Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what's your best advice to beginner for keeping 1/4" seam consistent? >

what's your best advice to beginner for keeping 1/4" seam consistent?

what's your best advice to beginner for keeping 1/4" seam consistent?

Old 01-29-2017, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
I've had the best luck with the 1/4" foot that has the edge guide.
I'm with katier825, this foot has made my piecing so much better and putting my blocks together is 90% improved! I still have to deal with ME! LOL
Old 01-29-2017, 05:49 PM

Welcome beginner, I have several ways not sure what machine you have; but all machines come with open toe foot if your machine does not have needle move position to 1/4" seam. Align your fabric edge with the edge of your open toe foot, (please use scrap fabric) then one you have stitch seam take it out and measure should be prefect 1/4" seam.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:11 PM

As a "true beginner," I used a Fons & Porter ruler; draw a line to follow. Later used a "free John Flynn card" that had a 1/4 inch ruler guide. My new Janome has a 1/4 foot and has multiple coded patchwork 1/4 settings. I use a 1/4 metal guide to check accuracy. This was suggested on a Training Online course.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:22 PM
Power Poster

I have tried all different ways. For a long time now I just use the 1/4" line on the throat plate on my machines. Works great for me.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by mamagrande View Post
I have been quilting for over 20 yrs and was taught to stack masking tape several layers thick, be sure that the edges are straight, find the 1/4 inch and place the tape. 20 yrs later I still use that method..even if I have a quarter inch foot.

This is the method that worked best when I gave summer camp sewing lessons. Each student had a different machine so just adding tape worked just fine. These were children 8 - 12 yrs old. It was lots of fun we tied the comforters and I bound them on the machine.[ATTACH=CONFIG]567005[/ATTACH]
I love the quilt on the wall behind you. One of my Aunts did the cross-stitches for me and an Amish neighbor did the quilting in 1976.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:02 AM
Suz

Or you can use a stack of "post-it" notes at the 1/4". Pull off the bottom one when it no longer sticks. This is how I have taught children. And just a reminder as I used to tell the children. Watch where the fabric feed along the guide. The needle is not going anywhere, just up and down but the fabric needs to feed accurately.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:34 AM

Fantastic diagram Jan in VA! Thank you.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:15 PM

I marked the quarter inch measurement on the long side of a 3" x 5" index card, then put my needle down through center of the line (no thread), and used the edge of the card as a template to draw a line with a permanent marker right on the bed of the machine. It does fade with time and use, so I draw it again as needed. I do extend the line past the needle position to avoid the "cut corner" problem I seem to have at the end of seams. Works great.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Bearpawquilter View Post
A true 1/4" seam is too big and doesn't allow for the space taken by thread and folding. Another thing that has helped is using thinner thread. When I started using Aurifil 50 wt. thread for piecing, the clouds parted and the sun came out!
You have that so right. But sometimes you have to be really careful about getting the 1/4 in too scant.
I made a strip set of seven different fabrics, then cut them up into squares. I should have gotten three squares out of WOF strips, but they were too short. Because of the scant seam, the squares were a little bigger.
Those squares (two squares and a short one) are still sitting in my sewing room. I haven't the heart to try to figure it out. I could sew each seam on the two of them just a little closer to 1/4 inch. Then at least I could use them with the rest of the quilt . . . . when I get back working on the rest of the quilt.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
You have that so right. But sometimes you have to be really careful about getting the 1/4 in too scant.
I made a strip set of seven different fabrics, then cut them up into squares. I should have gotten three squares out of WOF strips, but they were too short. Because of the scant seam, the squares were a little bigger.
Those squares (two squares and a short one) are still sitting in my sewing room. I haven't the heart to try to figure it out. I could sew each seam on the two of them just a little closer to 1/4 inch. Then at least I could use them with the rest of the quilt . . . . when I get back working on the rest of the quilt.
maviskw, LOL, of such are UFO's born. That's why we have such a great UFO Challenge group on this board. We all understand that part of...... when I get back working on..... Hugs and smilessssssss.