Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's your best advice for a new Quilter? >

What's your best advice for a new Quilter?

What's your best advice for a new Quilter?

Old 09-04-2010, 07:34 AM

Don't expect perfection--ever. Quilt for the sheer joy of it.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:35 AM

Choose a small simple project like a wall hanging or pillow to do. Use colors that you just LOVE.
Don't be too much of a perfectionist...it's your first and you want to finish it.
Take classes if you can. Quilters love to help newbies.

My first class, was to learn EVERYTHING and make a sampler quilt. No one told me to choose a small project. I choose to make a king sized quilt....never got finished...was overwhelming amount of work. Ended up not liking the color combination. And feel guilty that it is still in a box up in my closet unfinished....The good part of this little tale though is that I had a good teacher who stressed all that has already been mentioned like accuracy of measuring and cutting and I learned the basics of many techniques. Just learn from our mistakes. Start with a SMALL project that you will be able to finish and make yourself proud. Also use good quality fabric because it won't hold up well if you don't and you will be wasting your time, effort and money.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:09 AM

I AM a new quilter, and appreciate this thread so much!! Unfortunately, I tackled my first full-size quilt BEFORE I read your good advice! But what you are all saying is so true! I had no idea it could be so hard to measure, cut and piece a block, never mind assembling those blocks!

I've been plugging along all summer on this quilt and have learned a great deal --but now I'm despairing that it will never be done! (It's appliqué and hand-quilted in a "quilt-as-you-go" project I created for myself). Many of the problems I've experienced are related to the latter decision -- e.g., didn't estimate yardage correctly, decided to piece part of the backing (stupid!), didn't mark before I basted, etc.

Can someone virtually hold my hand and tell me that it WILL be finished someday? Please?

Jory
Old 09-04-2010, 08:13 AM

1/4 inch seam allowance, if you have done any type of sewing before this was a hard part for me. I ended up buying a 1/4 foot and practice with it. Dont make it harder than it actually is. Start small then work up to a quilt. Coasters, pot holders, table runners, wall hangings,then move on to quilts. Always finish what you start, no matter how bad it looks, pratice is worth it.

Barbara
Old 09-04-2010, 08:18 AM

Some excellent tips. I've printed these out as I'll be teaching my good friend and my daughter how to quilt later this month! They are from Hawaii so have seen the Hawaiian style of quilting, but not much from here on the mainland...a whole different "ball game"! Ohhhh, we'll have fun!
Old 09-04-2010, 08:19 AM

Don't stress! That was my problem and take your time. Nothing can't be fixed to quote my quilt teacher. I am a beginner also and I just take my time especially with cutting.Good luck!!!
Old 09-04-2010, 08:22 AM

Feel me holding your hand and saying it will get done. If you need a break on it start something else thats nice and simple.Good luck.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:23 AM

I think squaring up would be a good thing to learn on first project. I also think a good explanation as to the reasons you want to wash. press, and starch your fabric before you start cutting. Then to get some extra fabric if they haven't used a rotary cutter before. Also some good clear directions on how to best use the cutter., along with storage hints for the self-mending matt.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:38 AM

When getting started quilting, get a pattern and follow it. Don't free lance on your first project. As you work on that first project, you will mentally make notes of how you would do it different/better/quicker/more to your liking. So, after getting a bit of experience, then you can THEN do a similar project implementing your own variation.

Following a pattern to get started is like following a recipe in cooking; the recipe is the best way for MOST people to get a certain result. After you understand the basics of the recipe, then you can put your own twist on it because you are not MOST people.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:01 AM

keeping an open mind. If you close it, you miss alot of wonderful things :)