Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what's your best advice to beginner for keeping 1/4" seam consistent? >

what's your best advice to beginner for keeping 1/4" seam consistent?

what's your best advice to beginner for keeping 1/4" seam consistent?

Old 01-29-2017, 07:43 AM

I rely on 1/4 inch foot and being able to move my needle. Took me awhile to realize that fabric and thread type need to be taken into account in order to keep pieces the correct size.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:31 AM

I believe that a quarter inch foot (without the guide) would help you wonders. Just follow the side of the foot and your seams will be perfect. You could put down painters tape to use far a guide but feel like the quarter inch foot is all you need. Good luck and be consistent!
Old 01-29-2017, 09:08 AM

I use a magnetic seam guide that I got at Joann's. It helps me to keep my seams straight. I also am not as concerned about an exact, precise 1/4" seam as I am being consistent when sewing. That means all my seams are the same width. I've not had a problem w/ things not going together smoothly.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:13 AM

Thanks for your good explanation, Jan in VA. I, too, will benefit from your answer. I love the rubber band idea. I have an expensive new machine so I don't want to stick anything on the bed or needle plate. Sticky notes won't make a mess and the rubber band will hold it. Thanks so much!
Old 01-29-2017, 10:32 AM

This is what I do as well. I use of long piece of painters' tape and start in front of needle plate and continue it behind the needle tape to assure an accurate 1/4" seam. I have tried just about every solution available including the 1/4" foot, but the painters tape works best for me.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:22 AM

I taped an old hotel key card to my machine bed, so that the edge is aligned to give a nice scant 1/4". I tried an elastic like Jan suggests instead of tape, but that kept my extension table from fitting properly. I like the key card because it's the same thickness as two layers of fabric.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:33 PM

I have 1/4" feet for all my sewing machines and don't use any of them. If I do, I find that my blocks are consistently undersize. This is much worse than a little oversize that can be trimmed a little. Instead I use a regular zigzag foot and my side to side increments to achieve a SCANT 1/4" seam. Very important. A true 1/4" seam is too big and doesn't allow for the space taken by thread and folding. Another thing that has helped is using thinner thread. When I started using Aurifil 50 wt. thread for piecing, the clouds parted and the sun came out! I bought a cone of light grey that works for most piecing and use a cone holder. Only one of my machines doesn't like it (tension problems). Seam size problems get worse the more pieces in the block and thus more seams. Make one whole block and measure it. Then if the block is too small adjust accordingly. You will only have one block to remake. I have to use a leader on my main machine or it eats the thread, makes a bird's nest on the back, eats the point, and tangles with the bobbin. This machine has a thread cutter that holds the threads (perhaps that is what it is for) but I have not trained myself to use it. Maybe it is time! And also maybe it is time to start using starch.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:54 PM

My advice would be to not freak out over it.

You'll learn by trial and error and practice and seeing what works best for you and your machine. If you want your quilt to be perfect, make that as a goal, but not a goal that is set in cement. It's ok if things don't match up perfectly. It helps if they do, or if you intend to compete with your quilts. This process should be about relaxing and fun to do and not to stress out over. There are a lot of different ways to achieve a 1/4" seam so try out the different ways to do this and pick one that you like best.
Old 01-29-2017, 03:22 PM
Power Poster

I have some quilter's tape and it's 1/4" Turns out I use it a lot. I also use the leaders/enders at the beginning and ending. I cutsome tumblers which is nice because you get 2 quilts going.
Old 01-29-2017, 04:37 PM

knew I could count on your for some excellent ideas--will pass them along to the beginner class. Spending a little more time on it next week is needed--most are getting it, but some understand how to find the 1/4" but just can't keep it for very long, so these are really great ideas. I'm going to buy a pack of bamboo skewers for next week--they will be doing a drunkard's path and will need it then too.