Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's the reason for...... >

What's the reason for......

What's the reason for......

Old 07-21-2010, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Berta48
Does anyone use spray adhesive instead of pins or clips? I am new and working on a baby quilt and thought the adhesive would work better?
I think it would be hard to keep the spray only on the part that gets sewn down. Maybe the glue would be better-it's elmer's school glue and there are some tutorials in the tutorial section about how to use it on binding.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by gale
Does anyone use spray adhesive instead of pins or clips? I am new and working on a baby quilt and thought the adhesive would work better?
I think it would be hard to keep the spray only on the part that gets sewn down. Maybe the glue would be better-it's elmer's school glue and there are some tutorials in the tutorial section about how to use it on binding.
I agree. I sometimes use the spray to adhere my three layers on very large quilts but only on the wrong side of the fabrics. I'm not too trusting of it on the right sides so I wouldn't want it to overspray, which would be impossible to avoid with a thin binding strip and large spray range.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:31 AM

The Clips are amazing and I don't rip up my hands with the pins. One of the ladies in my group came with her binding clipped and that was the end of pins for me!! They stay put and seem to be more stable. Try it and you will like it!
Old 07-22-2010, 07:48 PM

I have them and absolutely love them. Pins come out way too easy, and prick me.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:49 PM

I have them and absolutely love them. Pins come out way too easy, and prick me.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:55 PM
Dee

I use the clips also.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:01 PM

Clips are great. They don't fall out, they stay put, and you can't poke yourself with them.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:52 PM

Binding clips are so easy to use. You clip them on - they hold the binding up flat - no more getting stabbed with pins. You can easily remove or place with one hand. I had gotten mine when a lqs was closing and didn't use them for two years. When I saw someone else using them I pulled mine out. I no longer use pins when I hand sew my binding down. (And if you drop any on the floor, you can see them!)
Old 07-23-2010, 08:37 PM

So how does the center of the batting stay in place with clips? Don't the clips just go around the edges of the quilt? I was thinking of putting the quilt on my wall with a plastic flannel tablecolth (flannel side up so the fabric sticks to it then putting my quilt up and spraying the batting then placing the top on the batting?
Old 07-23-2010, 08:59 PM

So how does the center of the batting stay in place with clips? Don't the clips just go around the edges of the quilt? I was thinking of putting the quilt on my wall with a plastic flannel tablecolth (flannel side up so the fabric sticks to it then putting my quilt up and spraying the batting then placing the top on the batting?
The clips are meant only for holding the binding down while you stitch it. I usually hand stitch my final step on the back. It's so easy to remove the clips as you go.