Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's your best advice for a new Quilter? >

What's your best advice for a new Quilter?

What's your best advice for a new Quilter?

Old 09-04-2010, 10:05 AM

Don't be too critical of your own work, it doesn't have to be perfect. You are always learning with each quilt and every one is more precious than the first one.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:47 AM

FUN!!!

Don't worry too much about the accuracy. It develops with practice.

Don't worry too much about what's an "appropriate beginner" project. All the skills needed for any project can be learnt step by step by diving in and doing them. Making a small practice square of less precious fabrics can help you free up and give yourself permission to explore. Fabulous tutorials are available online (quiltingboard, youtube...) and in books. Quiltingboard is a superb support network for practical questions.

Remember how kids play? Having fun and learning at the same time. Allow yourself to play with some fabrics (not the ones you find too beautiful to cut right now). Make a small practice square or two or three, it will teach you loads and tell you what you most love doing at this point. Then from your own experience decide what challenge you want - a bigger or smaller project, simple or intricate... Some people like following patterns. Others prefer to make up their own thing (I'm one of those, I actually find it easier). Either is fine. Go with what you love and it'll be worth doing.

(Can you tell I'm self-taught and not afraid of trying whatever I fancy? If I can do it, anyone can.)

Did I mention FUN!!!
Old 09-04-2010, 11:17 AM

my first quilt was a twin sized red white and blue 9 patch made from kettle cloth and a red remnant that was just enough, it was all polyester and will never die! lol
I used a cardboard template made from a cereal box and it got smaller as I drew around it for each square and all cut with scissors(took forever). I still don't know how I managed to get that quilt top sewn together. It took me 3 years to hand quilt it. DS got it when he was 10, he helped with the quilting too. DH was horrified that I was turning our son into a sissy.(very big sigh)
Old 09-04-2010, 11:49 AM

Start with a pattern that doesn't require the points/corners to match up. Use fabric you like but didn't cost a fortune. Find a really cute panel and practice your binding, quilting or tying on it. Someone said 'get to know your sewing machine' and I couldn't agree more. I had a walking foot that came with my machine and had no idea what it was or what to do with it! I learned to use my owner's manual! So much great advice on this thread. Wish I had all this knowledge two years ago when I started!
Old 09-04-2010, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by mama's place
Choose a small simple project like a wall hanging or pillow to do. Use colors that you just LOVE.
Don't be too much of a perfectionist...it's your first and you want to finish it.
Take classes if you can. Quilters love to help newbies.

My first class, was to learn EVERYTHING and make a sampler quilt. No one told me to choose a small project. I choose to make a king sized quilt....never got finished...was overwhelming amount of work. Ended up not liking the color combination. And feel guilty that it is still in a box up in my closet unfinished....The good part of this little tale though is that I had a good teacher who stressed all that has already been mentioned like accuracy of measuring and cutting and I learned the basics of many techniques. Just learn from our mistakes. Start with a SMALL project that you will be able to finish and make yourself proud. Also use good quality fabric because it won't hold up well if you don't and you will be wasting your time, effort and money.
Please go back and finish it. I love making sampler quilts and I would so much like for you to feel the enjoyment out of it. The bigger the better - just keep saying that. I am going to be starting one I am thinking around 108x136 - 48 - 12" blocks...6 across - 8 down. I wish you so much luck and fun and so much satisfaction when you have it all sewn to the sashing and the dog is laying on top of it - THEN you know it is a job well done!!!!! KEEP US POSTED if you are going to continue! Edie
Old 09-04-2010, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Quilter's Complete Guide by Fons & Porter is the quilter's bible IMHO. I used to teach quilt classes and recommended that all my beginner quilters get themselves a copy.
Relax and have fun! Remember that it takes time to learn the new skills you need to become a quilter, lots of lingo to learn too. Don't be so hard on yourself. This is supposed to be fun.
Always,always remember to close your rotary cutter when you're done with a cut, its very sharp.
:D :D :D :D No matter how flustratted you remember every experienced quilter was at the point you are at right now.

do not let it upset you when you make a mistake. just keep on having fun and after you have made that number 100 quilt you will laugh about when you first started
Old 09-04-2010, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Quilter's Complete Guide by Fons & Porter is the quilter's bible IMHO. I used to teach quilt classes and recommended that all my beginner quilters get themselves a copy.
Relax and have fun! Remember that it takes time to learn the new skills you need to become a quilter, lots of lingo to learn too. Don't be so hard on yourself. This is supposed to be fun.
Always,always remember to close your rotary cutter when you're done with a cut, its very sharp.
:D :D :D :D No matter how flustratted you ge remember every experienced quilter was at the point you are at right not.

do not let it upset you when you make a mistake. just keep on having funn and aafter you have made thatnumber 100 quilt you will laugh about when you first started
Old 09-04-2010, 03:05 PM

Have Fun. Don't worry about the quilt police there are none. Invest in a good ripper we all have them. You will learn something from evey quilt that you make.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:20 PM

Great tips! The hardest thing I learned was to enjoy the process, don't get caught up in the end product.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:33 PM

Keep your eyes & ears open to other quilters. That was my biggest lesson when first learning to quilt.
Realize that without an accurate 1/4" seam nothing else is going to work. Ask me how I know.