-10-2010, 03:16 PM

Mine are my daughter's call when she received her quilt for her 28th birthday. Telling me how she got out her other two quilts (8th and 16th birthday)to show her big city friends and asking how much I would charge them for one. She must have said she loved it five times. I wasn't home and even though her bd was last Aug. the message is still on my machine.
The other is my brother. I gave all siblings a quilt for Christmas. They all seemed to really like them. But, brother Den had tears running down his face as he told his wife he had to find a special place for it.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:24 PM

My husband is a man that doesn't like much of anything. He's just one of those very unhappy people that carries years of baggage on his soul. I made him a quilt a year ago out of fabric with vintage airplanes on it. The one thing that he really does like if flying RC planes. Although he didn't say much at the time he sleeps under it every night and uses the matching pillowcase too. I guess sometimes it isn't the words......

Also, I must admit that seldom to I read every post on a thread. I did the one that Marsye started about us all posting pictures of ourselves so that we could put faces with names but other than that I don't usually. This thread I did. I read each and everyone while the tears flowed. And even though I did a lot of crying, thank you all for the posts and heartwarming stories.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:36 PM

I, too, have a best friend battling cancer. I'm not the fastest quilter but managed to do a charm lap quilt in four days before I was going to see her for a visit. She was thrilled and later told me she takes it with her whenever she goes in for chemo because the room is so cold. I couldn't ask for a bigger compliment.