Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: What's your best advice for a new Quilter?

Quote Originally Posted by purplefiend
    Quilter's Complete Guide by Fons & Porter is the quilter's bible IMHO. I used to teach quilt classes and recommended that all my beginner quilters get themselves a copy.
    Relax and have fun! Remember that it takes time to learn the new skills you need to become a quilter, lots of lingo to learn too. Don't be so hard on yourself. This is supposed to be fun.
    Always,always remember to close your rotary cutter when you're done with a cut, its very sharp.
    :D :D :D :D No matter how flustratted you remember every experienced quilter was at the point you are at right now.

do not let it upset you when you make a mistake. just keep on having fun and after you have made that number 100 quilt you will laugh about when you first started

Quote Originally Posted by purplefiend
    Quilter's Complete Guide by Fons & Porter is the quilter's bible IMHO. I used to teach quilt classes and recommended that all my beginner quilters get themselves a copy.
    Relax and have fun! Remember that it takes time to learn the new skills you need to become a quilter, lots of lingo to learn too. Don't be so hard on yourself. This is supposed to be fun.
    Always,always remember to close your rotary cutter when you're done with a cut, its very sharp.
    :D :D :D :D No matter how flustratted you ge remember every experienced quilter was at the point you are at right not.

do not let it upset you when you make a mistake. just keep on having funn and aafter you have made thatnumber 100 quilt you will laugh about when you first started

Have Fun. Don't worry about the quilt police there are none. Invest in a good ripper we all have them. You will learn something from evey quilt that you make.

Great tips! The hardest thing I learned was to enjoy the process, don't get caught up in the end product.

Keep your eyes & ears open to other quilters. That was my biggest lesson when first learning to quilt.
    Realize that without an accurate 1/4" seam nothing else is going to work. Ask me how I know.

Blog Entries
    start with easy patterns and learn the fundamentals, straight seams, and accurate cutting,

Quote Originally Posted by Emma S
    Great tips! The hardest thing I learned was to enjoy the process, don't get caught up in the end product.
    Emma, I so agree with you. The process is my biggest thrill. I lose interest in it once a piece is finished.

Blog Entries
    Make sure, when you do your borders, to measure across the MIDDLE of the quilt, not along the edge, to get the measurement. This will save you many heartaches/redos when you look at your rippled-edged quilt.

Super Member Luv Quilts and Cats's Avatar
    Do Not Be Afraid!

My biggest problem is squaring the material. Like I have a lot of material that friends have sent or just given too me around here. Well one was a 100% cotton fitted sheet and I don't know where too start. I can's seem too hold the template down and not let it slip. AND I can only turn certain ways since I don't have a left hip so therefore the whole thing slips and slides and today I cut one piece so many times that it is down too nothing. Yet it started out at 6in. How do you know how too turn your material too start and I really think that this sheet is not 100% cotton but I didn't look at when she first gave it too me in a bag of skirts too cut up. Just like these skirts. Where do I start or know how too turn my fabric too cut squares. Sometimes I get so stressed that I just walk off and leave it and think I may never be able to master this. the sewing I can do, but really having a hard time cutting my patterns. Any suggestions!

Power Poster
    Take your time. Be acurate and enjoy every minute of the process.

I'm a beginner, too, and experienced some of the same problems.

Re the sheet: it may have some kind of sizing in it that makes it slippery; also, I read somewhere that sheets are hard to hand-quilt.

Re the slipping ruler: you can put little circles of extra-fine sandpaper on the backside to help hold it in place. There's also a plastic called "InvisiGrip" that can be put on the back of the ruler: JoAnn's has it, I'm sure other places do also.

Also, slow down, cut a little, stop, move your other hand ahead, then cut a little more, etc. I find that the ruler seldom slips right where my "holding" hand is, so I've been moving it more often to avoid the slipping.

Don't give up! It takes time to learn how to cut accurately, but it saves time if your pieces are "right" to start with.

Jory

walmarts precut pieces will shrink, therefore you wont have enough fabric. its a cheap cut if fabric. they are going backwards in that dept. now to cut costs, and cut personnel.
    the pits! anyways

for a new quilter, buy the basic supplies, do not buy every ruler or rotary told about, weigh your needs and options, like i have 5 rotarys brands, like only one of them, dont buy just cause its on sale, but be aware of sales and coupons. lots of things you dont need, but if you need scissorss get the best-ginghers about 40.00, they cut like butta-no advertiser. always keep yiour fabrics in order and away from light. sort your scraps. read quiltville.com also ask, dont be afraid to

I would suggest you read as many quilt books as you can so you can understand different techniques. Make the first quilt for yourself no matter how bad it will look when finished. Ask questions form other quilters. Wash your fabrics until NO dye is coming out. Iron all your fabric with plenty of starch, PRESS every step of the sewing not iron. check and square up as you go and above all ENJOY BEING A QUILTER. WELCOME TO THE CLUB.
    When you buy your rulers make sure they are all the same brand with the thin lines if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Holice
    accurate measuring
    accurate cutting
    accurate piecing
    Take your time and you will have more success. Choose small projects with colors you love. Remember all mistakes are learning opportunities. Have fun. :-o

Whatever you decide to do, do it a lot. Practice will instill the basics, and from there anything you want to do will go much easier.

And if you want to do 'wrong', go ahead. :) I like making a huge mess just to see what will turn out.

Don't fall into the trap of buying expensive kits, books and yardage. Buy 1m of focus fabric, maybe half a metre of co - ordinating fabric and 20cm strips of other contrasting/coordinating fabrics as needed. Choose a relatively simple pattern from internet sites such as World Wide Quilting Page, which gives instructions for each block. From then on, practice makes perfect.

I must agree with Scissor Queen...quilting can be so much fun if you just ...Relax and enjoy the process. Remember, unless you are needing to quilt for a living, just get the most enjoyment out of it you can.

My advice from one newbie to another:

1. Figure out exactly where you need to sew to make a 1/4 inch seam and either adjust your machine's settings or mark it in some way (there is a difference between a scant 1/4 inch as well)

2. You might as well name your seam ripper now (I named mine Jack)

3. Always stick to the same ruler brand when cutting because accuracy is important (they are not calibrated I promise)

4. NEVER CUT WHEN TIRED (Can you tell I've screwed up a few things because of this?)

5. Take a class from a teacher who makes sense to you because we don't all learn the same way (or have a quilting buddy who can guide you)

6. Get extra fabric just in case (I am still buying a little extra fabric for those "oops" moments in cutting)

Everyone's learning curve is different. If you've been sewing a long time adding quilting to your arsenol may be very quick. If you are just learning how to drive your sewing machine it will take longer. Just realize that and give yourself a break when you are ripping something for the nth time.

MNM

Quote Originally Posted by Holice
    accurate measuring
    accurate cutting
    accurate piecing
    The best advise you will ever get. MNM

take your time, measure twice, then measure again, be accurate with your 1/4 inch seams, take a deep breath, and enjoy every minute of it

don't listen to quilt snobs, there are no "rules"

Banned
    i thought of another.

Find a ruler (brand) you like. Most begin with the 6"x24"
    and stay with that brand unless you need a special ruler for a project.

All rulers are not created (printed/marked) equally.

Use you ruler for measuring and not the marks on your cutting mat. I took a class and instructor said to lay the ruler so edge of the fabric is on the left of the ruler line. This assures accuracy in the measurement and it works.

Banned
    These are all good advice! Just remember, you quilt because it is fun! You don't have to do it!

I've only made 3 quilts and am on my 4th but the best thing I would say is to be patient and if things aren't going right, stop, take a break and start up again later. Helps me everytime!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast