Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

Thread: What's your best advice for a new Quilter?

Quote Originally Posted by Andii
    I'm fairly new to quilting-haven't completed a quilt yet-and I have learned so much...the first thing that comes to mind is always pre-wash your fabric. I know there are different views on this but I have been handwashing fabric before use and I cannot believe all of the die that comes out! I thought reds were the worst but I am finding blues and greens keep bleeding.

Don't be afraid of the fabric. When I first started I didn't want to cut into new fabric and ruin it but the more I work with it the easier it becomes.

Although I'm listing it last it really is the most important thing to measure and cut accurately.

Good luck and enjoy it. :thumbup:
    Are you people who are pre-washing your fabric actually using soap? I never do. I rinse any fabric (sometimes several times) that will be used in a quilt that will be washed to see if it bleeds dye and then put it in the dryer to shrink it however much it wants to shrink.

If it is to be used in a wallhanging, I don't pre-rinse and dry.

I always use a detergent (fragrance free) that has no fabric softener in it. I have a lot of allergies and find this works best for me.

Have fun!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    This board, they teach you everything hear. God bless.

also remove all cats from cutting mat, preferably the room itself.

Blog Entries
    I found the neatest tip in one of my quilting magazines. I have always been afraid to wash my fat quarters for fear of ending up with a bunch of threads - but get this one.

"To wash small pieces of fabric without fraying the edges, put them in a salad spinner, rather than a washing machine. Spin with hot water and soap. Rinse in cool water, drain and spin. Press the pieces dry."

Move over lettuce. I have a new quilting tool!!!! Edie

This is a great idea, and I will try it in the future, thanks, Sharay

Hi, I think I would suggest measuring and cutting is the main thing when first starting out. I have trouble picking out the material, the color set up is very hard for me. Good Luck and have fun, Sharay

Blog Entries
    Do not be afraid of the process. Do a lot of research on the computer and in books. I have learned a lot this way. U-tube is a great thing. I still use my books for reference from time to time. Do not compare your work to someone elses. We all have different taste. Do what you like. Always try something new. Most of all have FUN!!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by purplefiend
    True. Cats aren't as much help as they think they are!

Large dogs have to go outside to so they don't bump one's elbow or table as you're cutting and then the cutter jumps over the ruler and gets your finger(true story). OUCH,Ouch

Quote Originally Posted by AudreyB
    Quote Originally Posted by purplefiend
    True. Cats aren't as much help as they think they are!

Pick a simple project to begin with, but one for yourself and not as a gift. That will give you time to practice and not feel the pressure of being so perfect. Then purchase the appropriate tools as you go for each project until you have a good assortment of utensils. Also make each project something totally new so you learn as you go along. I like making small wall hangings or throws, maybe even a pillow top, to learn different techniques and blends. It's a self paced program that has me doing the best I can though I do not have enough time to sew right now. Working outside the home 30 hours week is too much. Just make it fun and don't stress over any of it...just enjoy yourself.

Dee
    Relax, Enjoy and take your time. Its a hobby not an assembly line. Measure, measure and then cut. Love what you are doing.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5